Opinions Solicited......Another Head Scratching Mid Size Truck Choice Thread

GB_Willys_2014

If you are not looking for a new rig I don’t think you can go wrong with a low mileage first gen Tundra, if you can find one. Relatively low cost, super reliable, minimally bigger than the current Tacomas but significantly more comfortable (and capable) in my opinion.
Just be aware of rust. Rust is the death of these otherwise great vehicles.

Ask me how I know.

Sigh.

GB_Willys_2014

Bro....that’s not a QC issue. Friend had a door latch freeze issue on his f150. THAT is a QC issue. Not having to push down a rubber grommet!! :) Glad you got your truck. I’d like to try out that suspension some day. Heard it was amazing.
QC, or lack thereof, plagues them all.

My JKU came from the factory with under-torqued front suspension components.

Went back to the dealer for what was basically a simple fix, but certainly should not have happened.

spectre6000

Observer
I totally agree. A rubber grommet needing to be pushed down is a tater tot in the pile of potatoes. I disassembled the DSR wheel well down to the filler necks and the back side of said grommet this afternoon once I had some time, warmth, and daylight, and cleaned it all up really well. There was a banana involved in that job, and a fair amount of crystallized urea hiding in there. I liked what I saw in terms of how it's put together though. There were a few of those plastic push rivet things, but for the most part it was torx screws (torx > phillips) and hex bolts, all with captive washers, and plenty of them. There was even a plate between the wheel well liner and the filler necks, and that was decently thick steel with many more fasteners than I can figure out justification for. Zero complaints on that side.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I totally agree. A rubber grommet needing to be pushed down is a tater tot in the pile of potatoes. I disassembled the DSR wheel well down to the filler necks and the back side of said grommet this afternoon once I had some time, warmth, and daylight, and cleaned it all up really well. There was a banana involved in that job, and a fair amount of crystallized urea hiding in there. I liked what I saw in terms of how it's put together though. There were a few of those plastic push rivet things, but for the most part it was torx screws (torx > phillips) and hex bolts, all with captive washers, and plenty of them. There was even a plate between the wheel well liner and the filler necks, and that was decently thick steel with many more fasteners than I can figure out justification for. Zero complaints on that side.

I’m sorry but since this thread has wandered a bit off track, I’m rather lost at this point.....what truck/problem are you referring to here please?

Thx.

CJREX

Has the OP made a decision yet?

I recently fielded this same dilemma and ended up with an FX4 Ranger in my driveway.

Recent experience:

A bit over a year ago I bought a completely loaded brand new 2018 Nissan Pro4X crew cab.

Here's a photo of it in its natural habitat.

31978787958_a575497526_b.jpg

Note it still has the dealer plates as this was 2 weeks into ownership.

I spent more time in the dealer service area with that truck in 5 months than with my Mitsubishi in 16 years.

Between waiting over 2 months to get parts for a brand new truck, the Rockford Fosgate head unit constantly rebooting despite 2 software updates (and even when it worked the voice recognition was like talking to my near deaf uncle), the absolutely miserable gas mileage, and an electrical gremlin that left me afraid to park it in my garage for fear of it catching on fire, I traded it after 6 months and less than 5k miles.

Nissan nor the dealer were any help at all.

Needless to say, Nissan was NOT on my list this time around nor shall ANY Nissan EVER be on my shopping list again.

Oh, almost forgot, try turning the Frontier in a parking lot. Get used to 3 point turns. They have the turning radius of an aircraft carrier. Didn't really notice this on the test drive but sure noticed it first time trying to park in a tight space. Kinda a bummer when off road.

Whew. Nissan rant over (at least until something brings up the memories of it again)

So my recent choices were the Colorado ZR2, the Tacoma TRD OR, and the Ranger FX4 (I wanted a rear locker).

2019 Colorado ZR2:

Overall not bad though I wasn't keen on the interior.

V6/8speed auto combo were peppy and it handled/rode nice.

Overall it just didn't "grab" me enough to buy it.

2019 Tacoma TRD OR:

Looking on Tacoma World you would think that truck is nothing short of the Chariot Of The Gods and rolling perfection.

Apparently they come with a free pitcher of Kool Aid and the one I drove had lost it at some point.

Try as I might I could not find a comfortable seating position. It felt like I was sitting on the floor with my legs straight out.

The V6/6 speed auto was not a happy combination with the transmission being more indecisive about what gear it wants to be in than my wife in picking a restaurant.

The engine is very gutless at low rpm and you have to rev the whee out of it to get any power.

Pluses are that it has a very nice storage system under and behind the rear seat, an expansive aftermarket, and very good resale (though the 3rd gen has somewhat slipped in that area)

2019 Ranger FX4:

Obviously this is the one that ticked the boxes for me since it's the one I brought home. Huge end of year discounts made it even better.

EcoBoost engine + 10 spd auto: I only have 500 miles on it so far but all I can say is Wow.

Great response, great mpg (averaging around 22), great power, great visibility, and Sync actually understands my voice commands every time so far.

The ride is indeed a bit soft so I will likely replace the shocks with something firmer.

The rear locker can be activated in ANY mode up to 20mph. 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo no problem. The Tacoma must be in 4Lo to use the locker.

I love the interior layout.

Remote start is nice and the FordPass app was absolutely terrific on my recent business trip.

As soon as the off-airport parking bus left the terminal I started my truck with the FordPass app.

When I got to the truck a few minutes later the windows were cleared of frost, the seat heaters were on, and the interior was at a nice and comfortable 70 degrees.

Since I have to occasionally fly I am now thoroughly spoiled by this feature.

I know I only have a short time with this truck but it is light years better than the Tacoma, at least to me anyway.

The only real competitor would be the ZR2 and my personal thoughts are that it would driver preference (if the ZR2 transmission issues are indeed resolved).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
CJRex, re your “Has the OP made a decision yet?”

I’m still leaning most heavily towards the Ranger....but the idiotic brain freeze I keep getting is the constant, stupidly distracting seduction that something a little bit better is hiding just right around the next corner.

So, here I go again on this fool’s errand...I’m now trying to find some more credible information on the possibility of the Bronco/Raptor mid sized truck actually coming out next year or in 2021.

If the rumor of that rig turns out to be true and that there’ll be this new addition to the Blue Oval truck lineup, then this proposed mid sized tough guy, overlander could very well be worth waiting for! I probably can afford to wait one more summer before ordering a new truck, but that delay also pushes off ordering a new pop up shell.

Ultimately though, it may turn out to be a sucker’s game for me to further delay my decision just based on more hope than reality. As one of you guys wisely said in a different thread....if you’re not careful, you can easily “what if” yourself into a corner.

“lt Might Spawn a Pickup Truck”BA49CD7D-CC60-4F0D-B45E-1E5E1CD66D12.png

Last edited:

CJREX

I knew that a new Ranger was coming soon but I went ahead and got this one due to the big discounts available on the 2019 models right now.

This truck is already better than anything else I drove and with almost $12k off sticker it was a better bargain to boot.

Will the new Ranger be better?

Probably.

Will it change my opinion of this one?

Probably not.

Dalko43

Explorer
None of the gasoline engines being offered in the midsized segment are anything to write home about.

The v6’s being offered in the Colorado, Tacoma and Gladiator/Wrangler prioritize hp over torque and thus lead to a rev-happy driving experience...not really conducive to off-roading or carrying payload.

Ranger’s eco boost offers decent torque, though the supposed mpg advantage seems to go away when actually need to use that torque. The truck itself has been dinged for a somewhat cheap interior and a ride/suspension that is biased toward inroad use instead of off-road use.

If you want torque, get the ranger. If you want better off-road performance get a Tacoma or Jeep.

I wouldn’t touch the gm product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectre6000

Observer
So, here I go again on this fool’s errand...I’m now trying to find some more credible information on the possibility of the Bronco/Raptor mid sized truck actually coming out next year or in 2021.

If the rumor of that rig turns out to be true and that there’ll be this new addition to the Blue Oval truck lineup, then this proposed mid sized tough guy, overlander could very well be worth waiting for! I probably can afford to wait one more summer before ordering a new truck, but that delay also pushes off ordering a new pop up shell.

Ultimately though, it may turn out to be a sucker’s game for me to further delay my decision just based on more hope than reality. As one of you guys wisely said in a different thread....if you’re not careful, you can easily “what if” yourself into a corner.

If you can wait, the midsized truck wars are just getting started. It was cold until the Colorado came back, but the arrival of the Gladiator has made it red hot. I think the rumors about the Bronco are 100% true at 10K', though some of the details (critically, arrival date) may be fuzzy. If that's likely to be your jam, hold off. Same goes for a new Ranger; they dumped the global market Ranger on the American market as-is because management missed the signs of the looming midsize war (sorta like they missed the legal, reputational, and financial ramification of their awful dual clutch transmission, but I digress). Ditto with the new Colorado. Three years from now, the only existing platform likely to still be on the market is the Gladiator.

That said, you are bordering on Dostoyevsky's acute consciousness problem ("Notes from Underground" for anyone so inclined). You run the risk of being the church mouse hiding under the floor boards never experiencing life. The existence of this thread absolves you of any accusations of "action" per the same, but there's a balance to be struck. There will always be something better just ahead; the grass is always greener, etc.

The balance I found was to realize (independently of any desires for anything on the market or otherwise) that I was in need of a new truck. Due to the financial weight of the decision compared to the relative prioritization of my desire for a ************ truck, divorcing the two is mandatory. Once the one box is checked though, it's playtime for the other. If you need a truck, take stock of what's extant and available. If you only want a truck but don't need it and your circumstances are such that you must make a distinction between relative priorities, it's best to wait. If your circumstances are such that your priorities are reversed, go nuts! Buy whatever you like now, then trade it in for the next exciting thing in a year or two.

Colorado > Ranger :)

nickw

Adventurer
None of the gasoline engines being offered in the midsized segment are anything to write home about.

The v6’s being offered in the Colorado, Tacoma and Gladiator/Wrangler prioritize hp over torque and thus lead to a rev-happy driving experience...not really conducive to off-roading or carrying payload.

Ranger’s eco boost offers decent torque, though the supposed mpg advantage seems to go away when actually need to use that torque. The truck itself has been dinged for a somewhat cheap interior and a ride/suspension that is biased toward inroad use instead of off-road use.

If you want torque, get the ranger. If you want better off-road performance get a Tacoma or Jeep.

I wouldn’t touch the gm product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It actually gets dinged for having a rough and bouncy ride, the competitors have a much smoother ride on the road....which makes sense, since the Ranger has better payload capacity relative to others.

Regarding power and MPG, your right, most gas engines use about the same amount of gas relative to max power.... but the other 95% of the time when your just plinking along is what matters, that's where EB shines. The reality is all trucks will get it done, the EBs just do it with a bit less fuss, especially with the 10 spd....I like the way it drives personally, which is subjective, but many folks agree.

GB_Willys_2014

If you can wait, the midsized truck wars are just getting started. It was cold until the Colorado came back, but the arrival of the Gladiator has made it red hot. I think the rumors about the Bronco are 100% true at 10K', though some of the details (critically, arrival date) may be fuzzy. If that's likely to be your jam, hold off. Same goes for a new Ranger; they dumped the global market Ranger on the American market as-is because management missed the signs of the looming midsize war (sorta like they missed the legal, reputational, and financial ramification of their awful dual clutch transmission, but I digress). Ditto with the new Colorado. Three years from now, the only existing platform likely to still be on the market is the Gladiator.

That said, you are bordering on Dostoyevsky's acute consciousness problem ("Notes from Underground" for anyone so inclined). You run the risk of being the church mouse hiding under the floor boards never experiencing life. The existence of this thread absolves you of any accusations of "action" per the same, but there's a balance to be struck. There will always be something better just ahead; the grass is always greener, etc.

The balance I found was to realize (independently of any desires for anything on the market or otherwise) that I was in need of a new truck. Due to the financial weight of the decision compared to the relative prioritization of my desire for a ************ truck, divorcing the two is mandatory. Once the one box is checked though, it's playtime for the other. If you need a truck, take stock of what's extant and available. If you only want a truck but don't need it and your circumstances are such that you must make a distinction between relative priorities, it's best to wait. If your circumstances are such that your priorities are reversed, go nuts! Buy whatever you like now, then trade it in for the next exciting thing in a year or two.

Sorry for the OT ...

But, Dostoyevsky ... good stuff this reference. Your posts are fun in an uber-nerd-sortaway.

:)

Have you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" yet, or does the Bambino eat up all your free time?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

Very interesting, thoughtful and well written post. Thx mucho for your input.

Finding and reading this post, I felt like a tired wandering old wild boar that had been hungrily, blindly rooting in the wet dirt for sour acorns but instead had discovered a rare, sweet and tasty morel mushroom.

jgallo1

Adventurer

I think the Walter Benjamin approach could also be helpful approach here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles