2006 Mitsubishi Montero Limited worth it.

Paulo

Welcome to the group. Trans flush : normal mainteneance. Motor sound when using the brakes: normal, thats just the pump working. New CV (rebuild the oem ones, dont buy aftermarket): not a big deal, normal for IFS vehicles. Check engine light and traction control lights on: could be a big deal or could be nothing. Go to Autozone or Oreilly and have them read and give you the codes then post back here.

As for Monteros, people are probably gonna get mad at me but imo they are not very reliable if your definition of reliable is not requiring a lot of maintenance. If your definition of reliable is that they last a long time with maintenance then they are very reliable but in that case, a lot of things are.

Monteros have plenty of items that need way more maintenance than most vehicles because of a lot of design drawbacks/flaws and these expenses are compounded by them by very finicky/particular with what brand of parts can be used and a limited service and support network.

Imo - you’ll spend way more money maintaining a Montero then say an Explorer but an Explorer would be a much worse platform for building up for offroading.

What are you looking to do with your rig? If it’s just for daily driving then there might be a lot of other better options because Monteros don’t command/hold their value as well as many other more popular vehicles.

That’s my opinion after having owned around 2 dozen vehicles in my life, 4 being Monteros. That said, they’re my favorite vehicles for overlanding/camping/exploring and if yours is rust free and want to sell just let me know, I could use a low milage one (seriously)!
I second everything you have just said!.. I have a 2006 and have spend more money on Maintenance related issues than any other vehicle I have ever owned!..Some things I have just learned to deal with,..

SONICMASD

Adventurer

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Gen 3: I didn't know there was a relationship between Jatco and Aisin

There isn't, and the real answer is a little more difficult. I believe the 4-speed is known to be Aisin, while the 5-speed is commonly referred to as the Jatco model. However, the 5-speed V5A51 transmission used is not referred to as Aisin or Jatco. Both use the same SP-III fluid specification, but I'm pretty sure Aisin started the fluid spec with the earlier 4-speed. It was also mentioned in some Pajero forums, that the unit is modified from the original manufacturer by Mitsubishi to work best with the Super Select 4WD (hence only the V5A51 designation). They may also be built under license by Mitsubishi, like how FCA builds their own copies of ZF transmissions after paying the licensing fee. I am also skeptical of the use of Jatco, since most transmission companies (mine included) have their own transmission fluid with its own specifications. Why would Jatco versions still use the SP-III fluid developed by another company? Did Mitsubishi modify an Aisin design and have Jatco build them at a lower cost using the same fluid?

It is also said that Jatco was only used on Petrol versions since there were issues with diesels. The diesels returned to Aisin models. There tends to be some conflicting information or several models were in use at the same time from different manufacturers.

In the end, only the fluid specification is important for proper function.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
There isn't, and the real answer is a little more difficult. I believe the 4-speed is known to be Aisin, while the 5-speed is commonly referred to as the Jatco model. However, the 5-speed V5A51 transmission used is not referred to as Aisin or Jatco. Both use the same SP-III fluid specification, but I'm pretty sure Aisin started the fluid spec with the earlier 4-speed. It was also mentioned in some Pajero forums, that the unit is modified from the original manufacturer by Mitsubishi to work best with the Super Select 4WD (hence only the V5A51 designation). They may also be built under license by Mitsubishi, like how FCA builds their own copies of ZF transmissions after paying the licensing fee. I am also skeptical of the use of Jatco, since most transmission companies (mine included) have their own transmission fluid with its own specifications. Why would Jatco versions still use the SP-III fluid developed by another company? Did Mitsubishi modify an Aisin design and have Jatco build them at a lower cost using the same fluid?

It is also said that Jatco was only used on Petrol versions since there were issues with diesels. The diesels returned to Aisin models. There tends to be some conflicting information or several models were in use at the same time from different manufacturers.

In the end, only the fluid specification is important for proper function.

I agree with the fluid type in Gen 3 as being SP3 as well as the older trucks.

I always thought that Aisin was once Toyota and Jatco was once Nissan. I'm sure they both contract out to other OEMs and specs as all Tier 1s now do. Mits probably specified the clutch material to be backwards compatible with the older vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles