Warranty vs Lift

phsycle

Adventurer
Asked the question.... here is the answer

" I notice you inquired about the lift kit and wheels and tires on our 2018 Crosstrek.
It doesn't void any warranties as long as we install the parts here at the dealership. "

Sounds like they had a change of heart.

MOguy

Explorer
Agreed, one would think a lift would only affect the driveline not the alternator but after hearing Ram horror stories with chipped diesels where the entire vehicle warranty is voided since the chip can influence every electronic component.... I'd not hold my breath.

But no, not an incompetent dealer, he showed us the notice all dealers got. it did not qualify driveline components, it did not specify lifts either, it said "any part not supplied thru the dealer network" would void the warranty. Makes one wonder about a new battery. The statement was incredibly vague.

But i agree with sledhooligan, there are protections out there for us consumers. Question is are you up for the fight? I'm just going to wait till the warranty is up.

Different dealers deal with it different. When I first got my Jeep there were two Jeep dealerships in my area. One was notorious for wanting to void warranties on modified Jeeps, the other welcomed us with open arms. They would even wash ( and do a very good shop) and with out hesitation offer you a loaner.

If the Dealership can justify the warranty work they get paid. Not sure why anyone in business would turn away work.

billiebob

Here is the answer from Subaru

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your email.

To clarify your request, if the request is to have the vehicle raised in height, then yes, this will unfortunately count as a modification on the vehicle that can void the warranty on your vehicle.

I believe if you read every warranty out there they all refer to modifying the vehicle will void the warranty. And every year the Federal Laws related to emissions get tighter too. No longer is it just the emissions controls on the engine, they are starting to look at vehicle aerodynamics too and lifting a vehicle definitely affects those which in turn increase the load on the engine and.... therefore the emissions. Every year it will get tougher and tougher to modify a vehicle.

One of the reasons it is tough to register a military vehicle is due to the safety and emissions exemptions they are built under.

Last edited:

billiebob

Sounds like they had a change of heart.
Sorry, no.

This was the answer from Wilsonville Subaru in Oregon, not our dealer.

" I notice you inquired about the lift kit and wheels and tires on our 2018 Crosstrek.
It doesn't void any warranties as long as we install the parts here at the dealership. "

Subaru Canadas reply is above.

jbaucom

Understanding the OP is Canadian and Magnuson-Moss therefore doesn't apply, but the significance of Magnusson-Moss to the aftermarket industry is largely misinterpreted. Magnuson-Moss does not protect altering the fundamentals of a vehicle (ride height, suspension & steering geometry, electronic programming, etc) without potentially sacrificing warranty coverage. Instead Magnuson-Moss protects the right to buy aftermarket replacement parts. The manufacturer cannot require the purchaser to buy parts and service only through from them to maintain warranty - your warranty can't be voided because you used a Wix filter or Duralast battery instead of buying Motorcraft (ACDelco, Subaru, etc.). Dealers & manufacturers do not routinely void the entire bumper-to-bumper coverage for a major modification (such as a lift), but the mod can affect coverage on more components than expected. Some dealers are more lenient than others, and some denials can be reversed through the courts. The manufacturer sets the warranty terms, and their dealer is generally the enforcement agency.

Finding and establishing a relationship with a mod-friendly dealer *BEFORE* modifying your new/warrantied vehicle can make all the difference in the service and treatment you'll receive, should an issue arise during the warranty period.

shade

I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to figure out that the OP is in Canada, so quoting a US law is pretty much irrelevant.

You have to keep an eye on them. Always.

To clarify your request, if the request is to have the vehicle raised in height, then yes, this will unfortunately count as a modification on the vehicle that can void the warranty on your vehicle.

Most important word emphasized. Taken to an extreme, any modification can probably void a warranty in some way. Install an aftermarket part that's supposed to perform exactly like an OEM part. If that aftermarket part fails and damages other parts, that damage would likely not be covered. If one of the aftermarket shocks on my truck explodes and drives the shaft through the truck bed, Toyota will tell me to talk with Fox about a claim.

Like I said, if you want a lift, do some research to see if it's possible to install one without causing problems. If it is, and you're willing to do what it takes for a good installation, do it with the knowledge that systems affected by a lift may have warranty issues later on. Without looking into it, I'd say that the stability, active safety, and cruise control systems may require recalibration, or there may be problems. If you feel confident that those kinds of systems can be managed post-lift, that's a big hurdle cleared.

85_Ranger4x4

Understanding the OP is Canadian and Magnuson-Moss therefore doesn't apply, but the significance of Magnusson-Moss to the aftermarket industry is largely misinterpreted. Magnuson-Moss does not protect altering the fundamentals of a vehicle (ride height, suspension & steering geometry, electronic programming, etc) without potentially sacrificing warranty coverage. Instead Magnuson-Moss protects the right to buy aftermarket replacement parts. The manufacturer cannot require the purchaser to buy parts and service only through from them to maintain warranty - your warranty can't be voided because you used a Wix filter or Duralast battery instead of buying Motorcraft (ACDelco, Subaru, etc.). Dealers & manufacturers do not routinely void the entire bumper-to-bumper coverage for a major modification (such as a lift), but the mod can affect coverage on more components than expected. Some dealers are more lenient than others, and some denials can be reversed through the courts. The manufacturer sets the warranty terms, and their dealer is generally the enforcement agency.

Finding and establishing a relationship with a mod-friendly dealer *BEFORE* modifying your new/warrantied vehicle can make all the difference in the service and treatment you'll receive, should an issue arise during the warranty period.

Exactly.

If I designed a truck, tested it to meet my reliability requirements and it passed before it went into production and was sold to the masses, and some yahoo jacks it up and puts big tires on it and drags it back in with 6 neutrals... I would tell him to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

You can't drastically alter a vehicle and expect the manufacture to still stand behind what YOU built. Lifts and oversize tires are more strain on both powertrain and suspension. Especially powertrain because everybody is too cheap to do a regear because a lot of money you can't show off.

Some dealers sell brand new trucks with lifts which is probably the way to go if you want to do this with a warranty, I would suspect your warranty would more or less be thru that dealership though.

MOguy

Explorer
Sorry, no.

This was the answer from Wilsonville Subaru in Oregon, not our dealer.

Subaru Canadas reply is above.

US Federal said (at least until recently) that if a manufacture required you to use them they had to perform the service for free, now allot of manufactures include free scheduled maintenance while under warranty so that way they can require you to use them. If not they were creating a monopoly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles