Thoughts on Kelderman 4 link suspension for an offroad expedtion Camper

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Custom Deaver springs sound good. I wouldn't want Carli's soft rear leafs on a high cog heavy rig. Just today I met a guy with the Carli Deavers and he tows a heavy toy hauler. The truck wanders all over the place even with specially valved 2.5 Foxes. He's going to North County Spring in Escondido for a custom pack.

So his are off the shelf Deaver's sold thru Carli? Not custom Deaver's?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Deavers are not what they used to be. I gave up on them after the 3rd bogus “custom” set for 3 different trucks (FJ40, FJ60 and Tundra) that weren’t even close to what I needed.

Some folks still rave about them and I’m guessing they are just happy with something better than stock and not savy on how good a properly tuned suspension could be.

I’m always weary when companies pimp other companies stuff. I’m willing to bet tacos Goose Gear didn’t pay for those Deavers. Soooo.....

So boss, who should we call? Ghostbusters? Alcan? National? Oregon?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
So boss, who should we call? Ghostbusters? Alcan? National? Oregon?

It's really a total crap shoot... The FWC folks seem to swear by Boise Spring in Idaho. I also had 2 bogus sets from them as well, one came stock height, one came so arched i couldn't even bolt them up. I posted the pics of them are somewhere on the FWC owners group FB page, you'll laugh when you see them. THEY HAD ONE JOB!!! :p

I do almost all my own work. Swapping out leaf springs is a chore and a PITA, its quite rage inducing when companies crap dont work

My magic sauce ended up being 2.5" Old Man Emu Dakar packs with 2 OME add a leafs per pack. Rode amazing, flex well, and handled the load perfectly without bags. Everyone that drove my truck commented on it.

Leaf springs are voodoo science, and require a lot of trial and error. The chances you get a custom pack for a custom truck that work well from the get go is close to nill.

FWIW, i've heard several folks having good luck with National and Atlas recently. I have no personal experience with either.

I think bringing the truck to said place doing the springs is a must do requirement. Doing it all mail order is brain damagingly frustrating when it dont work

java

Expedition Leader
It's really a total crap shoot... The FWC folks seem to swear by Boise Spring in Idaho. I also had 2 bogus sets from them as well, one came stock height, one came so arched i couldn't even bolt them up. I posted the pics of them are somewhere on the FWC owners group FB page, you'll laugh when you see them. THEY HAD ONE JOB!!!

I do almost all my own work. Swapping out leaf springs is a chore and a PITA, its quite rage inducing when companies crap dont work

My magic sauce ended up being 2.5" Old Man Emu Dakar packs with 2 OME add a leafs per pack. Rode amazing, flex well, and handled the load perfectly without bags. Everyone that drove my truck commented on it.

Leaf springs are voodoo science, and require a lot of trial and error. The chances you get a custom pack for a custom truck that work well from the get go is close to nill.

FWIW, i've heard several folks having good luck with National and Atlas recently. I have no personal experience with either.

I think bringing the truck to said place doing the springs is a must do requirement. Doing it all mail order is brain damagingly frustrating when it dont work
In person 100% a must..... Don't ask me about Atlas.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Frostbit907

im pretty set on doing the 2 stage rear kit on my next build, manual fill only, none of the complicate nonsense

Your youtube videos are excellent. Thanks for them. We are likely building a Ram 5500 with a custom Sherptek bed for our Bigfoot 10.4 truck camper. You installed the rear four link in your video but here say you would go with the two stage rear on the next build. How come?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your youtube videos are excellent. Thanks for them. We are likely building a Ram 5500 with a custom Sherptek bed for our Bigfoot 10.4 truck camper. You installed the rear four link in your video but here say you would go with the two stage rear on the next build. How come?

Thanks for the kind words

If ya look at the date of the 2 stage comment it was way before I even had the truck in my possession.

I said that because the instructions on their site show a whole bunch of cutting and torching off the frame. Wasn’t going to do that on a brand new truck. So I had originally planned the 2 stage.

But... when I finally picked up truck and got it in my possession, everything they mentioned cutting is now bolted on for the 2019+ trucks so I went for it.

It’s night and day mind blowing better

I actually just did the front too. It’s needs a little tweaking, but drastic improvement for sure.

I’ll post more details on that on my build thread soon once I get it dialed

MaxxdOut

Thanks for the kind words

If ya look at the date of the 2 stage comment it was way before I even had the truck in my possession.

I said that because the instructions on their site show a whole bunch of cutting and torching off the frame. Wasn’t going to do that on a brand new truck. So I had originally planned the 2 stage.

But... when I finally picked up truck and got it in my possession, everything they mentioned cutting is now bolted on for the 2019+ trucks so I went for it.

It’s night and day mind blowing better

I actually just did the front too. It’s needs a little tweaking, but drastic improvement for sure.

I’ll post more details on that on my build thread soon once I get it dialed

I wasn’t aware you switch to the front system as well. It’s my understanding Kelderman only sells stock height systems. How did that work with SS conversion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles