2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
I read all the griping about the low payload and towing numbers and I get that they are derated from standard trucks for reasons to satisfy the feds or engineers but in the real world how do they handle heavy payloads and trailers?

Late response but like I said I've towed dual jetski trailers, a small uhaul trailer and a 20 some odd foot long boat without issue. Of course an F250 would haul that same stuff with breaking a sweat but I didn't feel hamstrung against a more close competitor like a Tundra or F150. There was a bit of sag but nothing unsafe. And as much as some people loathe the idea of having to modify their vehicle as soon as purchasing it, throwing a set of Deaver springs on it will kind of make this whole "iT CaN't ToW" stuff a moot point. Those feel like what the truck should have come with.

YcdPXD2.jpg

CampStewart

Observer
Late response but like I said I've towed dual jetski trailers, a small uhaul trailer and a 20 some odd foot long boat without issue. Of course an F250 would haul that same stuff with breaking a sweat but I didn't feel hamstrung against a more close competitor like a Tundra or F150. There was a bit of sag but nothing unsafe. And as much as some people loathe the idea of having to modify their vehicle as soon as purchasing it, throwing a set of Deaver springs on it will kind of make this whole "iT CaN't ToW" stuff a moot point. Those feel like what the truck should have come with.

YcdPXD2.jpg
Thanks that is kind of what I expected a real world report would be vs all the whining from those who just look at numbers and haven't actually tried towing or hauling

squeezer

Adventurer
Have a 2019... Love the ride and drive. The 3.5 has more power than I am willing to use 99.99% of the time. Tows extremely well as the torque curve is table flat. The 10 speed is a great transmission (but a little nervous sometimes). Sound is subjective, the quieter the better for me so there are no complaints. Bought it as a pure toy and am more than happy with everything.

mobob

I read all the griping about the low payload and towing numbers and I get that they are derated from standard trucks for reasons to satisfy the feds or engineers but in the real world how do they handle heavy payloads and trailers?

My Gen 1 tow's great within its limits. No issues with my 20ft bassboat ( about 5000lbs). Gen 2 is better. No shortage of power for whatever your towing with either one. They are quite thirsty while hauling as I averaged about 9.5 mpg on the last 1200 mile trip to MN and back. I also had a lot of camping gear in the bed and was pushing the weight limits overall with no ill effects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

I just have a hard time giving up the V8, but the 2nd Gen Raptor has a lot going for it.

I totally get it...buut the only thing the V8 does better...is sound. After a couple of times opening up the 3.5HO you won't care at all about how it sounds or the number of cylinders...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

b9ev

Adventurer
I agree the only thing better is the sound. And I love v8s. My wife prefers the v6 even for sound.

I totally get it...buut the only thing the V8 does better...is sound. After a couple of times opening up the 3.5HO you won't care at all about how it sounds or the number of cylinders...lol.

adaml

I appreciate all the thoughts so far. I love the looks of the Raptor (1st & 2nd Gen) and the performance of the Ecopoop is pretty impressive. I just have a hard time giving up the V8, but the 2nd Gen Raptor has a lot going for it.

I get that it doesn't sound like a GT500 but I still have smile on my face every time I get in the car and push the start button. Again, coming from a 4Runner, I think the truck sounds pretty good.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Well because I was bored and the Ford Dealership is open on Sunday, I figured I’d go drive a 2020 Raptor with the EcoPoop V6. From the outside the truck is really good looking. Once inside the seats were comfortable, but I didn’t love how my left leg sat up against the drivers door arm rest. The truck had good power leaving the dealership, but once it downshifted on the two lane highway all I wanted to do was get out of the truck as fast as possible. That fake sound they pump through the speakers is absolutely terrible. I was so happy to get back to the dealership and back in my Power Wagon. How the hell are they selling these trucks for $70,000 plus ADM?

HAF

I have a 2019 Raptor and use for a daily driver. Its my favorite of all the vehicles I have owned. Have owned several Chevys with the Duramax, and 5.3. Went from that to a Ram with Cummins. Then to an F150 for a year. After that, it was into my Raptor. I typically own a truck three years then on to the next. The Raptor is different for me. I really like driving it. I really this thing, whip it around corners hard, work the suspension. Its a truck for those who love to drive. The suspension is the best part. Its great on buckled roads.
Its a personal choice. If this truck got wrecked, I would replace it with another one!

Attachments

• B8216D98-C022-4AAF-B9BD-4A8CF051615E.jpeg
    B8216D98-C022-4AAF-B9BD-4A8CF051615E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Well because I was bored and the Ford Dealership is open on Sunday, I figured I’d go drive a 2020 Raptor...

I can understand wanting to get something better after Ram ownership.

....with the EcoPoop V6.

Oh c'mon I know you can do better than that!

From the outside the truck is really good looking. Once inside the seats were comfortable, but I didn’t love how my left leg sat up against the drivers door arm rest.

Yes I agree, its a decent looking truck. Not as good as the Gen1 but I'm biased. Are you a bit taller? My friend is 6'4" and complains about the same thing.

The truck had good power leaving the dealership, but once it downshifted on the two lane highway all I wanted to do was get out of the truck as fast as possible. That fake sound they pump through the speakers is absolutely terrible. I was so happy to get back to the dealership and back in my Power Wagon. How the hell are they selling these trucks for $70,000 plus ADM?

Serious question, why was it during the downshift that made you take issue with it? You know you can control the downshifts right?

The fake sound is minor niggle and can be disabled in forscan in about 3 minutes. It also has sound deadening properties, and isn't piped in that much on the higher end audio package. Plus this is becoming the norm, even the new C8 has fake engine noise so its just a trend we're going to have to deal with (until we go full electric and it will be a moot point).

And they are selling them because they're still in demand. Some people do have the money for these 70k trucks or else these companies wouldn't be making them.

yfarm

Observer
Have a gen 1, wonderful long distance highway vehicle, drive 1000 mile days without issue. Prefer to wife’s cayenne for road trips. Tow a 3.5k Casita easily as fast as I want to go, only downside is 26 gal tank, towing at 65 lose about 1 mpg. Towed a 26ft Prowler Cat, 6k right at limit for Supercab. Plenty of power, no swaying, 9 mpg at 60 mph. 1/4 inch off the bump stops with trailer level. Ruminating about spring swap on rear to Deavers vs new 7.3 F250 Supercab Short box. Don’t want a diesel. Will probably do the Deaver swap.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I can understand wanting to get something better after Ram ownership.

Oh c'mon I know you can do better than that!

Yes I agree, its a decent looking truck. Not as good as the Gen1 but I'm biased. Are you a bit taller? My friend is 6'4" and complains about the same thing.

Serious question, why was it during the downshift that made you take issue with it? You know you can control the downshifts right?

The fake sound is minor niggle and can be disabled in forscan in about 3 minutes. It also has sound deadening properties, and isn't piped in that much on the higher end audio package. Plus this is becoming the norm, even the new C8 has fake engine noise so its just a trend we're going to have to deal with (until we go full electric and it will be a moot point).

And they are selling them because they're still in demand. Some people do have the money for these 70k trucks or else these companies wouldn't be making them.

I’m on my 2nd HD Hemi and really enjoy owning a Ram, just wanted to test drive something different.
I’m 6’8” so legroom can be an issue.
It wasn’t the lack of power that bothered me, it was the fake sound. My God that’s awful!

Right now my truck list is between the new Power Wagon, the new Ford SD Tremor (gas motor), and the “hope we see it soon” Ram Rebel TRX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke