2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.0L EcoDiesel

MOguy

Explorer
and? Does every one no. Does the large majority, no.
Most people I know who have Jeeps with coil sprung axles have. 2 guys at work have newer 3/4 dodges and one 3/4 ton Ford. All have shimmies on the way to work if the drive over the same bumps on the same bridge on the way to work and all have had DW. The 2 with the 3/4 ton GMs with IFS have not. Nobody with 1/2 tons has them, I have never had them in my 79 K30. The conversation comes up often at work.

T-Willy

Well equipped how? You can get a sport diesel for under 40K that comes with the Diesel engine, heavy duty 8 speed automatic upgrade ( 8HP75 ), and front and rear Dana 44 axles.

If you want fluffy stuff like a fancy stereo or heated seats, I guess the price could creep up on you.

The Sport Diesel package is the deal of the century in my opinion. You really don't need the 4:1 transfer case with the 8spd automatic, especially with the diesel. It's like getting most of the good stuff from the Rubicon package ( plus diesel ) for half price. Adding lockers would be easy in the aftermarket. Heck, I saw an OEM replacement electric locker for the JL series going for $675 new the other day.

I agree--the sport diesel is remarkable value. I love how down-specd it is. The fewer fancy electro-bits the better. Not paying for them, even moreso.

Simple, sturdy, capable, efficient, great range, steelies, roll windows and under 40K. Add tall skinnies, locker(s) and an Ursa Minor pop-top and you're still in for less--perhaps far less--than an up-specd Rubicon.

Well done, Jeep. (This from a 27-yr original Land Cruiser owner).

pittsburgh

tacocat
I agree--the sport diesel is remarkable value. I love how down-specd it is. The fewer fancy electro-bits the better. Not paying for them, even moreso.

Simple, sturdy, capable, efficient, great range, steelies, roll windows and under 40K. Add tall skinnies, locker(s) and an Ursa Minor pop-top and you're still in for less--perhaps far less--than an up-specd Rubicon.

Just over $40k with a hardtop. Not too shabby, but I would like to know if I can add a factory rear locker.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Most people I know who have Jeeps with coil sprung axles have. 2 guys at work have newer 3/4 dodges and one 3/4 ton Ford. All have shimmies on the way to work if the drive over the same bumps on the same bridge on the way to work and all have had DW. The 2 with the 3/4 ton GMs with IFS have not. Nobody with 1/2 tons has them, I have never had them in my 79 K30. The conversation comes up often at work.

That's nice. You should talk about how to fix it at work instead of droning on and on about it.
If the problem comes up, fix it. This isn't rocket science.
There are MILLIONS of vehicles on the road with coil springs and beam axles that don't have issues. My own vehicles included.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just over $40k with a hardtop. Not too shabby, but I would like to know if I can add a factory rear locker.

From what I have seen with the JL housing, yes. You could install a factory E-locker in the housing. If you wanted the factory wiring plug connection passing through the housing you would have to pull the housing out for modification, if you just want to pass the wires like any normal E-locker install it could be done in the vehicle ( drill a hole, rubber plug, silicone sealant ).

The factory E-lockers are available in the aftermarket already.....and the price isn't even that bad.

This one is listed as the front ( but I think they are the same part number )

GB_Willys_2014

Hahaha

I have similar ideas, well dreams, but you know ... I would go TrueTracs but similar enough.

Sport-diesel could be a sleeper ... if the reliability is reasonable.

T-Willy

Hahaha

I have similar ideas, well dreams, but you know ... I would go TrueTracs but similar enough.

I wish it had more payload. And, honestly, the reliability question gives me pause (my 27 yr old LC is still dead reliable). Time will tell on reliability. Regardless, what a great offering from Jeep.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Hahaha

Sadly, the development of aftermarket differentials for the AdvanTEK axles has been slow.
I haven't seen any limited slips offered yet other than the factory Trash-Lok style diff.

MOguy

Explorer
That's nice. You should talk about how to fix it at work instead of droning on and on about it.
If the problem comes up, fix it. This isn't rocket science.
There are MILLIONS of vehicles on the road with coil springs and beam axles that don't have issues. My own vehicles included.

Seems aftermarket double steering stabilizer is helping with the guys at work with the Dodges.

The guy with the Ford, who has taken it back to them multiple times, is also working on a solution. He now working with the attorney and going after the Lemon Law.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Very, very interesting. It's actually not as high as the export JL with a 2.2 L diesel, though I'll bet the Australian ones are testing using a different methodology so it's not apples to apples.

I can't wait until people start getting the 3.0 Wrangler and put 35s and some weight on it to see what that does to mileage. If it can hold 25 highway, that's a game changer for me.

-Dan

Last edited:

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Tow rating is ALWAYS dictated by payload rating. 15 - 20% or trailer weight must be on tow ball. With a 1200-1500 payload it doesn’t leave much for hitch weight once you load passengers and gear into the tow vehicle. Doesn’t matter how much torque or HP the engine has. This is where most smaller diesel vehicles fall short.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Tow rating is ALWAYS dictated by payload rating. 15 - 20% or trailer weight must be on tow ball. With a 1200-1500 payload it doesn’t leave much for hitch weight once you load passengers and gear into the tow vehicle. Doesn’t matter how much torque or HP the engine has. This is where most smaller diesel vehicles fall short.

I do think there is a lot more going on with .gov 'rules' effecting how smaller vehicles are getting rated for payload ( and towing ). It would be nice to see smaller vehicles being built with more margin, but I just don't think we are going to get an 'offical' blessing on that from the OEMs.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I do think there is a lot more going on with .gov 'rules' effecting how smaller vehicles are getting rated for payload ( and towing ). It would be nice to see smaller vehicles being built with more margin, but I just don't think we are going to get an 'offical' blessing on that from the OEMs.

For smaller vehicles to be able to tow heavier trailers, it would take sophisticated active suspensions. If they were set up to handle 1000-1500 pounds of hitch weight, they would be nearly uncontrollable when not towing. For the vehicle to "ride nice" and hold the road when not towing,they need supple suspensions ....... supple suspensions do not lend themselves to high hitch weights. Not to mention what a short wheelbase does to towing handling.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles