XPCamper goes out of business, files for bankruptcy?

The Artisan

Adventurer
For a local shop half up front makes total sense. Keep you on crushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks concentrating on more full restorations. The toppers will take off as well. I will hire and manage after that. I will still do the sewing though. Here is the type of work I do now.IMG_1091.JPG

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
May I ask where you live? A house for 48k. What kind of neighborhood is that in?

I live in northwest PA. I'm a very short 10 minute drive from a National Forest and multiple ways to use my kayaks, whether on the Allegheny River, the Conewango Creek, or other bodies of water that drain into them, including the reservoir behind the Kinzua Dam, which itself is inside the National Forest. I can use the access road 30 feet from my house to launch or to land if I kayak down from New York.

Full disclosure: the house I got was somewhat undervalued, as it was owned by two elderly teachers whose estate simply wanted to sell it. I placed my bid at work at 3 in the morning or so when I saw it, which "auto-placed" a deposit at 9:00am that next morning. The next bid was attempted a few minutes later, so I snuck in, luckily.

Here's a Zillow list of what's for sale now where I live. You can find a fair amount for reasonable money:
https://www.zillow.com/warren-pa/

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The problem with homes that cheap, is that the area is in low demand for a reason. Typically lack of employment opportunities. Its a hard sell, moving to an area with a 2 hour drive to a well staffed hospital. Poor internet (if any), and bare minimum employment centers.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Thanks concentrating on more full restorations. The toppers will take off as well. I will hire and manage after that. I will still do the sewing though. Here is the type of work I do now.View attachment 559705
Hat tip......impressive work! Well done.

As for "deposit or no deposit", we currently offer custom textile work. We don't take deposits during initial conversations and design. Once a customer approves the design and price they go into our custom order queue. Once their custom order hits my design/cut and sew table the front office confirms they still want the custom order, if so, they pay in full and the order goes into manufacturing. We don't manufacture anything custom without full payment. You'd be surprised how many people will forget a deposit and not wish to pay the remainder. This is the same for $200 Jeep gear carrier or $20,000 GSA order. Now, with that being said we will be limiting our custom offerings due to the demand for larger quantities from established individuals and companies and the surprise people seem to have on pricing for USA/Colorado custom made gear.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hat tip......impressive work! Well done.

As for "deposit or no deposit", we currently offer custom textile work. We don't take deposits during initial conversations and design. Once a customer approves the design and price they go into our custom order queue. Once their custom order hits my design/cut and sew table the front office confirms they still want the custom order, if so, they pay in full and the order goes into manufacturing. We don't manufacture anything custom without full payment. You'd be surprised how many people will forget a deposit and not wish to pay the remainder. This is the same for $200 Jeep gear carrier or $20,000 GSA order. Now, with that being said we will be limiting our custom offerings due to the demand for larger quantities from established individuals and companies and the surprise people seem to have on pricing for USA/Colorado custom made gear.
Thanks with my wait times as they are the deposit gives them skin in the game. I am happy to refund a deposit though if the project has not been started.
Kevin

utherjorge

Observer
The problem with homes that cheap, is that the area is in low demand for a reason. Typically lack of employment opportunities. Its a hard sell, moving to an area with a 2 hour drive to a well staffed hospital. Poor internet (if any), and bare minimum employment centers.
We actually go the other way: jobs, with no people to fill them. We have a refinery in town, and a steel plant, and for some of the skilled labor work that's going on, they can't find people. Lots of people here (my next door neighbor, for instance) works at the Cummins plant right over the border...and they can't often can't find people to work to fill jobs.

Declining population is one of the problems. Where I work is a school district that had 1100 students in 1999. We're at under 400 now.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Birth rates are down, but also immigration to rural areas is as well. For some reason immigrants typically end up in cities over the last 20 years (no comment on the cause). Australia has an interesting incentive program. Immigrants, especially doctors, but also regular laborers, will get an expedited citizenship track and easier work permit if they agree to live/work in a rural community for at least 4 years.

The other issue is the permanence of those jobs. When/if the refinery or factory closes or cuts jobs during the next recession, is there another option to support ones self? Switching to a lower paying or part time job is easier near a commercial hub.

rruff

Explorer
We actually go the other way: jobs, with no people to fill them. We have a refinery in town, and a steel plant, and for some of the skilled labor work that's going on, they can't find people.

You can always find people if you are willing to pay enough...

If your business can be easily moved to a poor country though, you're screwed.

utherjorge

Observer
The other issue is the permanence of those jobs. When/if the refinery or factory closes or cuts jobs during the next recession, is there another option to support ones self?

I think the refinery should be recession-proof, as there aren't many that aren't near the ocean, RE: climate change.

The steel plant, though, did privatize, or whatever you call it, cutting previous pensions and wages...and they still can't find people. A solid railroad in place helps keep all of these businesses working, and it can go east or west for its customers, also a bit of a rarity. All of the above is luck...remnants of an industrial complex from 100 years ago.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I live in northwest PA. I'm a very short 10 minute drive from a National Forest and multiple ways to use my kayaks, whether on the Allegheny River, the Conewango Creek, or other bodies of water that drain into them, including the reservoir behind the Kinzua Dam, which itself is inside the National Forest. I can use the access road 30 feet from my house to launch or to land if I kayak down from New York.

Pretty area, I live in VA but was just up there before Christmas fishing for steelhead in Westfield. There is tons of great fishing in that area and short drives.....

1578270347513.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
I feel terrible for the customers who lost money in the bankruptcy. If I were in their shoes I too would likely feel like Marc was a criminal who intentionally defrauded me. But having gotten to know Marc and the business a bit I don't believe that to be the case. I don't believe he ever felt, up to the last day in business, that he wouldn't pull it out and eventually fulfill all orders and turn a profit again.

According to what some have said, he *was* taking money and flat out lying about the progress of their builds. That seems like fraud... and knowing well in advance that he was going under.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If the contract states that additional monies are due at each stage of build, and he misrepresented (lied) about the stage of the build. That is sufficient evidence to warrant a civil fraud case.

Basic tenets of fraud.

• Misrepresentation of a material fact
  • Knowledge on the part of the accused that they were misrepresenting the fact
  • The misrepresentation was made purposefully, with the intent of fooling the victim
  • The victim believed the misrepresentation and relied upon it
  • The victim suffered damages as a result of the misrepresentation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles