OVERLAND Journal Payload podcast

Its a good listen but it's also a regurgitation of what most smart and experienced persons have said many times on this site. 95% of people don't need bumpers or winches or whatever to do anything fun that their stock vehicle would do straight from the dealership; but it's the image and bling factor for most.

Personally, had I not wrecked my LR3, I would not have put a TR front bumper on it and went with internal winch; eventually! I still don't have a winch and choose route selection and have self recovery skills for those times I would need a winch; bottom line I don't go where I need a winch so right now I don't need a winch. It was cheaper to get a TR bumper than all the BS parts and plastic on my LR3 back to factory and then add an internal mount. Half of America is not a threat to road kill so a bull bar is not applicable for most use and I'd take my chances the rest of the time. I surely have never put my front bumper as a slider to get over an obstacle; If wanted that I would have built a crawler.

Tires, sliders, and a full size spare and you can go happy camping just about anywhere in America. Oh, an extra gas if you drive an LR3.....lol

On that note, my rear carrier is completely kitted out for the next 30 days for more driving than I would normally do so I can shake out any mods I need to fix on it. Then, I take all that crap off and put it in the garage until trail time is needed; my gas mileage sucks and the personally it is just not needed for the majority of my use at the moment. I have like 15 Jeeps in my neighborhood that are kitted to the 9's 24/7 to include their RTT's and I see maybe 2 of them with the occasional trail dirt on them from time to time. Who wants to drive around with all that ******** for a DD; I just don't get it?

I overloaded my LR3 one time on the trail and let me tell you, I didn't think I was going to get it home in one piece and almost rolled it over; stupid on my part.

Like my ruck; I go with what I need and the bigger the ruck, the more ******** you stuff in it. Lighter, Faster, Stronger!

"Ounces Equal Pounds and Pounds Equal Pain"

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I think we regularly overbuild our vehicles and bumpers are an easy target because its one item that adds so much weight. Its often times an issue where we want to improve our vehicles through small changes (obviously everything is advertised and being better than stock or improving your vehicle) and we keep at it keep adding stuff and before you know it you hate driving it. I did it to my RX8 (not an overland vehicle, but the same idea) kept adding things that I thought would make it "better" before you know it I had something like 500 horsepower and I hated driving it. Same thing can easily happen to these overland rigs.

Well after Listening to the Payload OJ Podcast, anyone want to buy my bumpers???

Is this available on spotify?

Like my ruck; I go with what I need and the bigger the ruck, the more ******** you stuff in it. Lighter, Faster, Stronger!

"Ounces Equal Pounds and Pounds Equal Pain"

What would be the vehicle equivalent double socks?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Its a good listen but it's also a regurgitation of what most smart and experienced persons have said many times on this site. 95% of people don't need bumpers or winches or whatever to do anything fun that their stock vehicle would do straight from the dealership; but it's the image and bling factor for most.

Personally, had I not wrecked my LR3, I would not have put a TR front bumper on it and went with internal winch; eventually! I still don't have a winch and choose route selection and have self recovery skills for those times I would need a winch; bottom line I don't go where I need a winch so right now I don't need a winch. It was cheaper to get a TR bumper than all the BS parts and plastic on my LR3 back to factory and then add an internal mount. Half of America is not a threat to road kill so a bull bar is not applicable for most use and I'd take my chances the rest of the time. I surely have never put my front bumper as a slider to get over an obstacle; If wanted that I would have built a crawler.

Tires, sliders, and a full size spare and you can go happy camping just about anywhere in America. Oh, an extra gas if you drive an LR3.....lol

if I had not bought my truck kitted I would have only added the roof rack and larger tires. I would have eventually done sliders to but I would have done much lighter ones that the TR4x4 ones I have. They are over kill for what I do. These truck are really not crawlers.

I think we regularly overbuild our vehicles and bumpers are an easy target because its one item that adds so much weight. Its often times an issue where we want to improve our vehicles through small changes (obviously everything is advertised and being better than stock or improving your vehicle) and we keep at it keep adding stuff and before you know it you hate driving it. I did it to my RX8 (not an overland vehicle, but the same idea) kept adding things that I thought would make it "better" before you know it I had something like 500 horsepower and I hated driving it. Same thing can easily happen to these overland rigs.

Is this available on spotify?

To confirm, yes it is!

What would be the vehicle equivalent double socks?

Plastic bags on my feet inside double socks to keep them dry and warm? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Plastic bags on my feet inside double socks to keep them dry and warm? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I can just imagine some stupid training evolution where you have to get down to your skivvies and get dressed out as quickly as possible and trying to explain to some ornery 20 year E6 instructor why you have ziploc bags on your feet.

Dude, not to hijack this thread with old school military stories but I may or may not have been in some amphibious ground units and our students learned through the underground that plastic bags under your socks was a way to protect your feet; talk about inducing trench foot and kill their feet for life! hahaha The ******** we see!

Back to Land Rovers.....

krick3tt

Adventurer
Can't believe that just because someone tells you that their idea of what you should have or not is the best way to go. Plastic bumpers on a vehicle are not my idea of the best way to go, but that is just my idea. MY LR did come with lots of plastic, didn't like it so I went with metal. I am probably over the suggested weight of a vehicle but it still gets me where I want to go and back. The gas milage on an LR sucks anyway so a few more pounds aren't going to be that much of an issue.
Probably best if you stick with Jeeps, I hear they are lighter.

haha, not what I meant at all; what I meant was that build it to what your use is so if it works for you and your environment then tailor the build to that. My point is about consideration to what is "wanted" vs what is "needed" and that is it.

I'm most certainly over the LR weight but I'll know for sure when I hit the scale on daily weight and then again on my planned trail weight; for my own knowledge of course.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Can't believe that just because someone tells you that their idea of what you should have or not is the best way to go. Plastic bumpers on a vehicle are not my idea of the best way to go, but that is just my idea. MY LR did come with lots of plastic, didn't like it so I went with metal. I am probably over the suggested weight of a vehicle but it still gets me where I want to go and back. The gas milage on an LR sucks anyway so a few more pounds aren't going to be that much of an issue.
Probably best if you stick with Jeeps, I hear they are lighter.

I'm just spitballing here but wouldn't you prioritize weight savings even moreso whenever possible on these trucks with that in mind? I remember with my D2 it was a t h i c c girl by the time I had added everything on and that was when I realized I kind of hated it. With that in mind I tried to remedy all that on my future by prioritizing aluminum over steel when possible and figuring out what I really needed.

Edit: Didn't realize how heavy LR3/4 can be... they can weigh more than my truck. Thats hefty.

Last edited:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Can't believe that just because someone tells you that their idea of what you should have or not is the best way to go.

Not sure I fallow. What can't you believe? Lots of people tell me there opinion everyday. I hardly ever listen. You have to build the truck that is right for you. The constant that Scott and Matt keep saying is its better to spend you money on the Travel and not the truck... A stock XJ can get you around the world and can be fixed anywhere, drive down any street and park in any parking place. You can Drive the pan-american High way in a Toyota Corolla.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online