2020 Rubicon Special Edition Recon...Coming Soon to A Dealer Near You

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The Newest Special Edition of the Jeep Wrangler Has Been Announced....introducing the Recon Rubicon

If you want the extra paint, trim and mods, this seems like a pretty good deal for folks going the Rubi Route, because, as mentioned below...you only have to pay an additional $2755 for this package whereas “the total for these stand-alone options comes to $5630, which is more than double the price for the same upgrades as part of the Recon Edition.” But still, that extra cost means you’re going to have to keep working on adding to that piggy bank of yours if you want to have enough greenbacks to get one of these rigs.

(I’m being lazy and just cut and pasting the whole article below for y’all)

• The iconic Jeep Wrangler is getting yet another special edition, this time for the Rubicon trim level.
  • Named the Recon Special Edition and spotted by the keen types at JL Wrangler Forums, it adds even more off-road equipment to the already capable Wrangler Rubicon.
  • The Recon is a massive bargain at $2755 for all of the upgrades, compared with $5630 that the set of options would cost if selected à la carte.
“The Jeep Wrangler is known for two things: for having serious off-road chops and for having more special editions than you could possibly remember. The JK Wranglers had a fair few special editions, and it appears as though the current JL Wrangler will be the same.

So far, There have been Black and Tan, Willys, and Freedom Editions. The latest special edition model for 2020 is the Wrangler Rubicon Recon Edition, which shapes up to be a bargain for all the off-road goodies that it comes with.

from the JL Wrangler Forum:
A0251E2B-3F00-451C-AE00-30FB04C57984.jpeg

As first reported by JL Wrangler Forums, the Recon Edition is yet to be officially released by Jeep; who doesn’t love leaks? For all Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts, which JL Wrangler Forums is full of, this special edition is worth getting excited about since it adds a boatload of optional equipment for the reasonable price of $2755.
The package is only available on the top-end Rubicon trim, which comes standard with all-terrain tires, locking front and rear Dana 44 axles, and a low 4:1 transfer case.

The changes that come with the Recon Edition start under the hood, where the standard naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V-6 and six-speed manual transmission are replaced by Jeep's torquey turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four mated to the optional eight-speed automatic.

The exterior sees a plethora of upgrades: LED headlights and taillights, a red and black hood stripe decal, Moab rock rails, new wheels with a black paint finish, a gloss black grille, body-color fenders, a Recon fender badge, front and rear steel bumpers with bumper loops, and a black hardtop roof. The interior gets red seatbelts and seat bolsters with red stitching. A lot of stuff for not a lot of money.

a truck traveling down a road next to a body of water: 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
© FCA 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

If you separately purchased all the listed equipment that comes standard in the package, you could expect to pay $495 for body-color fenders, $1195 for the black three-piece hardtop roof, $1045 for the LED light upgrades, $1395 for front and rear steel bumpers, and $1500 for the engine change from the standard 3.6-liter V-6 to the 2.0 turbo four, according to the Jeep Wrangler configurator.

The total for these stand-alone options comes to $5630, which is more than double the price for the same upgrades as part of the Recon Edition. So far, the only news we have on the Rubicon Recon Edition is from the post on JL Wrangler Forum, so when we hear more from Jeep, we'll be sure to fill in the little details.”

Some more details here:

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
I think those are the gladiator rubicon option wheels (which I have on mine and love). I think it's a deal given the steel bumpers and LED lights. I wouldn't order a rubi without the steel bumpers and LED's anyway as I hate most of the aftermarket bumpers out there and the LED's are so much better I couldn't go back, so from that standpoint you get around $3k of stuff for free.

Thinman

I wonder if FCA is trying to get rid of excess 2.0t eTorque engines and drawing people in with the lower priced option package. It is the only drive train available with this package for whatever reason and is not available otherwise on the Rubicon. It is available for the Sahara though.

1579394918775.png

grogie

Like to Camp
I really wish they'd stop with the red accents on everything.

I was watching TFL on YouTube yesterday of GMC's 2021 trucks/suvs, and a number of them had red tow hooks in front. I was thinking, where did I see that?! Call it flattery I guess?

It is kind of interesting calling attention to tow hooks with red paint like you're going to need them?!

zebra12

I wonder if FCA is trying to get rid of excess 2.0t eTorque engines and drawing people in with the lower priced option package. It is the only drive train available with this package for whatever reason and is not available otherwise on the Rubicon.

The Recon package is interesting, but I believe you are right on the turbo engines. A way to get rid of them.

(none)

Adventurer
I have nothing much to contribute on the Recon aspect, but i had rental Sahara Unlimited 2.0t. Picked it up with 600 miles on the clock. I was very pleasantly surprised. Motor ran very well, great torque in the mid range. Trans shifted nicely. I ran it pretty hard for 600-700 miles, ended up with turning 17-18mpg.

Bobzdar

Observer
I have nothing much to contribute on the Recon aspect, but i had rental Sahara Unlimited 2.0t. Picked it up with 600 miles on the clock. I was very pleasantly surprised. Motor ran very well, great torque in the mid range. Trans shifted nicely. I ran it pretty hard for 600-700 miles, ended up with turning 17-18mpg.

I had a rental sport for around a week, drove it normally and got 24-25mpg. Like you said, great mid range torque, only thing I didn't like about it was the sound as it sounded like a mid-90's cavalier, but it was otherwise great.

(none)

Adventurer
I had a rental sport for around a week, drove it normally and got 24-25mpg. Like you said, great mid range torque, only thing I didn't like about it was the sound as it sounded like a mid-90's cavalier, but it was otherwise great.

This is very true. Especially on a cold start... not a great sound/tone.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I hate how just about every manufacturer has lame one off packages that are just a few cosmetic upgrades.

This package seems nice-ish. I don't like the engine or the red everything (red seatbelts? Come on!) Additionally, Recon? Assuming it's short for reconnaissance, How is bright red accents and LED recon?
Also unfortunately, it will sell.

Super down for a stock Rubicon tho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles