New Carbon Fiber EarthRoamer

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Carbon fiber with the right resin is pretty fire resistant. Same for fiberglass. The foam used to insulate these campers is by far the most flammable material used in bulk.

gregmchugh

Observer
That is truly funny, [i apologize for the Total Composite questioning on this Earthroamer LTi thread and in the spirit of getting back on track] I hope the LTi Earthroamers will not have issues like this rear axle that caught fire and the whole wheel nearly coming off on the road in Costa Rica:
Thankfully, no one hurt but looks like the truck (damn, looks like it was a brand new one) has been sitting for a couple of weeks getting fixed, hopefully they get back to their trip quickly. Anyone know if carbon fiber is better in a vehicle fire than fiberglass?

I have always wondered with the EarthRoamers typically running near the GVWR of the F-550 chassis if they are prone to mechanical failures which you wouldn’t see normally. Our Kenworth K-370 is a 33,000 lb GVWR chassis and we are no more than 28,000 lb (probably closer to 27,000 lb) so we are not very close to GVWR.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Repeating my ? about Total Composites: still curious about the windows as I am looking to replace and wondering if your Chinese manufacturing is top notch vs something made in the West. Your website provides some info but not too comprehensive for a potential buyer, likely I am looking in the wrong place. In my experience, finding something reliable and durable made in China can be problematic. I've looked into your website more, is the Planar heater a licensed Espar product? It appears to be identical. Thanks for any info.

I'm trying to keep my answer short to avoid getting this thread too far off topic...
We are sourcing our components VERY carefully. It doesn't matter where they are made... There is alway the one that is fantastic and others or pure crap. So far we have bought the first batch of potential new products at full retail. After that we test and evaluate before we decide to offer them to our customers. Quality and customer service is very very important to us and therefore we are making sure to only offer products that won't create headaches with warranty or repairs. Best if you avoid that in the first place and only offer top notch items. In other words: Arctic Tern windows and doors are the best in this segment.
The Planar heaters are NOT a copy of Webasto, Espar or others... These heaters are 100% designed and manufactured in Russia with incredible quality control in place. Not to mistaken with the Chinese knock offs that claim to be one of the famous brands. The planar are constructed for harsh conditions and with countless of sold units through us, we can tell you that 99% of them have performed without issues.
In any case, we know all of suppliers personally and we are standing behind our products. Cheers

Last edited:

lucilius

I have always wondered with the EarthRoamers typically running near the GVWR of the F-550 chassis if they are prone to mechanical failures which you wouldn’t see normally. Our Kenworth K-370 is a 33,000 lb GVWR chassis and we are no more than 28,000 lb (probably closer to 27,000 lb) so we are not very close to GVWR.
Good point. I wonder how much the Great White Roamer weighed when it broke down. Older XVLT crew cab F550 ER's were around 10-11000# or so on the rear axle, 5-6000# on the front, which are well within the limits of those axles, I think GVWR is above 19k. The newer ones, there are some lengthened editions a few? feet longer as well, might be heavier. Some have said the Lti's will be lighter but I haven't seen if they've weighed a complete one full of water, fuel, passengers and some gear so we can wait and see. Earthroamer has been around a while and doesn't seem to be the type of company to pull the fast one in their business. They have a formal relationship with Ford, all the Ford parts like chassis and motor are Ford warranty. I doubt they are doing anything weight- or design-wise Ford didn't think would work. Also, some people will add storage, racks, carry motorcycles, tow trailers and the like. I am curious if GVWR is an absolute number, or takes into account some sort of range of weight the vehicle might be carrying and includes off-road driving, changes in tire sizes or suspension. Maybe it is just "all bets are off once you customize the vehicle and don't exceed this weight on a good highway".

Darwin

Explorer
Good point. I wonder how much the Great White Roamer weighed when it broke down. Older XVLT crew cab F550 ER's were around 10-11000# or so on the rear axle, 5-6000# on the front, which are well within the limits of those axles, I think GVWR is above 19k. The newer ones, there are some lengthened editions a few? feet longer as well, might be heavier. Some have said the Lti's will be lighter but I haven't seen if they've weighed a complete one full of water, fuel, passengers and some gear so we can wait and see. Earthroamer has been around a while and doesn't seem to be the type of company to pull the fast one in their business. They have a formal relationship with Ford, all the Ford parts like chassis and motor are Ford warranty. I doubt they are doing anything weight- or design-wise Ford didn't think would work. Also, some people will add storage, racks, carry motorcycles, tow trailers and the like. I am curious if GVWR is an absolute number, or takes into account some sort of range of weight the vehicle might be carrying and includes off-road driving, changes in tire sizes or suspension. Maybe it is just "all bets are off once you customize the vehicle and don't exceed this weight on a good highway".
One issue I see with ER and the one that broke down in Costa Rica is the fact that the Ford f 550 is designed with dual rear tires. Having the singles in the back spaced far outside axle might possibly contribute to extra wear and tear on the rear axle and associated components.

Joe917

Explorer
One issue I see with ER and the one that broke down in Costa Rica is the fact that the Ford f 550 is designed with dual rear tires. Having the singles in the back spaced far outside axle might possibly contribute to extra wear and tear on the rear axle and associated components.
Possibly an issue, definitely more likely as you reach or exceed GVW. It is better to get a single wheel rear axle and avoid having to flip wheels. I don't think that is an option from Ford in that capacity
.IMG_4732 - Copy.jpg
Our 9400 kg single wheel rear axle .

gregmchugh

Observer
Possibly an issue, definitely more likely as you reach or exceed GVW. It is better to get a single wheel rear axle and avoid having to flip wheels. I don't think that is an option from Ford in that capacity
.View attachment 557180
Our 9400 kg single wheel rear axle .

EarthCruiser solved the problem by replacing the rear axle for the 4wd conversion on the 2020 gasoline Fuso. No more reversed wheels, same track on front and rear axles.

Zybane

SiZe will become more and more a real consideration for many buyer's in the Overland, RV and Outfitter markets. The fat 55+ and up crowd (Boomer's) want size and comfort as that's what everything in their lives has revolved around and they can afford it. Since they have all the money the bigger the better! The younger crowd who will spend money much quicker with little thought or consideration when compared to the "Boomer's" are all about things smaller with better design and loaded with technology.

The RV industry certainly has taken note of the fact as the towable's market offerings overall has gone SMALLER in size to meet the demands of the younger buyer. The smaller towable RV market was the segment with the largest increases during 2016-2018 and the also largest segment with the least amount of sales loss in 2019. If you think that will change I suggest you will be sadly mistaken!

With younger people all about the outdoors and outdoor activity the younger folks are the market segment you as a purveyor of products in the RV, Outfitter and Overland market want to be selling and marketing to. All you had to do was look at the vast majority attendees and vendors at the Overland Presentations at SEMA. Look at the ages of the audience and what did ya see? Young and younger with the Hosts being the old folks.

The Earthcruiser EXP from Oregon that was shown at SEMA was as large as anyone really needs to be comfortable and travel. Standing around listening to those people who looked at it tells the tale. The old folks said it was neat however way to small the travel in. The young folks comments I heard were FINALLY someone was building a high end, very capable and expensive unit that's the right size or could maybe even be just a little bit smaller!

What "young" folks are buying $400K Earthcruisers?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I think its short sighted to claim that everyone who is young and can afford EarthRoamer is an undeserving "trust fund" person. There are many self made independently wealthy sub 50 people out there.

Of course it depends on what your definition of young is. Some I have met claim you are young until you have grandchildren. Personally I think anyone over 35 is middle aged, and thus not "young".

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I think its short sighted to claim that everyone who is young and can afford EarthRoamer is an undeserving "trust fund" person. There are many self made independently wealthy sub 50 people out there.

Of course it depends on what your definition of young is. Some I have met claim you are young until you have grandchildren. Personally I think anyone over 35 is middle aged, and thus not "young".

Of course.. comment was 50% in jest..

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd rather have an Acela and a Total Composites box. Not going to go 55mph on the TAT anyways. There's even 6x6 AWD versions, so camper weight is a non issue.

21150113_506849319658223_8549902337103326983_n.jpg

IMG_4605__17243.1557323846.jpg

$25k. Decent used freight boxes are only $3k.

How do you get the cab off of an Earthroamer?
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles