Cast iron question and Potjie vs Dutch oven

I have a couple questions regarding cast iron. We use a 6 qt Dutch oven, small pans, and griddle for family and two person cooking on the open fire. Almost all our cooking is campfires. We have an outing coming up with a group that we will be organizing the food and cooking. At least 6 others , probably 10-14. So looking At a bigger oven to handle main courses. 7-10 lbs meat and veggies.

1. recommendations on how big for that group. Will be doing two meals at least but cooking bread in the pan and potatoes directly on the fire.

2. Anyone use and comment on a potjie VS dutch oven. Same function, same price roughly.

3. Anyone try seasoning with this method. Thin coating Flaxseed oil 5-6 times at max oven temp.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/ho...extcode=MASCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We have a potjie and a bedourie oven (think camp oven but made of steel not cast).
The potjie is great for feeding a bunch of people but we have completely different cooking methods between the 2. The potjie is a layered cooking method and the more pointed shape of the shape and the length of cooking time defines where in the layers each food type goes.

Basically if we are baking, roasting or wet mess (stews, casseroles) we use the bedourie oven. If we have the time and want a very different meal we use the potjie.

Actually with all the fire bans over the last few years we leave the potjie at home as we can use the bedourie on the gas stove.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Oh one other thing. The potjie is a bugger to pack and those legs will eat their way through just about any bag.

trae

Adventurer
We have a potjie and a bedourie oven (think camp oven but made of steel not cast).
Actually with all the fire bans over the last few years we leave the potjie at home as we can use the bedourie on the gas stove.

I've seen this clip before, bedourie oven seems like a great option. Any idea if there's something similar in North America? Shipping from Australia doubles the cost.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would suggest you talk to someone like Expedition Outfitters or the like that import Australian trailers and see if they are interested in throwing a few into the container.

I have never seen anything like them in the USA but then again since I already have one I’m not looking.

trae

Adventurer
These just came out from Lodge and look pretty versatile.

Different product. Bedourie ovens are some sort of steel that’s 1/3 the weight of cast iron and doesn’t require seasoning. I love cast iron and use it at home, just exploring other alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texoma

I've seen this clip before, bedourie oven seems like a great option. Any idea if there's something similar in North America? Shipping from Australia doubles the cost.

Awhile back I tried finding a Bedourie oven in the US and had no luck. If you find a source let me know please.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

trae

Adventurer
If you don't mind $50 -$70 in shipping, you can buy them through eBay here: Ebay Link

Also I hear you can buy directly from Souther Metal Spinners, but the shipping is still $50-$80:

View attachment 567089

I brought one over from Sydney when I visited last year. Light weight and really nice. Unfortunately it turns out I didn't season it properly, so now it's rusting in spots. Any advice for remediation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles