2020 Ford Transit AWD

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Your assuming your fleet buddy has newer machines post breather issue discoveries and that the full synthetic being used is stable quality synthetic oil lots of garbage synthetic oils out there. Not to mention I highly doubt any fleet vehicle sees correct auto maker breakin use which can be a huge factor in modern ring seating and oil control results.
I’m just asking y’all to show your work

I’m always down to be wrong! But Ive cited my source, you can google them and even visit their shop in person.

Their fleet is 2010-2014 with over 150k each

I wonder if that’s a connection? Maybe the factory pcv system can handle a newer engine, but once they start getting older and have more blow by, that factory system can’t keep up anymore?
I have a 2019 3.5 not at the least bit concerned and thats $83,000 check cut from my personal checking account. A neighbor around the corner with a 2014 3.5 and a BMW that got a walnut blasting job yeah it’s something he’s keeping an eye on and yes he put a catch can in. So far 60,000 miles in his use pattern he’s not seeing much indication of a risk with his older 3.5. But he’s not towing and hauling heavy construction gear ie running higher rpms etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I’m just asking y’all to show your work

I’m always down to be wrong! But Ive cited my source, you can google them and even visit their shop in person.

Their fleet is 2010-2014 with over 150k each

I wonder if that’s a connection? Maybe the factory pcv system can handle a newer engine, but once they start getting older and have more blow by, that factory system can’t keep up anymore?
Blow by especially with turbo engines is highly dependent on use/operating conditions. I have no doubt most private owners operate their vehicles differently than work horse fleet trucks.

I also think there is a service/durability reason Ford packaged the nonturbo 3.3v6 as a police/service vehicle option. Which apparently was a huge deal for muni fleet operators given many Municipalities are swapping out 3.5 rigs with the new 3.3 tho obviously that new machine has numerous design fixes to address other problems but that 3.3 was a big deal from a simpler lower maintenance cost factor

plumber mike

Adventurer
You guys are all talking about these vans like they exist. I have yet to see one, let alone test drive. I thought I’d read they were coming out fall of last year. Nothing around these parts at all.
The sprinter won my comparative testing by default. Freightliner technically since the closest MB dealer is 400 miles away. The Ford dealer is walking distance.

And then the discussion of which little motor is the least flawed, after I’m thinking they are both too small and complicated, has got me ready to run to Ujoint with a clean econoline.

plumber mike

Adventurer
The Econoline got a severe beating with the ugly stick somewhere around 2011. It had to match the ugly of the 2008+ super duty for cohesion.
I’d rather have the Transit that looks like a Korean knockoff of a Sprinter.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You guys are all talking about these vans like they exist. I have yet to see one, let alone test drive. I thought I’d read they were coming out fall of last year. Nothing around these parts at all.
The sprinter won my comparative testing by default. Freightliner technically since the closest MB dealer is 400 miles away. The Ford dealer is walking distance.

And then the discussion of which little motor is the least flawed, after I’m thinking they are both too small and complicated, has got me ready to run to Ujoint with a clean econoline.

It sounds like you're in a part of the USA where there just aren't many of these yet...but they still exist. Just like the phenomenon I'm told by a specific manufacturer that there are very very very few ~2018 Transit 130WB MR cargo's in the NE USA/SE Canada, yet there are many here on the west coast...doesn't mean the west coast ones don't exist.

I'm not sure where you misread that both Transit gas engines are too small/complicated...3.5L Ecoboost's 400ft-lbs of torque isn't "small" IMHO. Yes, these engines are direct injected whereas the E-Series weren't, but if you practice meticulous preventative maintenance (full synthetic oil changes every 5k, blow carbon out with the "go" pedal, etc), any DI issues will be minimized. In regards to a 4th gen E-Series by comparison, you're talking about a van that was engineered back in 1992 (28 years ago!). How much safety/technology has drastically improved in ~3 decades? A ton. Yes, technology isn't perfect, but drive a newer Transit(even RWD) back to back with even a very solid E-Series; it's apples and pears for sure...especially if you're talking about an antiquated leaf-sprung E 4x4 conversion.

The Econoline got a severe beating with the ugly stick somewhere around 2011. It had to match the ugly of the 2008+ super duty for cohesion.
I’d rather have the Transit that looks like a Korean knockoff of a Sprinter.
4th gen Econoline aesthetics were the same thru 2007. In 2008 they updated to the new headlights/grille(note; there were both the "basic" headlights with amber turn signals above the "rectangular sealed beam headlights" or the "aero" headlights which were one complete acrylic(?) headlight assy w/ turn signal bulb inside), but the 2008 interior was the same as 2007(curved dash lines around stereo area, half moon HVAC vents). In 2009 they updated the interior(now rectangular dash lines around stereo area, full round HVAC vents) so now both the front end and interior were updated to coincide with the new F-SuperDuty interior style. Interesting to hear you prefer the front end looks of the Transit vs the 2008+ E-Series. Took me awhile to accept the Transit's "guppiness" but especially with the right mods they look cool IMHO. I've eventually come around to understand how far superior a van the Transit is compared to the outdated E-Series in soooo many ways. My $0.03.

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
It sounds like you're in a part of the USA where there just aren't many of these yet...but they still exist. Just like the phenomenon I'm told by a specific manufacturer that there are very very very few ~2018 Transit 130WB MR cargo's in the NE USA/SE Canada, yet there are many here on the west coast...doesn't mean the west coast ones don't exist.

I'm not sure where you misread that both Transit gas engines are too small/complicated...3.5L Ecoboost's 400ft-lbs of torque isn't "small" IMHO. Yes, these engines are direct injected whereas the E-Series weren't, but if you practice meticulous preventative maintenance (full synthetic oil changes every 5k, blow carbon out with the "go" pedal, etc), any DI issues will be minimized. In regards to a 4th gen E-Series by comparison, you're talking about a van that was engineered back in 1992 (28 years ago!). How much safety/technology has drastically improved in ~3 decades? A ton. Yes, technology isn't perfect, but drive a newer Transit(even RWD) back to back with even a very solid E-Series; it's apples and pears for sure...especially if you're talking about an antiquated leaf-sprung E 4x4 conversion.

4th gen Econoline aesthetics were the same thru 2007. In 2008 they updated to the new headlights/grille(note; there were both the "basic" headlights with amber turn signals above the "rectangular sealed beam headlights" or the "aero" headlights which were one complete acrylic(?) headlight assy w/ turn signal bulb inside), but the 2008 interior was the same as 2007(curved dash lines around stereo area, half moon HVAC vents). In 2009 they updated the interior(now rectangular dash lines around stereo area, full round HVAC vents) so now both the front end and interior were updated to coincide with the new F-SuperDuty interior style. Interesting to hear you prefer the front end looks of the Transit vs the 2008+ E-Series. Took me awhile to accept the Transit's "guppiness" but especially with the right mods they look cool IMHO. I've eventually come around to understand how far superior a van the Transit is compared to the outdated E-Series in soooo many ways. My $0.03.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I live in snow country and have waited for a factory AWD full sized van since the express went away. I let that pass by in hopes of a 2500 or 3500 series becoming available. I missed the unicorn. I wrongly assumed perhaps that the Transit would be very popular and I’d be seeing a bunch when they came out. For comparison, I am seeing a lot of Jeep Gladiators around.
I valued the econoline, not for the creature comforts or safety features, but for its reliability and simplicity. And it’s ability to move weight around. The only thing it lacked IMO was 4wd or AWD. So now the Transit was supposed to be out months ago with AWD and I haven’t seen one. I do have contempt prior to driving either V6. The econoline had motor choices that matched heavy duty trucks....yet no 6.2V8, new 7.3V8or 6.7 Diesel as options on the Transit. We have been using 25/3500 trucks with toppers waiting for the AWD van. I am slightly spoiled to the power and efficiency. Enough to justify the cost. I do have my doubts. I’d love nothing more than to be absolutely wrong. I’d love to know the V6’s had the power and reliability to match what the econoline accomplished day in and day out for years and years.
Yet no dealers around me have one to drive. One dealer said they had a low roof passenger model coming and the cost was going to be around 58k.
Impatiently waiting to try a mid roof crew model and wishing upon hope that I’ll stay under 50k should I like it. Appliance white please.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

Go back a few pages, I posted pictures of one I saw at the dealership near Quebec City.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I live in snow country and have waited for a factory AWD full sized van since the express went away. I let that pass by in hopes of a 2500 or 3500 series becoming available. I missed the unicorn. I wrongly assumed perhaps that the Transit would be very popular and I’d be seeing a bunch when they came out. For comparison, I am seeing a lot of Jeep Gladiators around.
I valued the econoline, not for the creature comforts or safety features, but for its reliability and simplicity. And it’s ability to move weight around. The only thing it lacked IMO was 4wd or AWD. So now the Transit was supposed to be out months ago with AWD and I haven’t seen one. I do have contempt prior to driving either V6. The econoline had motor choices that matched heavy duty trucks....yet no 6.2V8, new 7.3V8or 6.7 Diesel as options on the Transit. We have been using 25/3500 trucks with toppers waiting for the AWD van. I am slightly spoiled to the power and efficiency. Enough to justify the cost. I do have my doubts. I’d love nothing more than to be absolutely wrong. I’d love to know the V6’s had the power and reliability to match what the econoline accomplished day in and day out for years and years.
Yet no dealers around me have one to drive. One dealer said they had a low roof passenger model coming and the cost was going to be around 58k.
Impatiently waiting to try a mid roof crew model and wishing upon hope that I’ll stay under 50k should I like it. Appliance white please.

YW.
I don't think a Transit will ever get a "big boy" HD engine like a big displacement diesel. So much more efficient with the 3.5L EcoBoost. <racecar>

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
granded I have never driven a new sprinter, hence I can’t compare our 2019 transit with anything else than a 2001 sprinter 4x4. Although the sprinter was very capable off road and fuel efficient, the comfort was brutal. The transit with its gas engine runs smooth, is very comfortable and hopefully can be serviced all over North America much easier than the sprinter. but there is one thing that bugs me with the transit: the turning radius. It’s a lot worse than the sprinter. Oh one more thing: the gear selector sucks. Every time I shift into drive I need to watch my dash to actually get it and not select manual. They could have made the manual setting as a side shift like our Subaru does. In any case, I think the transit is going to be great.

yoggie

I suspect that minus a few delears, AWD will be a special order option that dealers will not carry on the lots. This is typical for an expensive option that most buyers will not want. For example, the Sprinter 4x4 is a special order with a wait list several months long, you wont find one on a dealer's lot either. Yes, there are 2-3 dealers that order 4x4 Sprinters, but from what I have heard, they sell within a few days of hitting the lot, so its not like you can just show up and test drive a few options to see what one you like.

Another example would be a manual transmission. If it is not a jeep or a sports car, you probably wont find the manual version of a typical car anywhere on dealer's lots in the states, even if it is tecnically offered by the manufacturer.

The reality is, if you want to drive an AWD Transit, you will probably have to find someone locally that has one and take them out for lunch.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My local dealer had one in stock, they didn't even know what they had. I found it listed on AutoTrader and went the next day. They hadn't ordered it but I can't say that I know much about how dealers get what cars w/o ordering them.

simple

Adventurer
I suspect that minus a few delears, AWD will be a special order option that dealers will not carry on the lots. This is typical for an expensive option that most buyers will not want. For example, the Sprinter 4x4 is a special order with a wait list several months long, you wont find one on a dealer's lot either. Yes, there are 2-3 dealers that order 4x4 Sprinters, but from what I have heard, they sell within a few days of hitting the lot, so its not like you can just show up and test drive a few options to see what one you like.

Another example would be a manual transmission. If it is not a jeep or a sports car, you probably wont find the manual version of a typical car anywhere on dealer's lots in the states, even if it is tecnically offered by the manufacturer.

The reality is, if you want to drive an AWD Transit, you will probably have to find someone locally that has one and take them out for lunch.

If I was a dealer, knowing that the AWD's will go quick I'd order a bunch. Seems like easy money but I don't know the ins and outs of the business either.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Considering the AWD model hasn't been out for more than a few months, I don't think its fair to say they are rare. Typically it takes about 4-5 months for these options to work their way through the dealer stock. Especially when its a brand new option. Plenty of northern dealers will choose to option some deliveries with AWD as time goes on, assuming they sell. .

plumber mike

Adventurer
YW.
I don't think a Transit will ever get a "big boy" HD engine like a big displacement diesel. So much more efficient with the 3.5L EcoBoost. <racecar>
I don’t see it happening either. GM now offers a 4 cylinder diesel where they used to have 8 in the express. The Chevy dealers front line is filled with those new Silverado HD's, but not an express in sight.
I was hoping the Vanlife folks rise in popularity would bring about some options and some inventory. And I shouldn't complain. There are several 4wd sprinters available in our little big city. The 60-80k price on those is helping extend my patience with Ford greatly :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94