Lexus GX 460 & 470 owner's thread

GreenbowCounty

Apologies if this has been mentioned in this thread previously, all searches mentioned older models. Has anyone gone from a newer (2016ish+) 4runner to a newer (with ACC/safety features) GX460? I'm in a 2018 4runner that I haven't loved for most of ownership and am looking to sell it off soon. The Lexus is one of the contender vehicles (won't mention the others as I don't want to start a vs). Desires are more comfortable ride, nicer interior, more power for highway driving, good offroad capability (nothing too crazy though). Is the Lexus too similar to my 4runner? Will I regret the switch? Any opinions welcome

Get the 460. You can make it more capable and if you are looking to do some mods I'd say get a 10-13 Premium and build it. I love the 4Runner but you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting one...

Plus the luxury features of the GX can never be matched by a 4Runner. I've got a Premium with all the bells and whistles and I can't tell you how much I love a heated steering wheel here in Wisconsin. In any case good luck with your choice.

Sacmaster

Biggest two are how loud it is on the inside (wind noise) and the poor power is the biggest one. Mountain driving means constant gear hunting and going 70+ on the interstate (especially when at elevation) means 3rd gear and the car screaming at 45K rpm for prolonged periods of time, really wears one out

I had a 2012 4Runner Limited and had the same gripes. Recently traded just about even for a 13 460. Love the Lexus. Power is much smoother, interior is much more comfortable and much quieter. I actually get a little bit better mileage as well. I also think the outward visibility is much better with the Lexus.

cactusjk

Explorer
Toyota sound insulation is non-existent. Lexus is hands down a better vehicle. I have an 07 GX 470, a 2018 Highlander and 07 FJ.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I note the 460 is 4" longer than the 470. Does this translate into the interior so that a tall guy can (more comfortably) sleep inside?

eloist

Adventurer
New shoes.
e9d9968eb0378bb5dae1d2ade61229fb.jpg
4930795b5c911614933436a7a18f9a6d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

leeleatherwood

I had a 2012 4Runner Limited and had the same gripes. Recently traded just about even for a 13 460. Love the Lexus. Power is much smoother, interior is much more comfortable and much quieter. I actually get a little bit better mileage as well. I also think the outward visibility is much better with the Lexus.

LOL, what a time to be alive. You traded a vehicle for a clearly superior one straight across.

This just goes to show how much the Toyota badge is "worth".

rpearce1475

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I test drove a 2016 GX460 (premium I think?) and definitely agree with all the above comments. Interior was so much better than the 4Runner, was quieter, better and smoother power. Unfortunately I had to eliminate it from contention as the rear cargo area, due to the high load in floor, did not have enough height for me to load my mountain bikes standing up (which I can do in the 4runner). I definitely plan on telling people interested in 4Runners to check out the GX instead, really can't think of a good reason to go with a 4Runner over it at this time.

JLee

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I test drove a 2016 GX460 (premium I think?) and definitely agree with all the above comments. Interior was so much better than the 4Runner, was quieter, better and smoother power. Unfortunately I had to eliminate it from contention as the rear cargo area, due to the high load in floor, did not have enough height for me to load my mountain bikes standing up (which I can do in the 4runner). I definitely plan on telling people interested in 4Runners to check out the GX instead, really can't think of a good reason to go with a 4Runner over it at this time.
Have you looked at GX470's? The 3rd row folds up against the sides and is easily removable - you may have more height to work with there.

rpearce1475

Funny you should mention it, I was actually able to fiddle with one that belongs to a buddy at work, it was better but still tight. Also one of my requirements in this vehicle is it has modern safety features (blind spot monitoring, cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, etc). I'd still take a 470 over a modern 4runner if given the choice though.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I note the 460 is 4" longer than the 470. Does this translate into the interior so that a tall guy can (more comfortably) sleep inside?

Unfortunately it does not. I recently made the switch from a 2018 TRD Pro to a 2019 GX460 Premium and one of my very few gripes is that the GX doesn't sleep as well as the 5th Gen. The deck height is higher thanks mostly to the third row design and the second row doesn't fold flat like it did in the 4Runner. This is a major bummer as I enjoyed sleeping inside of the 4Runner and as far as I am aware there isn't anyone making a commercially available sleep platform for it. Goose-Gear offers a rear cargo plate for it that requires you to completely remove the third row seats, carpet and padding. This then leaves you with an even taller gap from the cargo area to the second row but it will then allow you to make a deck that matches the height or use drawers that can match that height as well. It's definitely more work and not as ideal as the 5th Gen in this regard.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Thanks. Assuming you make a platform, is there more room between the back door and the front seats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles