Rivan - Tank Turn

krick3tt

Adventurer
My issue isn't the electric vehicle itself but getting it charged in the middle of nowhere when there is no charging station, it then becomes a 5000 pound paperweight.

D

Deleted member 9101

My issue isn't the electric vehicle itself but getting it charged in the middle of nowhere when there is no charging station, it then becomes a 5000 pound paperweight.

Annnnd that's any different than a gas motor???? Last time I looked, internal combustion engines require fuel and they don't carry enough to drive indefinitely.

Also... Very few people take their trucks to the "middle of no where" these days.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Perhaps, but I can carry extra gas but not extra electricity. I have been to the middle of nowhere and I got back on petrol, one of the few.
Also it is not a motor it is an engine, look up the difference.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Perhaps, but I can carry extra gas but not extra electricity. I have been to the middle of nowhere and I got back on petrol, one of the few.
But it is called an "outboard motor" even if petrol. It is also called a "motor boat" or a "motor vehicle", even if they are not electric. And "motorised"/"motorized" bicycle can be both petrol and electric (and diesel or propane or whatever).

Also, in Danish (and I suspect other Scandiwegian countries), we don't even have the word "engine" other than a vestige in "engineer" (ingeniør) etc.. We differentiate by saying "dieselmotor", "benzinmotor" (petrol engine), and "elektrisk motor" (obviously "electric motor").

What about the difference engine made by Babbage? It's a mechanical calculator. "Engine"?

Anyway when something is providing motive power to a vehicle/vessel (plane), it would not be completely wrong to call that a "motor", regardless of fuel source or technology (even rockets).

It is not actually as clear cut as you make it out to be.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
In regards to the Extra Gas vs Extra Electricity, what about solar panels. For the cost many spend on Aux Tanks and/or Jerry Cans, several hundred watts in a foldable form and upwards to a thousand watts if you go with semi flexible panels could be procured.

Yes, you may have to wait a day to move 15 miles, but the point is you could do that for as long as you had water/food. The CyberTruck can be purchased with enough solar to get you 40 miles a day. There will be days you get less mileage, but you'll never officially run out of fuel. Instead of carrying extra weight in Gasoline, just carry more water/food.

As much as the above sounds doable, I still plan on buying a petrol/diesel JT though.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
At the EPA rated 3 miles per KW rating for the Tesla Model 3, a 100W panel will give you 1.5 miles per full sun day.

At the EPA rated 3 miles per KW rating for the Tesla Model 3, a 100W panel will give you 1.5 miles per full sun day.

400w panels are closer to industry standard at the moment, and heaven knows how rare a 110V outlet is these days way more rare than a gas pump which run on... oh wait.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
400w panels are closer to industry standard at the moment, and heaven knows how rare a 110V outlet is these days way more rare than a gas pump which run on... oh wait.
A given watttage panel only gives that much if pointed exactly perpendicular to the sun and if it doesn't get hot (the panel). So, even if you had a 400 panel on that thing, it still would only give you a little more than the 100W example. And considering the Cybertruck is huge and super heavy, I'd say you'd be lucky to get even a single mile from a day's sun - even with a 400 watt panel (it is down the back at a fixed angle).

D

Deleted member 9101

Actually... You can quite easily carry extra electricity.

As I said before, you will eventually run out of petrol.

Lastly...I could not care less about the nuanced difference between using the word "motor" and "engine" whilst conversing with some random clown on the internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online