Baja race

lawdawg

I was curious if anyone has done a Baja type race in their G wagon? I’m over in South Carolina and looking at doing a race in Baja. I have my g500, but don’t know if it is conducive or if I need to pick up a bronco or tundra to modify. Looking to go have fun in the Norra 1000 In April.

GlenStanley

It's sure fun to watch as you get see a little bit of everything. Should be a kick in the pants to do...

Good Luck!

toddz69

Explorer
I've done every NORRA 1000 except one and I don't ever remember seeing any G-wagens in the race - you can always be the first!

Todd Z.

lawdawg

I'm going to assume there is a good reason for that, maybe I'll pick up an old tundra or bronco to do it in.

b dkw1

Observer
Racing the Baja 1000 would be miserable in a G wagon. NORRA might be doable but still not what I would call fun. If you have plenty of spares and some really good friends to help you might be able to finish NORRA. B1K, no chance.

SonnyTheElder

I was curious if anyone has done a Baja type race in their G wagon? I’m over in South Carolina and looking at doing a race in Baja. I have my g500, but don’t know if it is conducive or if I need to pick up a bronco or tundra to modify. Looking to go have fun in the Norra 1000 In April.
During the CGW Treffen in Moab a couple of months ago, we met John who is aiming to do just that. He's documenting his build progress here.
Racing the Baja 1000 would be miserable in a G wagon. NORRA might be doable but still not what I would call fun. If you have plenty of spares and some really good friends to help you might be able to finish NORRA. B1K, no chance.
I can't wait to see how John mentioned above fairs.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
There is also the Sonora Rally ....
I have also been a part of the NORRA Mex 1k for a number of years and since it all about fun I think you could do it if you were more about the experience than beating your rig to death.
VW Syncro vans, Porsche 911's and other less than normal vehicles have made it and far more impact is the driver than rig.
However, I would really recommend you offer to chase/support someone first then race the next year. Join Race Dezert and post up and you will find folks who would love your help with support.
That was my plan and I have found that chasing is far more fun than racing with less risk and more relaxation.

Racing Baja is super hard on stock vehicles. It would be fun to try to finish in a G-Wagen. You are more likely to finish a Norra 500/1000, because the pace/time constraints, than a SCORE Baja 500/1000. There are lot of factors involved, i.e. how well you prep, experience, driving skill and chase crew/spare parts/recovery. I know everyone always points to Class 11 and say, "well they can make it". That is true, however, a Class 11 VW has the benefit of decades of racing in Baja and by knowing exactly what parts to modify/strengthen/protect. In the last Baja 1000, only one Class 11 finished with 10mins left on the clock (nearly 34hrs) and we had 10 chase vehicles to carry parts/fuel/tires and rescue ! That bug now needs a serious rebuild, before the next race. Be prepared to have spares for transmission, driveline components (shafts, differential, axle), suspension/steering (springs, radius arms, links, shocks, etc...) and many spare wheels/tires. A large part is experience, so if you have the resources, come out and try it, you will get hooked and learn stuff at every race.

jamesgolden123

Buy a used, race-ready UTV at www.race-dezert.com and use the G-Wagon or Truck as the tow/chase vehicle.
Or better yet, post an ad on race-dezert that you're looking for a team that needs a co-driver, chase guy, etc and go experience the race without the big expense.
The amount of knowledge your obtain after seeing the event first hand is priceless, come back the following year with your own car and team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles