recommendations for a portable air compresor

What are you all using for air up. I would like something powerful with a 100% duty cycle. MY typical use would be to take a 315 70 17 form about 15psi to 30 psi. I see stuff at arb for 850, and Via air for much less? Thought about a tank but that means refilling it all, and probably without much notice so no telling where and when I might need to. so compressor. I alos thought about on board. BUt that is one more project>>>>>

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
for capacity and cost effectiveness I would do a Viair and small tank. I've been using a cigarette lighter socket powered slime brand compressor for several years, it works but it's SLOW and I only run 285/75R16's.

bluejeep

just a guy
I've had great luck with a 110V compressor / inverter combination, which gives me the added benefit of being able to power other 110V items. I actually got my compressor at Harbor Freight over 10 years ago, and other than swapping out the crappy hose it has been flawless. Here's some pics during the mockup for changing the mounting around.

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_1526146.jpg
    IMG_20190301_1526146.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20190301_1527522.jpg
    IMG_20190301_1527522.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

MOguy

Explorer
I used CO2 for a short period, too much hassle. I have had an MV50 for close to a decade for tires up to 35s. Not much money, works great it is small but slower than others.

If you don't want to lay out much $$$ the MV50 is a great choice. If you have more money then time I don't think you can beat the ARB, as far as 12volt set ups.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've used this Puma compressor from eBay for over a decade, and I still think they're by far the best bang for the buck. I currently fill my Jeep on 38's, still happy with the speed. Not as fast as CO2 or a York, but I've never come across anyone with an electric compressor that's appreciably faster, despite what specs might say.

MOguy

Explorer
I've used this Puma compressor from eBay for over a decade, and I still think they're by far the best bang for the buck. I currently fill my Jeep on 38's, still happy with the speed. Not as fast as CO2 or a York, but I've never come across anyone with an electric compressor that's appreciably faster, despite what specs might say.

Is it AC? If so how big of a converter and how big is the compressor? It seem that compressor is popular with many people.

shade

Is it AC? If so how big of a converter and how big is the compressor? It seem that compressor is popular with many people.
It's 30A at 12VDC. You can scroll down that eBay page for the spec sheet. Puma makes a few 12V models.

For an all-in-one solution with a small tank, they're not bad at all. It wouldn't be difficult to separate the tank and permanently mount the compressor & tank later, if desired.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It's 30A at 12VDC. You can scroll down that eBay page for the spec sheet. Puma makes a few 12V models.

For an all-in-one solution with a small tank, they're not bad at all. It wouldn't be difficult to separate the tank and permanently mount the compressor & tank later, if desired.

It actually starts at 30amp shut off at 50amp.
I have run the crap out of a couple PUMA PD1006 for the last 12 years.
Im a dealer for several 12 volt compressors and have tested many. I rate the PUMA as the best value.

DzlToy

Explorer
Buy a used CO2 tank (#20) from a welding supply store. Throw a decent regulator on top, along with a guard and a decent quick connect air hose. There is no small/portable compressor in the world that beats the speed and reliability of this system. No power is required, tanks are bulletproof, regulator/flow are fast, simple and adjustable.

If you have money to burn, get the top of the line PowerTank system, with a regulator that will flow 45 CFM at 250 PSI. Do you need this for tires? Nope. Is it nice to pick up a bottle and not have to deal with a plug in compressor kit that takes 30 minutes to inflate all four tires? Yep. A CO2 bottle will also run air tools, blow dust out of campers and tents, pop a bead back on a tire and do many more tasks that you will never be able to accomplish with a small or low volume portable compressor.

If you insist on a portable 12VDC compressor, get an ARB and put it in a Pelican case with an Anderson plug to attach it directly to your battery. You should also buy a folding chair and a six pack because you are going to be there awhile.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I've used my Puma PD1006 to fill the tires of several guys whose PowerTanks had run out of CO2. And the Puma's pressure tank has allowed me to reseat beads, run air tools, and blow dust out of air filters, etc. Sure, it's nowhere near as fast as a high-flow CO2 regulator, but I simply hook it up to my Morrflate 4-tire air hose setup, grab a cold refreshment, and ********-chat with my friends who are all also airing up. By the time I finish my drink, my 38's are up from 6psi to 36psi and I'm ready to roll. I usually wind up helping others inflate their tires at that point because this Puma is so darn fast for being an inexpensive 12v compressor. Plus I don't have the cost and inconvenience of having to keep refilling a CO2 tank - I have unlimited compressed air.

I like keeping my Puma portable, but as Shade mentioned above, on a previous vehicle (first-gen 4Runner) I separated the compressor from the tank on a Puma PD1006 and managed to stuff the entire assembly (compressor, tank, and regulator) inside the empty wasted space of the rear quarter panel.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
CO2 is by far one of the fastest ways to air up.....until its empty BTDT

Only Viair 450 and above are 100 duty cycle.

For portable Extremeaire Magnum is the fastest. There are smaller models available. PM if interested

ExtremeAire Magnum Expedition

1579729063002.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles