Pop up Camper LiFePO4 system

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I’m building a truck camper with the following. See any compatibility issues? I know the redarc handles solar and alternator but i didn’t want all my eggs in one basket. Also, now i should be able to charge 50a from the truck in addition to the solar while driving.

2020 ram 3500 diesel, dual 220a alternators

2x 100ah battleborn batteries
Redarc 50a DC to DC
400w solar to victron 100/50 MPPT
Victron bmv 712
Victron color control GX
Victron 2000w inverter charger

Lmk whatcha think!

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
I would only use charge sources with user-custom adjustable setpoints with an LFP bank.

An HVC could be added, but better IMO to go with Sterling, or maybe Kisae for the DCDC.

AFAIK they are the only ones?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
You will need a beefy wire to charge at 50A from the tow vehicle. The factory harness is not likely rated for that load.

With 440A of alternator you can easily charge at 100A. 100A is about the max continuous I would pull from the BB 100AH units. Just make sure your wiring is up to the task.

Note that starting large inductive loads from the inverter can trip the BB BMS overcurrent protection causing some odd behavior.

DRP

Maybe save a couple $ and go 100/30 mppt it will handle up to 440 watts.
For the BtoB, wait a month and Victron will have theirs out. It’s only 30A but they can be paralleled and you have enough Alt. power to push two.
You would be all Victron then

Mlachica

I would only use charge sources with user-custom adjustable setpoints with an LFP bank.

An HVC could be added, but better IMO to go with Sterling, or maybe Kisae for the DCDC.

AFAIK they are the only ones?

While I don't think I can customize a charging profile with the redarc, it does have a LiFePO4 profile.

You will need a beefy wire to charge at 50A from the tow vehicle. The factory harness is not likely rated for that load.

With 440A of alternator you can easily charge at 100A. 100A is about the max continuous I would pull from the BB 100AH units. Just make sure your wiring is up to the task.

Note that starting large inductive loads from the inverter can trip the BB BMS overcurrent protection causing some odd behavior.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely intend to use the appropriate wire size.

Battery heaters? Otherwise it is a dream boondocking system!

Thanks! The heater ducts will be plumbed to the batteries as well as the water system.

Maybe save a couple $ and go 100/30 mppt it will handle up to 440 watts.
For the BtoB, wait a month and Victron will have theirs out. It’s only 30A but they can be paralleled and you have enough Alt. power to push two.
You would be all Victron then

That's a great point. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'll likely start with the redarc since the camper build is about to start.

I want to be able to expand my solar array. I may end up putting a third panel.

Yes we need pioneers to test the new hotness for a few years, let us know how well they work

Will do!

shade

I’m building a truck camper with the following. See any compatibility issues? I know the redarc handles solar and alternator but i didn’t want all my eggs in one basket. Also, now i should be able to charge 50a from the truck in addition to the solar while driving.

2020 ram 3500 diesel, dual 220a alternators

2x 100ah battleborn batteries
Redarc 50a DC to DC
400w solar to victron 100/50 MPPT
Victron bmv 712
Victron color control GX
Victron 2000w inverter charger

Lmk whatcha think!
About that Redarc. Better make sure this doesn't apply if charging below 0C will be a concern.

john61ct

Adventurer
While I don't think I can customize a charging profile with the redarc, it does have a LiFePO4 profile
I have yet to see one that suits what I'd want, for longevity.

No custom option is IMO a deal breaker.

About that Redarc. Better make sure this doesn't apply if charging below 0C will be a concern.
Well you def don't want to be charging below zero, so that's very useful with LFP.

shade

Well you def don't want to be charging below zero, so that's very useful with LFP.
My concern would be if it shut down charging if any component was below 0C, not just at a battery mounted probe.

It shouldn't, but then again, it's pretty stupid for it to stop charging all battery types below 0C. Better to find out before purchase.

john61ct

Adventurer
it's pretty stupid for it to stop charging all battery types below 0C. Better to find out before purchase.
I agree

> My concern would be if it shut down charging if any component was below 0C, not just at a battery mounted probe

Just saying that's not a bug but a feature for LFP, many BMS don't handle that and then people (with that issue) have to spend time & money figuring out how to get that functionality.

shade

I agree

> My concern would be if it shut down charging if any component was below 0C, not just at a battery mounted probe

Just saying that's not a bug but a feature for LFP, many BMS don't handle that and then people (with that issue) have to spend time & money figuring out how to get that functionality.
It is kind of funny to see such a pricey unit get that right for LFP, but at the expense of other chemistries.

john61ct

Adventurer
LFP is a lot more mainstream in Oz, and they're used to paying a lot for home-grown quality gear.

But don't camp in the snow much it seems

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It's just a firmware update too...

Other than the vic or NSW high country average daily temps don't drop below freezing.

Mlachica

In the comments, battleborn states redarcs compatibility with their batteries

Also, as I mentioned earlier. The water and electrical systems will be climate controlled, the heater ducts will keep them above freezing. I don't live in a sub zero climate, but will camp in them. If I'm camping in that weather I guarantee you the inside of my camper won't be at 0C haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior