Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

shade

1" will allow a larger vehicle to pull you out but 20 will only be 5-6' of strech at full load less with the Tacoma.
I sized up a bit for that reason. I'd rather have a little hardier rope than risk running it to failure.
If I can't get it done with that, I should probably dig some more.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I sized up a bit for that reason. I'd rather have a little hardier rope than risk running it to failure.
If I can't get it done with that, I should probably dig some more.
Sized up from what, 7/8"? You might be able to in theory break 3/4" double braid with a Tacoma but even with a rope that size it's more likely the recovery point will be the weak point.

roving1

Has anyone witnessed a kinetic rope failure on anything 3/4" and larger?
I have seen a lot of tow straps and Kinetic strap fail but not a Kinetic rope.

I was just thinking this to myself the other day. I watch a lot of off road and recovery content. I have never searched for it but I have never seen it happen vs kinetic straps I have seen many failures.

Could just be a function of the ropes are more expensive and more likely to be looked after vs people going nuts with cheaper straps. I don't know.

shade

Sized up from what, 7/8"? You might be able to in theory break 3/4" double braid with a Tacoma but even with a rope that size it's more likely the recovery point will be the weak point.
Yes, upsized from 7/8". One of the reasons I bought 1" is for use with larger-than-Tacoma vehicles.

Based on ASR's specs, 7/8" would be the ideal size for a Tacoma; 3/4" is too light. The difference in the rating between 7/8" and 1" is relatively small.

From ASR:

3/4" KINETIC RECOVERY ROPE SPECIFICATIONS:
  • For use light 4x4's up to about 4,000 lbs
  • Min. Breaking Load 19,000lbs
7/8" KINETIC RECOVERY ROPE SPECIFICATIONS:
  • For use on vehicles up to 9,500 lbs.
  • Minimum Tensile Strength (breaking strength) of 28,600 lbs.
1" KINETIC RECOVERY ROPE SPECIFICATIONS:
  • For use on full size vehicles up to 11,000 lbs.
  • Minimum Tensile Strength (breaking strength) is 33,500 lbs.

DaveInDenver

Has anyone witnessed a kinetic rope failure on anything 3/4" and larger?
I have seen a lot of tow straps and Kinetic strap fail but not a Kinetic rope.
Yes, upsized from 7/8". One of the reasons I bought 1" is for use with larger-than-Tacoma vehicles.
It's pretty much not going to be possible to break a nylon rope used this way if it's at all reasonably sized. When you increase time the peak force reduces. Take these two example impulses. The momentum is the same, which in our case is the result of the mass and velocity of the truck doing the pulling. The area under each impulse (e.g. the momentum) is the same.

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 21-1.12.09.png

A polypropylene strap has extremely little stretch so time is compressed to the left and thus peak force is high. Regardless if you use a 7/8" or 1" the amount of momentum you impart with your Tacoma is the same. The amount of stretch determines the time, so the 1" is a bit more harsh than the 7/8" is all.

shade

It's pretty much not going to be possible to break a nylon rope used this way if it's at all reasonably sized. When you increase time the peak force reduces. Take these two example impulses. The momentum is the same, which in our case is the result of the mass and velocity of the truck doing the pulling. The area under each impulse (e.g. the momentum) is the same.

View attachment 565979

A polypropylene strap has extremely little stretch so time is compressed to the left and thus peak force is high.

Regardless if you use a 7/8" or 1" the amount of momentum you impart with your Tacoma is the same. The amount of stretch determines the time, so the 1" is a bit more harsh than the 7/8" is all.
Makes sense. Based on the time I used a 1" KRR to yank a much heavier truck out of some mud, there wasn't any harshness. I was less concerned with the rope failing by breaking than wearing it out, but given the limited use it sees, I was overthinking it by an eighth of an inch. :)

DaveInDenver

Makes sense. Based on the time I used a 1" KRR to yank a much heavier truck out of some mud, there wasn't any harshness. I was less concerned with the rope failing by breaking than wearing it out, but given the limited use it sees, I was overthinking it by an eighth of an inch. :)
The difference between 7/8" and 1" is pretty marginal really. I should add that you don't want to flatten the impulse too much because the slight jerk is what makes a dynamic recovery work.

dreadlocks

sweet, thanks.. I think I'll pick up a 30ft 3/4in kinetic rope for snow recovery, snatch straps feelin like tow straps with as little help yeh need to provide and I want maximum elongation because recovery vehicle is likely to also be on a rather slick surface also.. was just worried about breaking it since I'm at the upper limit of most that size, but I still have the snatch strap for yanking out bigger vehicles or if I get really deeply stuck.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
This past weekend I used a 1"x ~20' Kinetic on a 10K recovery on the beach and although it was not super stuck there was not a lot of stretch. Using my 7/8" x30' on a very stuck 7K vehicle on the beach used every bit of stretch requiring a couple of high spirited attempts with a heavy truck. Looking back we should of used the 7/8" x30' for the 10K vehicle for a softer recovery.

shade

This past weekend I used a 1"x ~20' Kinetic on a 10K recovery on the beach and although it was not super stuck there was not a lot of stretch. Using my 7/8" x30' on a very stuck 7K vehicle on the beach used every bit of stretch requiring a couple of high spirited attempts with a heavy truck. Looking back we should of used the 7/8" x30' for the 10K vehicle for a softer recovery.
I don't have much experience with a KRR, so it's good to see comparisons like this.

Alloy

View attachment 565979

A polypropylene strap has extremely little stretch so time is compressed to the left and thus peak force is high. Regardless if you use a 7/8" or 1" the amount of momentum you impart with your Tacoma is the same. The amount of stretch determines the time, so the 1" is a bit more harsh than the 7/8" is all.

If the time is limited due to a short rope then the then the peak force cannot be reached. Yes/Maybe :)?

shade

If the time is limited due to a short rope then the then the peak force cannot be reached. Yes/Maybe :)?
You'd just have to put more force in over a shorter time, leading to the possibility of unnecessary harshness compared to a lighter KRR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne