Thoughts on Kelderman 4 link suspension for an offroad expedtion Camper

S2DM

Adventurer
Man, despite having already purchased it and the kit sitting in my driveway, I think I may have been scared off from doing the install. After the kit arrived, I got updates from four different sets of folks who'd had big problems with theirs. One to the point that they took it back off the truck, though in fairness, it was a different kit.

My fear is that we don't do that much domestic travel, and having had some other parts fail from other manufacturers our last trip, I know how much it blows to have that happen south of the border. In talks currently to see what deaver could put together for a custom rear spring pack. The prices are pretty reasonable and the install is easy, so I think I may try the deaver route, and see how it works. Its certainly a much simpler solution. I'm sure it won't be as cushy on road or on washboards, but not having to trouble shoot it in the middle of nowhere is likely priceless. I'll update as things progress. Such a hard decision, tons of positive reviews out there as well, but mostly from the domestic travel crowd.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You can't beat the simplicity of leaf springs. You should also look into Atlas Spring. They do a ton of work on big trucks. I have their springs on my F350 crew cab and put them through tons of hard offroad miles with no problems.

IMG_8527.jpg

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
You can't beat the simplicity of leaf springs. You should also look into Atlas Spring. They do a ton of work on big trucks. I have their springs on my F350 crew cab and put them through tons of hard offroad miles with no problems.

View attachment 417231

Thanks. I'd read about them as well. Seemed the balance of opinion was slightly in favor of Deaver, but opinions are like.... :) I don't think the Deaver will be as cush as the kelderman, and I was really excited about the automatic leveling. But, after our problems with the overland explorer stuff we purchased this year and had to ditch entirely, I don't want to add anything else that has even a hint of problems reported.

If anyone becomes interested, I'm selling a full kelderman f450-550 earthroamer air ride set up. Hadley compressor and controls, 4 link rear, 2 stage front. I also got 2 extra bags and designed a simple manual over ride system that also comes with the kit. Allows you to convert the whole set up to manual fill in about 20 minutes and fill with an auxilliary compressor. The kelderman kit is unopened and in original packaging. I'll sell it for 1k less than I paid.

I think the kelderman is a great option for North America travel, but..it is a little complicated and requires occasional service. We pretty much only use the rig in remote areas or Baja and I'm gun shy about more equipment failures. So, my loss, your gain.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
When I started, I was convinced that the Kelderman was the way forward based on Earthroamer etc. However after dialogs with those who have put serious miles abroad in non continental US places (like Europe, Mexico, Alaska & Australia), I changed my plan towards staying with a more traditional suspension. Mostly around being able to get parts if I need to repair something abroad to get home or keep going.

I went RAM 3500 4x4, with BDS 3" Leveling & Stock leaf springs. I ended up weighing approx #11,500 with water & fuel. Sounds like you are heavier. I did see you have moved forward with the Kelderman. I am sure it will be great. I am just sharing my thoughts for the group. I am interested to read how it worked once done.

Have a look at the pictures and articulations I was able to achieve.
View attachment 412499View attachment 412500View attachment 412501

Can someone please post this build thread for this beauty? :)

Healeyjet

Explorer
Scott, I am so sorry I missed chiming in on this thread until now. We have 60,000 miles on our 5500 and have only had two issues with the Kelderman system. We have the Hadley system of compressors. We had both compressors fail in south Carolina and had to get replacements. We now have the manual fill valves and an on board air so we are all set. We carry an extra bag and the compressors are the same as used in the Mercedes air ride system so they are not rare and we soon will carry a spare of those as well. The only other issue we had was the screen developed a color change and Ibwas afraid it would impact the system, which it did not. We changed the screen anyways. What we did not like about the system is the constant reassessing, for lack of a better term, of the air in the bags and now let the camper level up when we start it and I switch to manual so the compressors don’t run nearly as much. We put probably 97% highway miles on the rig being located in Canada. We absolutely love our system still. I am interested to see how yours rides. I would say what we like most is the ability to level the camper when we stop. I am sure there are other ways to accomplish that though. We plan to be through your area mid-Feb and would love to get together again for a visit.
Ward

flylow4500

Observer
If the load isn't changing by more than a four to six hundred pounds the amount of air in the bags doesn't need to change. I have gone months without adding air. I use Asco solenoid valves to add and release air. I only use Oasis or Magnum compressors that have never failed on me. Kelderman vs Springs: I'll take air anyday, Setup correctly (which most people don't do.) air rides better and handles a load better. I've never had a popped bag in any of the kits I've installed (over 500k combined miles.) Only reason in my book to use leafs is articulation.

All of the auto level is way more complicated than it needs to be.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Route I'm going for full rear leafs. Brian at GooseGear is still raving about his Carli 2.5"/Deaver leaf setup; https://expeditionportal.com/featured-vehicle-goose-gears-overland-f-350/
Custom Deaver springs sound good. I wouldn't want Carli's soft rear leafs on a high cog heavy rig. Just today I met a guy with the Carli Deavers and he tows a heavy toy hauler. The truck wanders all over the place even with specially valved 2.5 Foxes. He's going to North County Spring in Escondido for a custom pack.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Custom Deaver springs sound good. I wouldn't want Carli's soft rear leafs on a high cog heavy rig. Just today I met a guy with the Carli Deavers and he tows a heavy toy hauler. The truck wanders all over the place even with specially valved 2.5 Foxes. He's going to North County Spring in Escondido for a custom pack.

Deavers are not what they used to be. I gave up on them after the 3rd bogus “custom” set for 3 different trucks (FJ40, FJ60 and Tundra) that weren’t even close to what I needed.

Some folks still rave about them and I’m guessing they are just happy with something better than stock and not savy on how good a properly tuned suspension could be.

I’m always weary when companies pimp other companies stuff. I’m willing to bet tacos Goose Gear didn’t pay for those Deavers. Soooo.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles