2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Not interested in one, had one in the family and was glad to see that pos go. used ones are plentiful around me, they don’t seam to hold there value well.

I don't know where you are but 2010 SCAB Raptors with 5.4 still have asking prices of 23k near me. 2015 Lariat Supercab Supercrew for 2 grand more. OOF.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Not interested in one, had one in the family and was glad to see that pos go. used ones are plentiful around me, they don’t seam to hold there value well.

Yet here in Florida they command a premium.

mobob

So what does the Raptor package bring to the table? Better suspension, wheels/tires and the HO 3.5? Anything else?

My only thought is that for something that's going to be a DD and back woods explorer, wouldn't a Lariat package F-150 give you something like 90% of the capability of a Raptor at 1/3 less cost?

Maybe I'm biased by the advertising but I always thought of the Raptor as a toy - a high-speed desert racer out of the box, not really a utilitarian pickup.

Must be my Scottish heritage but I'd find it tough to spend that much $$ for the fatter body panels, improved suspension (which in turn costs you in terms of payload) and that fancy Raptor grille.

Lariat/Platinum package gets you the same multi-mode transfer case as the Raptor (with the 4A setting) and the locker is available in all trim levels AFAIK. Nice thing about the Ford E-locker is that you can use it in 2hi, 4hi or 4lo.

You get a substantially upgraded suspension with longer travel, which is why it’s wider, and linear springs which is why the payload sucks. My Gen1 is very good, durable, and will eat up roads that a power-wagon or standard F150 would be uncomfortable on at speed. The Gen2 with active shocks is truly amazing at its ability to control the truck motion across different terrains and speeds. It’s all about the overall package and how the Raptor starts to really come into its element and perform when the other trucks start push their limits.

Overall the Gen2 is better at everything with a better suspension than the Gen1, with other carryover lessons from the Gen1 early days like HD axles, coatings on the yokes for wear and frame reinforcements, etc. The Raptor does many things well like rock crawling, just not great, and is the best snow vehicle I have ever driven (lookup snoball500). It is also great for long trips because of the comfort factor. The Gen2 weight reduction is a big plus that is overlooked as it turns up the sports car effect and helps payload, where the Gen1 was overweight to start because of the 6.2.

I have a very understanding wife who has supported some nice toys over the years and the Raptor is still the most fun we have had wasting our money. It still brings a smile to my face whenever I drive it, even after 6 years of use. None of my other F150s did that for me after the new factor wore off and relative costs were comparable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

Same here in Iowa. There is always another big farmer's kid wanting to show off his offroading passion with a truck completely not suited for the area ready to snatch up a used one.

Haha... That's awesome.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Same here in Iowa. There is always another big farmer's kid wanting to show off his offroading passion with a truck completely not suited for the area ready to snatch up a used one.
That’s exactly why I wouldn’t touch a used one unless it was ridiculously cheap. I assume the truck has been abused by a flat hat plowing through cornfields at speed.
It’s the same stereotype that keeps me from buying a used Subaru STI, or any tuned diesel truck.

85_Ranger4x4

That’s exactly why I wouldn’t touch a used one unless it was ridiculously cheap. I assume the truck has been abused by a flat hat plowing through cornfields at speed.

No no, doing that gets it dirty and spills beer everywhere...

The ones running around here look like they are cream puffs. Spotless.

CampStewart

Observer
I read all the griping about the low payload and towing numbers and I get that they are derated from standard trucks for reasons to satisfy the feds or engineers but in the real world how do they handle heavy payloads and trailers?

85_Ranger4x4

I read all the griping about the low payload and towing numbers and I get that they are derated from standard trucks for reasons to satisfy the feds or engineers but in the real world how do they handle heavy payloads and trailers?

They are derated because their suspension is made for offroading, not payload/towing.

Power Wagons suffer from the same thing. Suffer is a two way street though, better offroad vs better towing/hauling.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
No no, doing that gets it dirty and spills beer everywhere...

The ones running around here look like they are cream puffs. Spotless.

That seems the case around here too.

What really boggles my mind is the local Lithia Ford has a $5,000 mark up on every Raptor. Who the hell pays a $5,000 markup on a vehicle???

phsycle

Adventurer
My door sticker on my Tundra is right at 1500 but when they did the refresh in 14' they lost some payload. My buddy has a 16' of my truck and it's door sticker is only 1270lbs. It's important to look at the door sticker and not Google for payload.

Yeah, I always check the door jamb. Never seen one above 1200. But pretty much all were crewmax. Even an SR5 I was looking at buying a couple years ago was right at 1,200.

SoTxAg06

That seems the case around here too.

What really boggles my mind is the local Lithia Ford has a $5,000 mark up on every Raptor. Who the hell pays a $5,000 markup on a vehicle???

They do that here also. I strongly considered ordering a basic packaged raptor for a work truck. Everything on the lot was fully optioned with the $5-10K markup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b9ev

Adventurer
My wife has a 2018 Raptor, it is the best stock vehicle to drive over rough terrain, it does better than any half ton I am aware of at technical off roading, the 4A setting is great on snowpack and ice with pavement patches in between, and it holds a lot of soccer mom gear in the bed under the ARE CX Revo on it. It is quick, has decent brakes, tows a 6x12 uhaul enclosed trailer with little drama, and has all the modern features of a luxury car. When the warranty is out, she will get another one. For us, a family of 4 and soon to be 5, it is the perfect soccer mom car.

Attachments

• wifestruckmoab.jpg
    wifestruckmoab.jpg
    914.2 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles