Jeep XJ Pop Top Camper Build

wjeeper

Somebody has been connecting dots. That's the thread where I ran across the top. Guy was super cool and traded me some beer for it!

Origins unknown. It appears to be a modified tonneau cover, evidenced by a seam down the middle where it was narrowed to fit an XJ. In fact all the hardware I have used to mount it is from a cover I couldn't get rid of from another project,

Somebody has been connecting dots. That's the thread where I ran across the top. Guy was super cool and traded me some beer for it!

Origins unknown. It appears to be a modified tonneau cover, evidenced by a seam down the middle where it was narrowed to fit an XJ. In fact all the hardware I have used to mount it is from a cover I couldn't get rid of from another project,

That makes more sense taking that drive to get it... good deal.

I’ve eyed a tonneau cover or two in the parts yards around here, never thought of narrowing it like that. Interested to see you finish it up and get some canvas on it. The profile looks similar to that of a eurovan.

28af9adea299e1f8ca9e4ab32400e84f.jpg

A buddy just sent me this. Very interesting.

wjeeper

I was hooked when I saw how low profile my top was! I am actually using tonneau cover hardware for the hinge and lift mechanism. I am up in the air on the canvas. I will be starting from scratch and I am researching fabric alternatives as we speak.

That suburban is nice! Somebody here needs to finish it, most of the hard work is already done.

Sunbrella (brand) is what many campers and boats use. Nice, higher end material.

“Ottertex” is a cheaper brand that is still supposedly waterproof (want to say Fabrics Now sells it, website or amazon). I bought a roll to upholster my bed cushions.

Vinyl PVC is what GFC campers use, it may hold creases more but can be “heat welded” to be more waterproof than a design with stitched seams. I can link the supplier I ordered from. This is what my soft-top is made of.

I’ve never looked for a supplier of the mesh windows... my top came with a fairly decent aftermarket canvas I’ll still be using.

Zippers, as used, are typically best to use a vislon style. YKK is the major distributor for these but I’ve only found custom sizes on the marine side (sailrite.com)

Follow (Instagram) --> @craftsmancollaborative
Subscribe (Youtube) --> @craftsmancollaborative

Last edited:

wjeeper

I am trying to steer away from more traditional canvas type fabrics. There are so many options out there that have been developed that breathe better, have more color options and are lighter. I calculated the surface area of the tent and some options put the tent at 30+ pounds.

Funny you mention Ottertex, I was checking it out this morning on the train to work. I like the "outdoorsy" look of the rip-stop nylon. They seem reasonably priced and have some fun colors. I am thinking the fabric doesn't necessary need to be perfectly water proof. The fabric is all on a vertical plane, leaving nowhere for water to pool. Especially since the fabric is shielded by the pop top.

I was leaning towards a PVC welded/ glued tent, something like a thinner raft material. But I couldn't figure a way to bond mesh and velcro to the PVC. It looks like I may need to learn how to sew after-all........................

I did find a supplier of some really nice no-see-um mesh on Amazon, it is kinda spendy. However it looks really high quality.

I just need to start ordering samples. I will have to physically handle each fabric before I can decide on it.

Shoot me a link to the supplier you used for your top, I wanna check em out!

I linked the suppliers for all the parts I used on the top here.

I’ve found you can heat-weld the pvc with a heat gun and a wheel (bearing/roller on a stud to press it). Have yet to try a home Iron.
You would likely have to stitch the Velcro/zipper to a piece of PVC then heat weld the two pieces together.

wjeeper

Once the tool coat is down you can start the layup on the mold right? Looks nice!

Fiberglass work is new to me.......

cb75db9284f16e96403219dcaa49b8ff.jpg
0799b512766961e2b580b10062491e61.jpg

Picked up a 2KW diesel heater for the Jeep.
Made a portable “suitcase” heater for the moment of tent camping.

Running on 18v ryobi batteries, with a 24v to 12v step down transformer (ryobi measured ~22v, 12.8v after step down)

The 6AH lithium lasted most the night on low.

Figure 6AH @ 18v = 108WH = 9AH @ 12v
Draw is just shy of 1A on low, near 8A on first start.

Follow (Instagram) --> @craftsmancollaborative
Subscribe (Youtube) --> @craftsmancollaborative

Last edited:

Simons

Adventurer
Cool tool battery set up! Do you notice any diesel exhaust stink running just outside the tent like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool tool battery set up! Do you notice any diesel exhaust stink running just outside the tent like that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I angled the setup so it would vent away into the wind. It burns smoke the first couple minutes, then no complaints. I had a carbon monoxide and smoke detector inside too. Overkill, maybe? Stupid way to die, I’ll pass.

All this gear is going in the Jeep anyhow, so I had it on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94