Comfortable sleeping bag

MOguy

Explorer
I am sure this has been disccsed before, I did do a search and found nothing really helpful.

I am looking for a sleeping bag that is warm and comfortable. I am 6 foot 190lbs and want some room to move around in. I have a decent "mummy bag" but it just isn't comfortable for me. I prefer the interior not be nylon, but more of a cotton. I am not back packing and I sleep in a tent so it doesn't have to be compact or weather proof. I am also tight when it comes to money.

Has anybody used one like this?

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
You might search out Teton sleeping bags. I have an oversized rectangular 0 degree rated bag that I bought at my local Sportsman's Warehouse. I use it in my van and have camped in sub-20 degree weather and been completely comfortable. This bag is 40" wide and about 84" long. It has a flannel interior although I don't think it's cotton. Regardless, It's very soft and comfy. The bag is also rather heavy and bulky. It is great for vehicle based camping in cold weather. I paid maybe $60 5 years ago. For reference, I'm 6' and vary between 175-180.

robert

Expedition Leader
One of my friends who hunts out west uses one of the Cabela's bags and has been happy with it but I understand their quality has fallen off on a lot of products since they got bought by Bass Pro (Bass Pro has always sucked in my opinion and apparently Cabela's has lost a lot of ustomes because of the sellout). They still seem to be getting decent ratings so that might be an option.

I like a rectangular bag for car camping as well since I've always moved around a lot in my sleep. I only use my mummy bags when backpacking.

dbhost

Mind you, I am considerably heavier than that. I an old Coleman king size 30 degree bag that I like with Mexican blankets. The 40" width is nice and roomy, even for me, and it's tall enough I can tuck my head inside the bag should I desire to do so... The liner is something similar to flannel, although I suspect it is a different fabric all together... With a couple of mexican blankets, the bag, and sleeping in sweat pants / shirt and socks, I am quite comfortable without heat of any sort down into the teens. I lose the layers to adjust depending on temps, and I get up early to start the catalytic heater before my wife gets up, and I snuff it out after she goes to bed...

If you use air mattresses you will want to add a layer or two of added insulation between yourself and the mattress, particularly in colder weather. The big air bladder does a great job moving heat out of your body and into the air around it...

PA Slammer

Observer
Get a sleeping bag liner.

Or even better, get a couple of you favorite sheets made of your favorite type of material and have a local seamstress.

Sew them together up one side, across the bottom and half way up the other side.

MOguy

Explorer

Or even better, get a couple of you favorite sheets made of your favorite type of material and have a local seamstress.

Sew them together up one side, across the bottom and half way up the other side.

I have a thin light wait bag I can slip into if necessary.

PA Slammer

Observer
I have a thin light wait bag I can slip into if necessary.

I just meant to use this to line the inside or whatever bag you have or are going to buy. I also hate the feel of most bags. I’ll end up using long underwear or a cotton bag liner. So much more comfortable and you can easily wash them.

F350joe

I have this one and a 30 degree one from Wiggy. I always end up using the Antarctic one because I can unzip it to regulate heat to get more room for my legs and has more padding. It’s big though so I takes up a lot of space. In the summer I just use it as a blanket. I called my order in and he made it to length.

dbhost

Flannel sheets work well as sleeping bag liners to add additional warmth and comfort.

CSG

Explorer
Not for nuthin' but if you're camping in a vehicle, trailer, or tent, it's worth considering a comforter over the top of a decent pad. I also have a vintage Marmot semi-rectangular down bag that unzips fully and it's great as a milder season bag. Too small for me to sleep within but perfect as a comforter over my Exped pad. I do the same with the Teton bag if it's above 30 or so at night.

MOguy

Explorer

I have this one and a 30 degree one from Wiggy. I always end up using the Antarctic one because I can unzip it to regulate heat to get more room for my legs and has more padding. It’s big though so I takes up a lot of space. In the summer I just use it as a blanket. I called my order in and he made it to length.

too much $$$

MOguy

Explorer
They are expensive but can be thrown in the wash, work even if wet, and are very heavy duty. The washing thing is a big plus for me.

When it comes to this activity I'm mostly a weekend warrior, and not wanting to lay out that much money. I do understand the value of good products.

I'm actually washing some sleeping bags right now from my kids sleepover. I didn't even think about the washability issue until you brought it up.

The Coleman bag is washable, I have a older Coleman bag that serve me well.

Coleman is big name, it used to be very respected, not sure about now. It seems all too often the older companies that build a reputation for themselves end up selling out and go cheap.

JimBiram

Adventurer
Plus 1 for the Teton XL Bag...I love the box foot so you can move your feet. Rated to 0. Never slept so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles