Take The Truck's 84 Xtracab Pickup Build

takethetruck

Low-lift OME Crossover Steering Upgrade/Install:

The factory push-pull steering on the solid-axle Toyota Pickups and 4runners has always been a weak link, after installing our OME suspension this weakness was magnified and we always wanted to pursue hi-steer but didn't want to install a taller lift that could impact drive-line angles. After a good deal of research we found a solution to make crossover steering work on our truck with our existing Old Man Emu 2-2.5" lift.

The key was a dual steering arm produced by Aqualu that enables the steering drag-link to be positioned above the springs while the tie-rod remains below, the downside is that this steering arm costs over $500USD new. Other manufacturers (All-Pro) who made similar steering arms, no longer produce them.

Now some daring individuals have engineered their own by welding two factory arms together! But my welding skills are amateur at best, and there was no way I'd trust my life to a welded DIY solution. So we wrote off this project as not feasible.

But one day, miraculously, we were able to find a pre-owned Aqualu steering arm for sale that had never been used and it was less-than-half the retail price!

The game was afoot!

ITEMS USED:

• Aqualu 4034-C Steering Arm
  • Marlin Crawler High-Steer HD Tie Rod + FJ80 tie rod ends
  • Marlin Crawler High-Steer HD Draglink + FJ80 tie rod ends
  • Marlin Crawler IFS Steering Box Mount
  • Currie Industries Steering Stabilizer Mount (Part Number: CE-9701SB)
  • Sky Offroad IFS Pitman Arm Adapter (enables you to use the factory IFS pitman arm if you’re able to depending on your steering box positioning)
  • IFS Steering box from a 86-89 pickup or 4runner
  • Pitman Arm - depending on the way you position your IFS Steering box on the frame you may need Sky Offroad's flat pitman arm or thier ¾” less-drop pitman (we did!), or an FJ80 Pitman Arm PN#4541160191 can also be a budget option for a less-drop pitman arm if you can find one online or at a junkyard

INSTALLATION:

First we removed the ProComp S-shaped drop draglink we'd installed when we did the OME suspension years ago, followed by the torsion bar, factory tie-rod, and passenger-side steering arm. We'd also previously removed the factory swaybar)

C1S-FlY1xr6Z2TFgs53PcziSpoN-jnH0qVoQg6IBoAyaHt72vh7aJtWAmYFOGv0ICwrvab_5aBu4KmsaruFNjsZlJaSjpl960d188dWjEacQm4FxJlWZeimaaBXYq-Uu1MZTEIfK
Poke_RjlsdN2IkcMrZmLLMhCvgkmOyakT50I_QTOQIhdadTm16BaqxNqKY7HUxe1Bed1YF0eXWgyQ-H_Hk-GgtZu2e0tkl5g8kuY2nE6QxTL-iishy1-FUAhDj5H49X9v9Jgkdys
z0q5OdAlsCyAXhhcFgx_cK8-PhdMbiGLpjCnlkgUFem1QOLL3wHHCDgEr2MCfZG3RScg6e8afYwkVkJM81_zktqmNrsAGt2C5kkMM34NUkc3nBT8nrkNjs2-FJ_lCeWPXgnO_qtE
5wab0PqB9nLQryosuj1yqOlTLhYpfjpIDYBYrGyS_JpAsTBsKAcsOqIc0kmF-FkBxKlMuRI_8awFXRHcWNeFJ2k5_zMtOTdD6QRAajUrmTpeCyGg0zt-Z1pTZniweFkc32Ps2Y_P
QH9djm7eDeZKEVDdiX_X79wdmwACxg6mPa1pZ-2fm8ALvTx68aLmZ1wJjy8ICok1cvpw__dMeQ77gr3o9i4d8KTxtlFAhB7QMmwUNfQjL7kZbx7gU2eo2i3ibWPyrnSucY4moo4l

Then the factory push-pull steering box was removed.

XvbpEd9K0k16ELk1usiP2HRcX5z6XNVNOl5IJG78isDPeEbZZxjzSFAP4Qun-nzliU2ES3CQO6SAsmLKXqvoTtKlIaC6Ku-xQbira3RqVd_V-pVqE45cgdI49V-0O0IBYVzFGF8O

Next the upper torsion bar mount had to be torched off the frame (a plasma cutter would have been cleaner, others have even used a saw-zaw), and ground smooth. This mount would otherwise interfere with the new crossover steering draglink.

UwvjkBnLV9XmbHV1Fehsbgo51VleBzW58qIXpErj7l9m8omEAVm8oY7eD6RnZqvM1GtMkleKsBTQKlStcCzDcwkxKLPxwvpALEIy8sVfdnDGkXTiVMZ1kGAw1j70b7k8ejpT_DH5

Then the Aqualu Steering Arm was installed in the top of the passenger-side knuckle and the new tie rod and drag link were installed so that the IFS Steering Box mounting location could be mocked up.

v7PZL1-v9a7xQKvTXqv9AULom-DNTRLV7q6bjeNLpaY4bR8VFM76dubFP4WLpjC7w_7I6GBbvQXtfPc8ebfVcmFuEbu2d80CN0NgaycUiVpixnzRQnr6X-KnxlkdsI4Jj1DQYZmV

Then we started mocking up the IFS Steering box location. NOTE - you typically want this mounted as far forward and as high as possible while still allowing enough clearance for the pitman arm. Our original intention was to be able to use the factory pitman arm (for easier/cheaper parts availability) but we were restricted by both the lower ARB Bumper mount and the sheet metal behind the factory steering box and this ended up not working out as you'll see a little later.

oVLBV7w_HBzWdiq24Bi9AW2SQLLKgT9IKC4YXduj4gYyhV1carN0Ui9AW8b7yq6_kdchl57lL-UhfviIYS2k5lVWr9FWE81rubLPApubXIz_JrmuyneIrSOPrpEqtDKZPHMqolhR

Here we're using the backing plate from the IFS Steering Box mounting kit to stencil the ¾” holes that would need to be drilled in the frame:

ZKmoFlZz4zeHbdAjqMpk5YRQfqKhnD-VeMoXgITWA8ufN-41daC3gV8eJmG-6DXR3MCYr00HEO5pGadtAXAjEADRVX97DJXTfSQOBqTmhZ5YGi7d9Q3WVUrHoh_KGdqKFa8XnBKE

Once the holes were drilled, we test-fit the IFS steering box and draglink to double check alignment and clearances before welding the mounting kit in place.

cW6xsIkbNUgpnqW0kzl7ioI5DjxdU5zlV6MfuGAJGvO8u4-qu95r9J4f_B3aZFVKbk6Lx-SRS7c6AnuNND9P3yOqRfbs75OiD6JeOwIaKHG0xt3sIt6G25gHZV4vFbYkt7vkAw0f
3_f5VSJxpxuRdUr5by1FHbsmKVc5NEI3sxIqHy8bPkBPOjwExIrlpKVSlzf_C0PMBk-EsIaClLmQI9gvo44j5xeHlIUXJfs-UBAcW8RPehz9W1pvRK4M748bBldf5ggyZB2ye4tp

Then we removed everything, cleaned up the frame, and welded the IFS mounting kit in

cL-7aGsviDBfiOMrBCZRQfE-RKfwJymJNAOWP_xbfJNaA7D6-99GNZ9MxKK3NgSVrzQlCbbgsBmWreBGs4V6-pTeyhiNsG-3abkvj1PvJX0nSX9Yj3dJt93xVIWFAVutuMjVDaqt
oYBEG4hFt7IJDdo4MEuAgPH4h8yjUymVpsPBWAZbwiXQYOzpo12LcFURxmS1wAXzZGHUCLMQglKXS40Pm-ittpPZs8d3rNAmyKnJhplIsTOn2GpIBgyuEaYQqJa5yHFzS8WzZ4CW

Then we painted everything, bolted the IFS steering box to the frame, and bolted up the factory steering shaft to the steering box (depending on the positioning of the gear box, you may have to drill the 2 plastic shear pins in steering shaft to adjust the length of the steering shaft - ours was exactly the right length and didn’t require this step). Then installed the power steering lines, and topped off the PS fluid, installed the Currie Steering Stabilizer mount on the new tie-rod and we were good to go...or so we thought.

3mQe9hLqCGRtcZ70XmNiLVZjB5DlwYFD9ozphSkdopWdpYMo1sMwbRyRxv2lFH1Q_ZeMpa8OJWAOr1QBqHK_j4VduzNmoUxFZlezxVIdaQYtk6dYpzrM-kiAgtoyQ6ub_Oi6CsPx
xUyAl4xCgFGbHKB4oWPgi22WEdk9JTpxWoGFpF0p9l9gKMRjxhE3wSod5W6LVqjRxd57C5lIqPEF86qIDrOxJWIITeXUhTBeDqDaxm0ox9jX0mv2UwFrumENx0vqO_5ihk_UWhxD

After a trail-test we found that the castle nut on the factory pitman arm made contact with the driver’s side leaf spring on full stuff. So we ended up installing the Sky Offroad ¾” less drop pitman arm and now there’s plenty of clearance even at full stuff.

yz73XrbpS5jcpTowj4AMk8PH_0hnZj-Q_qqE3XzJLb0aeXFkCedY0Y-Fiy9E6ps4QsKny_Aa5T94aeTcE1rtdYB_ETZWB4KB0_h7HjnsmL9iqUkOt7d0Bs-4eLwhw3T2jPppUQAm

Overall this was an excellent upgrade, and one I'd highly recommend! It’s been amazing the difference it has made in the ride and suspension - and made it apparent that the factory torsion bar and draglink were really limiting the travel and effectiveness of the OME suspension both on and off-road before.

Last edited:

VanWaLife

Thanks for the write up! I've got the OME 2+" lift, but didn't know low lift crossover steering was an option. I'm currently waiting for some parts to correct torsion rod angle, new torsion rod bushings, and a sway bar quick disconnect. I'll have to make a crossover setup part of my long term plans, definitely more work than I've got time for right now.

Did ditching the torsion rod do anything for in-cab noise? I've read it transmits a lot of vibration. Have you ever measured decibel level in the cab?

takethetruck

Thanks for the write up! I've got the OME 2+" lift, but didn't know low lift crossover steering was an option. I'm currently waiting for some parts to correct torsion rod angle, new torsion rod bushings, and a sway bar quick disconnect. I'll have to make a crossover setup part of my long term plans, definitely more work than I've got time for right now.

Did ditching the torsion rod do anything for in-cab noise? I've read it transmits a lot of vibration. Have you ever measured decibel level in the cab?

Didn't really notice any decrease in noise levels, but honestly hadn't paid close enough attention (or measured dBs) beforehand to be able to notice.?

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Why is an IFS steering box used/needed for this cross over steering upgrade?

OOPS! EDITED.

Just thought about it and answered my own question.

Stock solid axle steering box arm moves front to back and IFS steering box arm moves side to side which is needed with cross over steering.

You can return to your regular channel!

Last edited:

APOS

Awesome build. My girlfriend's aunt just put a GFC on her Tacoma. She loves it. Plus it looks great. Crazy how long their backorder is (about year now)!

takethetruck

Awesome build. My girlfriend's aunt just put a GFC on her Tacoma. She loves it. Plus it looks great. Crazy how long their backorder is (about year now)!

Thanks! It's always good to hear positive reports on the GFC. The wait is long, but they are doing a really good job of constantly making improvements in their manufacturing process and shortening lead-times for such a young company - they moved our production date up by a whopping 8 months recently! Still have to keep reminding ourselves "good things come to those that wait."

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
nice to see someone using the Aqualu steering arm again. I think Jack Alford was the first person to use one on a mini truck in ~97-98. I ran one for a couple of years as well. Great solution for low-lift vehicles.

takethetruck

nice to see someone using the Aqualu steering arm again. I think Jack Alford was the first person to use one on a mini truck in ~97-98. I ran one for a couple of years as well. Great solution for low-lift vehicles.

Yeah, it was really the only solution still out there without increasing lift. Has worked flawlessly so far, dispite our OME front springs showing some sag after 70k miles.

Reactions: bkg

takethetruck

For our trip in Idaho (and future trips) we took the plunge and added a cell booster to the truck to improve the process of working remotely - we've worked remotely off & on since 2011 and our current setup seems to be the first combination that actually works! There were several instances in very remote locations where we went from weak/nearly non-existent service to usable-enough-to-get-work-done service, and numerous other instances where it made a decent connection strong enough to even binge a little Netflix. Overall really happy with the investment so far.

take-the-truck-weboost-antenna-mount-gfc.jpgcell-phone-signal-booster-kit.jpg

Attachments

• camping-wifi-portable-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit.jpg
    camping-wifi-portable-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 15

beef tits

... others have even used a saw-zaw...

*headsmack*

Sorry but I have to...

It's "Sawzall" which is a proprietary and likely trademarked name by the company Milwaukee for their line of reciprocating saws. More fun facts; there is nothing special about a "Sawzall" vs any other reciprocating saw.

Your build looks great, I love 1st gens :)

Just sold this beauty a few months ago;

925C5143-3F8D-4B92-BF3B-0AC414FFE667_1_201_a.jpeg

lndhark

Adventurer

Now there's name from the past!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles