The Dometic CFX3 Mega Thread

Dometic

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
You may have missed it but at SEMA back in November we launched and shared our new CFX3 powered coolers.

There is something for everyone depending on your use and space considerations

dometic-cfx3-line.jpg

Some key improvements over the previous CFX coolers:
  • Updated appearance
  • Improved lids and handles
  • Fender frame protected edges so it will stand up to more abuse
  • Eliminated the dairy compartment to create more usable space
  • Brand new user interface - better resolution
  • Fully wrapped evaporator
  • Bluetooth and wifi control from a much improved phone app - temperature control, diagnostics, temperature and energy consumption history
  • Now includes a 5 year warranty (CFX was 2 years)
One of the big changes is that the CFX3 55IM makes ice! It has a freeze plate and includes silicone ice trays so you can make your favorite beverage on the rocks all while being off-grid.

All our units are available now at shop.dometic.com for pre-order. Shipments start February 1, 2020.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Use promo code Expedition20 for $25 off your order of $75+

Last edited:

Dometic

Slides for the CFX3 models

Key upgrades from the CFX line of slides
  • Lighter but same strength
  • 3” more extension in same footprint
  • New release mechanism - a lot more reliable and removes slop when slide is latched
  • Dust cover to keep sand out
  • Moved mounting holes for easier installation
  • Improved packaging to keep the slides in great shape until you install
  • Made in USA

Slide for the CFX3 28-35
CFX3 Slide 28-35_2.png

Slide for the CFX3 55IM
CFX3 Slide 55_2.png

Slide for the CFX3 75-95
CFX3 Slide 75-95_2.png

Slide for the CFX3 100
CFX Slide 100_2.png

Generally all are very similar in design except for the size of the slide and the cooler it matches up with.

Availability
You'll find additional product information and pre-orders open for the slides mid-February 2020.

Click here to visit our Accessories page

Note - As of Jan 22, 2020 we still have slides for the CFX series up on our site under the Accessories area.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Last edited:

Dometic

Reserved for info on accessories (covers, power, and more) for the CFX3 - info coming soon

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
When you say cooler, does that mean these use Peltier tech, rather than Danfoss-type DC compressors?

If so, is there a maximum temperature delta between ambient and internal?

Say ambient was 37°C. . .

Charles R

Adventurer
For the record, I wish you would do the side opening lid on all your models.

I love my small 28L, but I never liked the long door opening hitting the ceiling of my vehicle. Loading up, or pulling food out always required holding up the door with one hand. Now with a slide its technically easier... But ONLY if it's slid out. Because the slide raised the fridge, It's no longer feasible to add or remove food without going outside to fully open the rear hatch.

Just something to keep in mind for future updates!

Dometic

Just posted up photos and information on the new slides for the CFX3 line that will be available for pre-order mid-February.

See above
:thumbsup:
?

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

I'd shared some noise level specs in another thread and thought they'd be useful here as well.

These are the dB levels on all the models in our CFX3 line when they are running:

CFX3 35 44 dB
CFX3 45 47 dB
CFX3 55IM 48 dB
CFX3 75DZ 50 dB
CFX3 95DZ 50 dB
CFX3 100 50 dB

To compare:

60 dB would be a conversation in restaurant, office, background music, or an air conditioning unit at 100 feet.

50 dB would be a quiet suburb, conversation at home or large electrical transformers at 100 feet.

40 dB would be a library, bird calls (44 dB), or the lowest limit of urban ambient sound

30 dB would be a quiet rural area

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

Over a lot of conversations, we've heard a lot of questions related to fridge use and energy consumption; in particular, how long can you run a fridge without ending up in a "no-start" situation.

There are a lot of factors involved in determining this: type of battery or batteries, condition of the charging system, wiring to the fridge, how often you open the fridge, actual electrical consumption that the fridge requires, etc. While we may not be able to determine the condition of your wiring or charging system, we can help with info on what the CFX3 line of fridges consumes power-wise.

Dometic-CFX3-Electrical-Consumption.png

In the above graph, we've measured each of our CFX3 models running at typical fridge (39 degrees F) and freezer temperatures (5 degrees F) and how external ambient temp impacts energy consumption. Given that the hottest temps will be in the day, you can rest assured that power consumption at night will be much lower regardless of what temp you set.

While the above graph will help you decide what CFX3 you might be interested in and how your power system will support, you'll also have access to our updated app. Not only does it help you control and monitoring everything on your cooler, it even tracks power consumption. You'll quickly get a feel of how it works with your battery, batteries, or a stand-alone power source like our PLB-40.

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

So how do I figure out how long a plb40 might power a cfx3 75dz at 75

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I didn't receive a post notification for some reason.

Great question.

Given that the PLB40 has 40Ah of capacity, ambient temperature is constant at 75F, and the 75DZ consumes .8-.9 Ah/h (rounding up to 1Ah/h just for simplicity) holding internal temp to 39F, you should get around 40 hours of use - little more/little less depending on how you have it packed, how many times you open it, etc.

If you were running the internal temp at 5F, the 75DZ would be consuming about 2.7Ah/h, so the run time with the PLB40 would be around 14-15hrs. Plenty for overnight, and you are on the move and charging the next day.

The best part of the PLB40 is that you can use it in-line (switched power from the vehicle to the PLB40 then to the cooler). As you drive, it charges the PLB40 and also powers the cooler. When you stop, it just pulls from the PLB40, so you aren't drawing down your main battery.

If you haven't seen this video it might be helpful...

And a good walkthrough by Main Line Overland...

For more info on the PLB40 click here

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Last edited:

Dometic

One of the more complicated questions we get is relative to how our battery protection system works.

When does it know to shut off the cooler before you get to a no start situation (if you are using a single battery for your vehicle)? Even if you are using a secondary battery the same question applies except it removes the no start situation.

If you are using a single battery (starter battery) we recommend that you start out with our battery protection set to HIGH initially (and perhaps MEDIUM after you've done some testing to see how it works with your vehicle).

Here's why....
  1. Voltage is sensed at the CFX DC socket and not at the terminals on the batteries. Many people don't realize just how much voltage loss occurs with thin gauge wire, poor electrical connectors, and old wiring. For example, a member of our team has a '87 FJ60. When trying to using the 12V socket in the dash, there is such a terrible loss that it won't power a CFX regardless of battery protection setting.
  2. When current is pulled through a wire, the voltage drops by default, which causes more loss (Pukert's law).
Symptom
All the above can cause the battery protection to activate since the cooler isn't getting the power it needs - regardless of the reason. This also protects the cooler components.

Solution
If you have problems powering your cooler with your existing wiring pick up one of our DC Hardwire Kits. 10AWG direct from your battery to a socket for your cooler.

If you use a dual battery set up (in vehicle or one of our PLB40s) set battery protection to LOW.

Below is information showing at what points the battery protection for the CFX3 will kick in and shut the cooler down as well as in what range it will happily run.

cfx.jpg

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

We're received a few questions related to how the CFX3 accessories, specifically slides, and covers, compare, or are interchangeable between the product lines.

For sliders, the CFX sliders will work for the CFX3 as long as you don't jump sizes. Given this, you shouldn't have to upgrade your slide to the CFX3 version though it can extend further (in the same footprint), is lighter but stronger, has an improved locking mechanism, and includes a dust shield to keep sand and gunk out.

The bolt pattern of the CFX3 slider is a little different and therefore, wouldn't line up perfectly to existing mounting holes if you decide to upgrade to the CFX3.

For covers, the CFX3 covers are MUCH improved! Better fit, easier to open/close, keeps your cooler cleaner, and more.

The CFX covers won't work with the CFX3 units, nor will the CFX3 covers work with the CFX units.

Let us know if you have additional questions, and we'll work to get them answered!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Dometic

@nomad13 over on TacomaWorld just got his new CFX3 75DZ and a PLB40 and ran a little home test to see how long the PLB40 would power it. Here is his findings:

I pre cooled the fridge for a few hours via AC plug at 36°F, both compartments, and I fully charged the PLB40 battery then I proceeded to run the fridge with the battery at the same temperature. I only had a few cans of sparkling soda in one compartment and the other one was empty. It ran almost 44 hours inside my apartment with an indoor temperature off 72°F - 76°F.

I will run another test with one of the compartments set to around -5°F and see what the outcome will be.

This is my first time using any type or portable fridge/freezer and I'm impressed with the built quality of both items and how silent the compressor is. You won't notice it at all. I don't know if it is possible but it would be great to be able to see the battery life of the PLB40 through the app.
When fully loaded the performance should even improve. We're looking forward to hearing other experiences like this as new CFX3 units are landing around the country!

DOMETIC
mobile living made easy
shop.dometic.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles