Request: pics/info of your 2009-2014 F150 Supercrew builds

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Does anyone think a supercab 6.5ft bed is a better configuration over the supercrew with 5.5ft bed?

That's always going to be 100% personal preference. If I could only choose between those to options, it would be super crew with 5.5 ft bed, the people that travel with me would thank me.

I have a super crew with 6.5ft bed though, best option out there IMO.

Grassland

Currently, I have no plans to do any regular towing. I don't own a boat, enclosed trailer or camper. Because of that, I'm not focused on the engine with most power or potential. I do want the most reliable motor, so let me know your thoughts if the 3.5 has proven to be more durable with higher mileage than a 5.0.

Is a bed rack capable of supporting more weight on top than a fiberglass shell ?

It always seems like most Overland builds are based on the crew cab/double cab configuration. Is there a reason that cab space takes preference over bed space?

Does anyone think a supercab 6.5ft bed is a better configuration over the supercrew with 5.5ft bed?

Thanks again for the advice.

A proper bed rack will support more weight than 90% of fiberglass toppers and most aluminum commercial grade toppers.

Most builds are crew cabs because most full size trucks sold are crew cabs. They are the modern sedan.

I prefer the increase in bed space with my SCAB, but if I regularly had to seat four adults if be singing a different tune.

I think in 2014 the 3.7 was available in the crew cab, but not sure if also available with 4x4.
I'd list reliability for engines in descending order as 3.7, 5.0, 3.5.
Take that with a grain of salt as there a thousands of 3.5 EcoBoost out there with zero problems with mega miles, but when they do have problems, they aren't cheap.

Try to get one with the factory tow package if possible.

If you can still find RCI skid plates, I recommend them. And you for sure want a fuel tank skid. The tank is like five feet long and plastic.

Try to find the steepest gearing you can, ideally 3.73 so you can run 33s no issue.
Even with a naturally aspirated motor I recommend a tuner to clean up the lazy throttle and shifting as programmed from the factory, and it allows you to account for different size tires.

And the 36 gallon tank is a must!

Last edited:

Grassland

81555351_10163246949675497_7526559199849873408_o.jpg

2014 3.7 SCAB 4x4
Bilstein 5100 shocks at about 1.75" up front, an add a leaf (and taller blocks in this picture) with 5160 remote reservoir shocks in the back. 34x10.5 KO2 (they run small more like a 33)

Roof rack is super light duty only rated for 150#

KWJohnston

Grassland thanks for the advice and the picture. That is a great looking truck! Has a very clean look with the color matched camper shell and roof rack. I like that you used the stock wheels. No need to spend money on stuff just for looks if what you have already performs well.

I am starting to give some thought to the Supercab over the Supercrew. For one thing they are usually cheaper to buy ,that frees up more money to spend on overland modifications. Also If i'm honest I only occasionally carry my daughter in her car seat, and almost never have adults in the back. I agree with you that the crew cab truck is really the modern day family hauler sedan/station wagon.

jmnielsen, you make a good point about the camper shell keeping things dry and out of the weather. In a supercab configuration that is probably an important thing because you have less available cab space than a supercrew.

badmOtOrfinger, thanks for all the pics and info, your bed rack setup looks awesome. The advantage I see in your rack system is that everything is accessible and handy to grab. With the camper shell you have to crawl up inside and rummage around. I can't decide which setup is right for me just yet.

Thanks for all the pics and advice on modifications so far folks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I do want the most reliable motor, so let me know your thoughts if the 3.5 has proven to be more durable with higher mileage than a 5.0.

Honestly, the 3.5 and 5.0 are both good motors. Neither is prone to gernading it's self and there are countless examples with six figure mileage. There are guys with 3.5s with 100k+ miles on them that are pushing 500 rwhp with no issues. There are also guys running 8 pounds of boost on 100k+ mile 5.0s with no issues.

The 3.5 has fewer moving parts than the 5.0 and comes with forged internals. It also turns fewer RPMs to do the same work as the 5.0.

For off road, the 3.5 wins. It has 90% of it's peak torque available from 1700-5000 RPMs. It hits its max TQ at 2500 RPMs. The 5.0 has to rev to 4000 RPMs to hit it's peak TQ. Unless you push the happy peddle to the floor, the 3.5 doesn't exert much.

I've had the 6.5 bed in two work trucks and have the 5.5 bed in my personal truck. Other than being able to haul something longer with the tailgate closed, there isn't a huge difference. Both beds are pretty deep and wide. Where the supercrew wins is the massive back seat and flat floor. It can hold an obnoxious amount of stuff. I have had three adults on my back seat and everyone was comfortable, that's impossible in the super cab.

D

Deleted member 9101

Todd n Natalie, thanks for the link to that build thread. If you google "Overland F150" there are only 2 trucks that will pop up consistently, that Brown supercrew above , and a Red regular cab. Now google "Overland Tacoma" and dozens of real and wanna be real builds pop up!

Best

Simple answer: you have to "build" a Tacoma to make it as capable as a lightly modded 1/2 ton truck. The F150 can run 35s with 3" of lift and the crash bars flipped and doesn't need to be regeared. Many of the mods that guys do to the Tacoma are unnecessary on the F150.

As for "Expo" builds...I assume you mean bolting every possiable accessory in plain sight so the world can admire your credit card limit?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Currently, I have no plans to do any regular towing. I don't own a boat, enclosed trailer or camper. Because of that, I'm not focused on the engine with most power or potential. I do want the most reliable motor, so let me know your thoughts if the 3.5 has proven to be more durable with higher mileage than a 5.0.

Is a bed rack capable of supporting more weight on top than a fiberglass shell ?

It always seems like most Overland builds are based on the crew cab/double cab configuration. Is there a reason that cab space takes preference over bed space?

Thanks again for the advice.

I swear I'm not a shill from Leitner Designs, they're are plenty of other racks that work great, I'm just telling you what I know.

The new "forged" Leitner rack has the following capacities straight from their site:
  • Off-Road Dynamic Weight Capacity | 400
  • On-Road Dynamic Weight Capacity | 800
  • Parked Static Weight Capacity | 1400
And the version I have:
  • Off-Road Dynamic Weight Capacity | 250
  • On-Road Dynamic Weight Capacity | 500
  • Parked Static Weight Capacity | 1000

Your call on whether the extra cost is worth it.

Just my opinion; The Screw w/5.5ft bed is the best selling version (non-fleet vehicle) of the F150 for a reason. It looks the most well proportioned of all the F150s. The Single cab with 8 foot has its place for fleet vehicles, but most people aren't buying those. However I do think it would be kind of fun to buy a single cab, 8ft bed, 4x4 w/5.0 V8 and then get suspension for ICON and a cap... build a sleeping platform in the bed... I've been on submarines, that would be absolutely enormous by comparison.

The 3.5 has fewer moving parts than the 5.0 and comes with forged internals. It also turns fewer RPMs to do the same work as the 5.0.

This claim has me incredulous.

Addition: Here is a better picture of the RCI skid plates

u8TYxef.png

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
This is the first one that came to my mind:

View attachment 568583

Thats very very similar to what I have set up, and for what its worth, he has gotten rid of almost all of that setup.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Todd n Natalie, thanks for the link to that build thread. If you google "Overland F150" there are only 2 trucks that will pop up consistently, that Brown supercrew above , and a Red regular cab. Now google "Overland Tacoma" and dozens of real and wanna be real builds pop up!

Best
You're welcome. Looks like a nice truck. I haven't seen any updates here in some time though.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Sounds gloriois though! That's the only thing I miss.
It does. Quite fun in 'Sport' mode. lol. If you listen hard, you can hear the faint muffle of a Mustang trying to escape. Maybe one day an exhaust would be nice.

Although, I can just hear my young daughter saying every time I floor it 'Congratulations. You have an engine' ? Wouldn't be the first time she made that comment, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles