¿What tire size do you wish existed? But does not.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think it's more to do with tread width, which is narrower than than tire width. The stock LCs come with 225s or 215s, but tread width is probably 7.5ish
I think that's a good point but also think that LCs that have these tall and narrow tires are using 16x5.5" split rims so the side walls don't flair as much.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Cheapest ones I could find, Yokohama Geolanders I think. On old, $20 steel rims. WAY better than any AT/MT.
Better traction, safer winter travel, you SAVE money instead of adding miles to those pricey AT/MT.
Anyone saying they cannot afford winter tires has not looked at the entire picture.

If the Yokohama Geolander's that you are referring to were the "Ice Terrain" model I think they are one of the best winter tires for combined snow and ice conditions that I have used, Unfortunately with their newer "Ice Guard" line they seem to have discontinued some of the larger diameter sizes. Not sure what I am going to go to when the ones I am currently running wear out. I guess that is a few years off as I don't put that many miles on my Jeep in the winter.

toddz69

Explorer
More options in a 35x10.50 ( there is only 3 right now ) , outside the USA there is a lot more to choose from . Really Think if more manufactures made them they would sell like hotcakes. It’s usually the width of a 35 that keeps it from fitting on a rig not the hight .

Besides the Kenda Klever R/T in 35/10.50, what are the other 2 options in that size?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

billiebob

I am thinking we will see these smaller tire sizes come back. The past 15 years have been bigger, wider, heavier and the ride quality has been steadily getting worse and worse. I'm thinking there will be a demand to get tires which will still be off road capable but lighter, skinnier, shorter as consumers like me start shopping for the odd sizes to improve our vehicles performance.

I went from 33x10.50 15s to 7.50R16s and even tho I went from a CLR to a DLR the ride has improved dramatically. Gas mileage, something we rarely track as we get bigger tires every time went from 17mpg with the 33x10.50s to 22mpg with the 7.50R16s. Rolling resistance is so much less that until I got used to them I was having to hammer the brakes at red lights. I cannot say enough about smaller tires and the blind stupidity I suffered from buying bigger every time.

I'm sure we will see a resurgence in smaller, lighter tires. i'm not sure we will ever see a return to 14" wheels tho.

Westy

Adventurer
35x10.5 R16

In a radial tire, load rated D and available in A/T or M/T tread from a good quality tire manufacturer. I know Interco makes this in their SSR tire but that is very very expensive, not practical for an all around use tire.

85_Ranger4x4

I am thinking we will see these smaller tire sizes come back. The past 15 years have been bigger, wider, heavier and the ride quality has been steadily getting worse and worse. I'm thinking there will be a demand to get tires which will still be off road capable but lighter, skinnier, shorter as consumers like me start shopping for the odd sizes to improve our vehicles performance.

Bigger bigger bigger seems to be the trend. OEM's are driving a lot of it.

Attrition is taking out the older rigs that can even fit the smaller tires, they are already pretty niche.

I have always gotten used tires for my Ranger, can't hardly even find a set of 31's anymore... they used to be as common as dirt.

Grassland

Bfg ko2 in 34x10.5-17 is a really a 32.5 tall tire and my falken 255/80-17 just slightly taller.

Jadmt here has done a bang up job with tire size discrepancy. I've read a bunch of his posts on the JKU forum as well regarding how different manufacturers listed sizes dont always work out in reality.
a BFG KO2 34x10.5-17 is actually larger than a 285/70-R17 Ko2, and similar in size to a 255/80R-17 KM2 Ive also seen the "34s" next to a 285/70-17 Cooper winter tire, and the "34" is larger. Some manufacturers run closer to the listed diameter in SOME tire models, others don't. The Ko2s appear to run quite small.
Jadmt can pipe up, but I think it was Toyo tires that ran closer to true.
In my case I wanted a 33x10.5-17 AT tire, so wasn't bothered by the Ko2 running small.

I don't think wheels smaller than 17" are going to be making a come back, especially with brake diameter not likely to get smaller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles