Storage box options

Mccaf

Adventurist
Thanks you guys!
afaik the Front runner racks will not work on the Rhino Rack system. Similar, but will they?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks you guys!
afaik the Front runner racks will not work on the Rhino Rack system. Similar, but will they?

Looks like the bracket mounts to the "T" slots . Other than different spacing of the slats between the Frontrunner and Rhino rack, I would think the bracket should work.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Looks like the bracket mounts to the "T" slots . Other than different spacing of the slats between the Frontrunner and Rhino rack, I would think the bracket should work.
Well, if the slats are different spacing the rack would not work. Unless it’s adjustable. I’ll have to check into that.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I went to Home Depot and do not like the Plano boxes they seem flimsy and the 108 qt has Moulding inside taking up space. May still be 108qt but the plastic extrusions inter fear with storage. There is also no seam to run weatherstrip. OTOH, 54qt has the seam, smooth interior but was also somewhat less flimsy.
I’ll be checking the Wolfpack’s out....

krick3tt

Adventurer
Even if the bracket holes do not correspond to the rack spacing it can be done. I put Baja Rack items on my Front Runner rack by simply drilling holes in the base to properly space the item. A little paint and you're done.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I settled on 4 Wolfpack’s with the flat top.

The Wolf Pack has a grooves running across the top that a strap grabs. They stay nice and tight on the rack when strapped down.

I found that. 1.5” strap will fit into the “hinge” area on each side, but barely stay in the “groove" across the width. If you want to strap it length wise it would not work as well. I guess if you crank the hell out of the strap.... but on rough roads I can only wonder if the box would crack or come loose.

I then had the need to buy 2 of the hi 4” lids, and upon arrival noticed the grooves are deeper and well defined for the straps! Much Better! Ordering 2 more.

Even if the bracket holes do not correspond to the rack spacing it can be done. I put Baja Rack items on my Front Runner rack by simply drilling holes in the base to properly space the item. A little paint and you're done.
Drilling is the only option. I called Front Runner and the guy pulled a spec sheet and told me the mount hole mounts on the rack are 22”. (Great Cust Svc). Upon measuring the Rhino Rack There is no possible combination to mount the rack without drilling.

I so wish I would have gone with the Front Runner rack. Better accessories, more of them, WAY better prices, and WAY better customer service. Have had to call them 3 times with my daft questions- to successful answers, while Rhino Rack has failed in this dept. more than once. I thought I did my research, haha.

Thanks for the input people, much appreciated!

Ducstrom

I have no experience with any of the boxes mentioned so far, but I use Milwaukee packout boxes for work. They are pretty tough and have a 'waterproof' gasket. Lots of sizes available, they are stackable, and they even make a base plate for them to mount to. A strapless way to secure boxes with a one button removal would be pretty neat.

LowKeyOverland

I went to Home Depot and do not like the Plano boxes they seem flimsy and the 108 qt has Moulding inside taking up space. May still be 108qt but the plastic extrusions inter fear with storage. There is also no seam to run weatherstrip. OTOH, 54qt has the seam, smooth interior but was also somewhat less flimsy.
I’ll be checking the Wolfpack’s out....

Plano makes different versions of the 108 quart totes. I think Home Depot only carries the 1819, which is much flimsier than the 1919 (which is the "heavy-duty" version). I have 2 1919's bolted to my roof rack and they're really solid. They also have a channel in the lid, where I glued some weatherstripping to make them waterproof and dustproof.

I also really like the wolfpacks, but for different uses. They're less dust resistant and they're not lockable as-is (unless you buy the bracket too) but I just use them for inexpensive supplies and as a table/wash basin at camp.

Here's my write-up on roof rack storage boxes: https://lowkeyoverland.com/roof-rack-storage-boxes/

d6Fx8dv5ZMQwDggJBAoH3n9S9DO9j8bW3gLzyyi80dx7HcXFwXRkwRlXwxzyhPCMFr91H0t8SCrbyD0HRzfMFk2r_PtGVZ-g9zbknr0R8nWQg7IcYf_jxcTFz8uD0hUq-w8id6MMhyzsB1pbgoq5OhwoohAblFYGowuE1pIJ2000qh9blHuPgVQcyV3aXV9Won8YIK4AtS1HxDXdE4WsC0kn_fQ16TRBOgytxNU_v8tMs5LPZwlISuvD44n_BnsEMmo2HqzzMgvfd7G1PGQuWaH1uC78tA6fHI5XfXWu8Z_tcaBY6WKZOgKbWY86yalo3bYnazthyiIDRpzGnhCZT2W6O-4IAnPFbdaDU_H3H2_RNKKR9Vk41-L1wj93yxuDWGA0eRwpV5tBquix8ZB9gLmyKVUbfM3xXd6E8SBDLTLNuxBYkTMfEmNLxPYIijfCaQVcMLpvU4CI8uXKHHqc_a_2xsKvjBQD_22UDDgn7-NJ7gDFUfgdvx2lLOOnb_UHRzcD82HjUNtAwqc2oK4uxNV69yiK3YkqmirM5iAEQczgJ_hgG0BPpA-THGE3dz_Kx_eaVetf_hNsgfA1WlDJoBS1ABGlQxrfddc9AhZHiegvk2HXVQi3qof4KYJvi4jM1_5v8jSdXDOHZHg9Gune3s0mvmk2WjFT15ljJ3VUrZw_GUeXyyAUkzxEA-vaAx4You6ePOroJix-sdok7VH8OTq8xdk84tz5NYaKHQb_YCqUBX3AhPXmouhW=w1346-h1009-no

krick3tt

Adventurer
Victory_Overland,
I got some containers at Costco, 6 for $19+ and three of them fit in the left side of the FR shelf system quite well and they are transparent so I see what is in them so my failing memory is not taxed. There are also containers available from the container store that are similar. They do not need to be really sturdy as they never leave the pull out drawer.
I only think they are better from a price point and the see through aspect. I also have Cub boxes in the other pull out drawer and two fit well. Also they do not leave the drawer so how sturdy they might be is irrelevant to me. I have a fold up stool for standing to reach things like the propane tank on the roof rack that occasionally doubles s a seat.
I also have a short medical chest (9 inches tall) that I put on the roof rack that I made a cradle for to use on long trips and it is dust/water proof. Got it from a surplus store.

Attachments

• DSC04840.JPG
    DSC04840.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
When using aluminium boxes like the Alu Box or Swiss Link lining the inside with tool box liner or spray bed-liner will keep whatever is inside the box from rubbing the walls of the box and creating aluminium dust that gets over everything.

I'm using this box as a step for my trailer . The box is lined in tool box liner and I made dividers from Coroplast and irrigation staples.

Much cheaper than the TrekPak system. I left the plastic alone but you could cover with tool box liner and spray adhesive.

You can get Cotroplast at The Home Depot and the staples at Lowes.

thumbnail (6).jpgthumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (4).jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Well, if the slats are different spacing the rack would not work. Unless it’s adjustable. I’ll have to check into that.
The Front Runner stuff will fit you might have widen or drill new holes. I just used some Eezi Awn Alu Box mount on my Rhino Rack with just a little drilling.

Liam_FRO

Victory_Overland,
I got some containers at Costco, 6 for $19+ and three of them fit in the left side of the FR shelf system quite well and they are transparent so I see what is in them so my failing memory is not taxed. There are also containers available from the container store that are similar. They do not need to be really sturdy as they never leave the pull out drawer.
I only think they are better from a price point and the see through aspect. I also have Cub boxes in the other pull out drawer and two fit well. Also they do not leave the drawer so how sturdy they might be is irrelevant to me. I have a fold up stool for standing to reach things like the propane tank on the roof rack that occasionally doubles s a seat.
I also have a short medical chest (9 inches tall) that I put on the roof rack that I made a cradle for to use on long trips and it is dust/water proof. Got it from a surplus store.

That setup is sweet! Love seeing people adapt the Front Runner gear to fit their personal needs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles