Ram 4500 and total composites camper box...a slow build.

wayfaringman13

I feel like the truck is far enough along now to share updates and build pics. Got the camper box second hand from a guy who had it on a Fuso 4x4. Then I had to source a chassis long enough to install it and after a few months of horrific used commercial vehicle searching, found a new 2018 Ram 4500 108" CA 4x4. AT Overland signed up to do the flatbed and camper mount. Drove the truck to Arizona and decided on a Kelderman rear suspension because if you've ever driven a 4500/5500 empty, you'll know why. I chose Kelderman because most of what we'll use this rig for is 90% highway and 10% crappy roads, gravel, sand, and off pavement stuff. No rock crawling or mud boggin for this guy. After the weight of the flatbed and camper was added, we probably could have left the stock suspension but I love how smooth this beast rides now.

We'll keep the loft bed in the camper but will most likely redesign the kitchen and dinette areas...probably build a mud/snow room with storage for skis, fishing rods, and other sports gear. This entire project has morphed into a cold-weather camper so we'll use it to venture back up north when the time comes. We FINALLY have a mattress so dry, initial camping trips are in our NEAR future so we can determine where and how we want the remaining pieces. After living in northern New Mexico for 3 months, I have concluded that this camper box was a great investment....I hate the WIND and this mammoth will keep us out of it after our outdoor activities.

I have spent 2+ years on this forum and have gleaned a metric ******** ton of info from ALL of you, so I want to post our build and share pics and travel updates. We lived in Alaska for 2 years but being in the lower 48 makes building a rig logistically easier and cheaper....sorta. Say hello to "Melbatross." She's big and not the most attractive but she's got good bones (stole that quote from Mello Mike).

Next on the list is a crew ladder (have it built or purchase an off the shelf version) and getting rid of the chrome wheels and grille. Yes, the tire saga continues....

Attachments

• Hooked up.jpg
    Hooked up.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 182
  • air susp.jpg
    air susp.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 183
  • neighbors.jpg
    neighbors.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Leaving Las Vegas.jpg
    Leaving Las Vegas.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pulling in.jpg
    pulling in.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 216
  • wide open spaces.jpg
    wide open spaces.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 208

wayfaringman13

Loft bed with European slats (full size mattress). Time will tell if we stick with the east/west bed position. Tons of storage built by previous owner.

Attachments

• interior mattress.jpg
    interior mattress.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Under bed.jpg
    Under bed.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 116

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Following as well. Thought the cabin shape was unique/cool when it was for sale from Mr. Fuso. What's the height from ground to tippy top of rear edge of the TC cabin?

wayfaringman13

Following as well. Thought the cabin shape was unique/cool when it was for sale from Mr. Fuso. What's the height from ground to tippy top of rear edge of the TC cabin?
Thanks! I thought so too...a little overkill for us but we wanted to give it a whirl and get traveling in something. (I spent over a year looking at second-hand stuff here on the forum.) With the air bags fully inflated at ride height, she is about 12' 2" from ground to tippy top. I'm planning a crew ladder now which needs to be about 42" to the top step (bottom of crew door is about 48" from ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles