Maggiolina Fabric Removal and Reinstallation to replace zipper

Echo_29

Observer
A couple of years ago one of the zippers on our Airlander started to fail. All attempts to fix the zipper failed as the teeth were already jacked-up. Now the zipper stops about nine-inches short of closure. Last year I got a replacement zipper from Autohome USA but haven't been able to find anyone that can replace the zipper while the fabric is still attached to the tent (I was hoping there'd be a way to do this...). The places I spoke to said the material would need to be removed for the replacement to happen. The person that seems most qualified to do the work is a sail repair shop with 40-years of experience and he suggests using a stouter zipper.

So, unless you have viable ideas on in-situ zipper replacement, I'm wondering if anyone has removed and replaced the fabric? How'd it go and if you have any suggestions?
While removal appears straight forward I fear reinstallation could easily become a cluster, so before that happens I thought I'd at least ask first!

Except for the zipper the tent has been flawless for the eight years we've owned it. If you want a well-built tent that can handle the most serious winds, this is it!
Thanks.

Maggiolina.jpg

Westy

Adventurer
I will be following here to see what kind of first hand experience others may have in terms of replacing the fabric on one of the Maggiolinas. I too have one, its a very old Extreme model but works great still. They are a great piece of equipment especially in harsh weather, many great nights of sleep had in ours.

dstock

Explorer
Have you asked Autohome how to remove the fabric?

Any quality automotive upholstery shop should be able to handle the replacement of the zipper. I managed to break the annex zipper on our CVT RTT, completely my fault, and CVT explained to me how to remove the tent fabric from the frame to have it fixed. I dropped the fabric portion off with the zipper and it was done in a couple days.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The zippers on my Columbus also went south...but I was able to get this to buy me time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MRFPKM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And they work very well. But long term I'll probably need to remove the fabric walls and sew in a new zipper...which will be a larger gauge YKK brand zipper when/if I do it. Looks like the rivets will need to be drilled out and then the fabric can be removed. Not a job I look forward to. Just wish the factory would have spent a couple bucks more for YKK and larger gauge in the first place.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A couple of years ago one of the zippers on our Airlander started to fail. All attempts to fix the zipper failed as the teeth were already jacked-up. Now the zipper stops about nine-inches short of closure. Last year I got a replacement zipper from Autohome USA but haven't been able to find anyone that can replace the zipper while the fabric is still attached to the tent (I was hoping there'd be a way to do this...). The places I spoke to said the material would need to be removed for the replacement to happen. The person that seems most qualified to do the work is a sail repair shop with 40-years of experience and he suggests using a stouter zipper.

So, unless you have viable ideas on in-situ zipper replacement, I'm wondering if anyone has removed and replaced the fabric? How'd it go and if you have any suggestions?
While removal appears straight forward I fear reinstallation could easily become a cluster, so before that happens I thought I'd at least ask first!

Except for the zipper the tent has been flawless for the eight years we've owned it. If you want a well-built tent that can handle the most serious winds, this is it!
Thanks.

View attachment 560898

Couple of things (needle nerd)......

In the industry, the zipper is a “pull” and the teeth are the “coil”. Not being familiar with how the tent is affixed so I can’t really recommend how to repair other then if a new pull will fix the problem a good automotive convertible repair shop usually has the skill and tools to replace a pull since a lot of convertible rear windows are zipped in and have to be replaced from time to time due to cracking or tearing.Good luck.

alia176

Explorer
I didn't read the entire thread but my info might help others and the OP. The OP has an actual zipper teeth issue but mine is geared toward the slider issue.

My mondo zipper pull (slider) was failing due to age on the kamparoo. I took the camper to my local luggage/zipper repair dude, paid him $50 and he did magic. Zippers don't age, just the pull looses it's effectiveness due to the fine teeth that grounds down from usage.

He needed to slide off the old zipper pull and install a new one. So, he undid the ends of each zipper, way at the end, out of the way that's hard to access. After sliding off the old pull, he slid on the new pull and re-sewed the zipper back to the tent material. $25 x 2 for both sides and I'm good to for another 16 years of zipping. YMMV.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles