2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So what does the Raptor package bring to the table? Better suspension, wheels/tires and the HO 3.5? Anything else?

My only thought is that for something that's going to be a DD and back woods explorer, wouldn't a Lariat package F-150 give you something like 90% of the capability of a Raptor at 1/3 less cost?

Maybe I'm biased by the advertising but I always thought of the Raptor as a toy - a high-speed desert racer out of the box, not really a utilitarian pickup. ?‍♀️

Must be my Scottish heritage but I'd find it tough to spend that much $$ for the fatter body panels, improved suspension (which in turn costs you in terms of payload) and that fancy Raptor grille.

Lariat/Platinum package gets you the same multi-mode transfer case as the Raptor (with the 4A setting) and the locker is available in all trim levels AFAIK. Nice thing about the Ford E-locker is that you can use it in 2hi, 4hi or 4lo.

D

Deleted member 9101

So what does the Raptor package bring to the table? Better suspension, wheels/tires and the HO 3.5? Anything else?

My only thought is that for something that's going to be a DD and back woods explorer, wouldn't a Lariat package F-150 give you something like 90% of the capability of a Raptor at 1/3 less cost?

Maybe I'm biased by the advertising but I always thought of the Raptor as a toy - a high-speed desert racer out of the box, not really a utilitarian pickup. ?‍♀️

Must be my Scottish heritage but I'd find it tough to spend that much $$ for the fatter body panels, improved suspension (which in turn costs you in terms of payload) and that fancy Raptor grille.

Lariat/Platinum package gets you the same multi-mode transfer case as the Raptor (with the 4A setting) and the locker is available in all trim levels AFAIK. Nice thing about the Ford E-locker is that you can use it in 2hi, 4hi or 4lo.

Actually there is not a big proce difference between a Raptor and the Lariat.

The Raptor has a different frame and rear axle as well, not that they really make a difference.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wouldn't the difference be that the Raptor, being a highly-in-demand and limited edition package, is more likely to sell for something close to MSRP where the non-Raptor is likely to be heavily discounted?

True, but the "bottom of the line" Raptor is "only" 53,000 and doesn't depreciate anywhere nearly as fast as the other F150 variants. My brothers Limited cost more than a Raptor...lol.

HayStax

@Martinjmpr - What do you use your F150 for? What trim? Are you happy with it?

I bought the Raptor specifically for ********************** down desert roads on my way to mountain hunting and hiking in Nevada. It’s a bonus that it hauls ass on freeways too. Handles ice and snow better than anything else I’ve ever driven, and the wife’s Q7 is damn good at that. If I need to tow, I don’t fool around with a 1/2 ton gasser. That’s what diesels and goosenecks are for, better yet Peterbilts.

I shopped for 6 months and crunched the numbers as many ways as possible. Ford can build a Raptor cheaper than an individual can match one. That is a fact. End of story. It will also hold value better than any other truck for sale today.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ford can build a Raptor cheaper than an individual can match one. That is a fact. End of story. It will also hold value better than any other truck for sale today.

It also has a warranty and a 5 star safety rating combined with OEM reliability and the ability to easily get parts all over North America.

HayStax

It also has a warranty and a 5 star safety rating combined with OEM reliability and the ability to easily get parts all over North America.
It was a weird feeling trying to jump a truck with a factory warranty and not worrying much about how I was gonna explain it if I needed to take it in to the shop. I imagine it’s the same for the Hellcat or Camaro ZL1 owners, what a great time we’re living in!

HayStax

I only chime in on these threads because I feel I can offer some real world experience for potential buyers. Not once has the OP actually followed up and bought a Raptor. Last time some clown bought a G Wagon!

Then we’re back to the same routine of arguing with strangers about why we’re all not driving covered wagons and how rubber tires are really unnecessary for most everything a normal ”Overlander” needs or whether the Donner Party would have made it had they only heeded the GVWR on factory sticker...

Happy New year everyone!

Explorerinil

Observer
@Martinjmpr - What do you use your F150 for? What trim? Are you happy with it?

I bought the Raptor specifically for ********************** down desert roads on my way to mountain hunting and hiking in Nevada. It’s a bonus that it hauls ass on freeways too. Handles ice and snow better than anything else I’ve ever driven, and the wife’s Q7 is damn good at that. If I need to tow, I don’t fool around with a 1/2 ton gasser. That’s what diesels and goosenecks are for, better yet Peterbilts.

I shopped for 6 months and crunched the numbers as many ways as possible. Ford can build a Raptor cheaper than an individual can match one. That is a fact. End of story. It will also hold value better than any other truck for sale today.
Be careful on saying the raptor will hold its value over any other truck... that is simply not true at all.

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.

I guess it just comes down to priorities. I wouldn't even consider getting a Lariat trimmed F150. People see any F150 whether its an XL or Lariat as an F150, but a Raptor is a Raptor. I can do just as much truck stuff with my Raptor as I could with any other F150 but its the truck that I wanted. If I had to haul ******** around all day every day I would have bought something that better fits my needs. If I needed something I was going to beat on as a work truck I would have bought an XL. I use the bed whenever I need for sod, dirt or whatever I happen to need it for.

It really is more than body panels. Its the warranty. Its the VIN. A 2014 F150 XLT with a King shocks and a body kit will never garner the money in resale that Raptor could. Also if I were to buy an F150 I would never change it to that god forsaken DOOD grille lol!

But I'll go back to the biggest factors: What you want, what you'll actually use it for and what you can afford. Everyone in here is in different stages of their lives with different needs, tastes and situations.

bBrM4WH.png

Be careful on saying the raptor will hold its value over any other truck... that is simply not true at all.

Find me a 2014 F150 that gets a dealership trade in offer of 71 percent MSRP in 2019 with 56k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke