Opinions Solicited......Another Head Scratching Mid Size Truck Choice Thread

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thx mucho, great review of the P’s and C’s. I somehow missed the important gas tank issue.

Some more on the Ranger:

+reviewers seem to really love the drivers seat fit and comfort
-actual owners seem to be having frustrating problems with getting the info screen to pair properly and otherwise work right.
+has maybe best payload
+supposedly better mpgs than all others?
-is a Ford ;)

if looking at the gasser ZR2, then yes the ford has the best mpg , I think .

jgallo1

Adventurer
According to Fuelly data, the Ranger averages 20.2mpg, vs ~18.5 for the GM or Toyota V6. The GM diesel is ~23mpg though.

it would be interesting to see the mpg on the rangers with suspension, winch capable bumper, and tires. . My thinking is you will be seeing 16-18

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I actually owned a 2017 Tacoma, built it all up and sold it 6 months. My buddy is currently trying to sell his with a GFC. I love Toyota, My wifes 2018 4runner is awesome. Something is just off about the 3rd gen tacoma. I am back to a 1st gen tacoma. I drive alot and 70% is modern HWY. A newer vehicle seems like a better choice. Back to the thread.

I can add to this b/c I am currently trying to make the same decision. I have gone and test driven all of these trucks more than once.
I quickly eliminated the gladiator as well, lets leave that there.

The Ranger-
I dont mind the ride (I currently drive a 2002 tacoma), maybe thats why. It feels like a truck . I think the Ranger will be a great truck, especially since it is basically a T6. The T6 has a great reputation across the world. It has alot of pro's which have been discussed here.

Just to reiterate Pros / Cons:

Pros:
With the fx4 package you get a locker, decent payload, gearing and tow capacity.
The approach angle is better than the ZR2.
In the Ext Cab the back seat is bigger than the ZR2.
interior ergonomics seem to be decent.

Cons:
The gas tank is tiny. I hate having to carry a ton of fuel with me, might not be an issue for some.
The minute you get the fx4 package you you nix the steelies.
If you get the XL the screen is 4.2 ". In some trucks the 4.2 " screen is not a big deal, this one is garbage. It is super dark for some reason and is flat out extremely frustrating to navigate. The sales guy apologized for the quality of it. It seems you would end up using your phone instead of the screen. Not a big deal when you are driving a 20 yr old vehicle. If I am going to get a 2019/20 I want a screen with legibility.
Now you are stepping into an xlt so the high 20's-30 goes to mid 30's.
Add a bumper, winch, suspension, wheels, tires and you will be in the mid to high 40's. If you want the quality of suspension that is on the ZR2, it will be even more.
Once you load this truck down I have a feeling the gas mpg will be down into the mid teens.

The ZR2
Pros:
it feels like a truck but drives like a sports car.
front / rear lockers.
Diesel great mpg.
With the bison, all you need is a winch and tires.

Cons:
Small back seat.
ergonomically very strange. The doors have a two tiered storage system that seems completely useless.
Bad approach angle, even worse with bison.
the verdict is still out on the reliability.
The hood height is going to be an issue on steeper terrain.

I know for me and where I travel, the ZR2 is winning the race. There is still time for the ranger to win though.

The Bronco might be interesting. It will be on the new platform which the Ranger gets moved too likely 2022-23. The existing platform is a tweaked global one. My guess is the new frame is designed to accommodate the hybrid tech and future design plans.

If the Bronco gets the 100hp inline EV system the Explorer has plus a two speed transfer case setup. That will be really interesting regarding grunt and daily use mileage etc. Though I suspect the Bronco will be about Wrangler 4dr size at most. Which is a bummer for those of us that want a roomy mid sized rig. So far the tired 4runner is about as good as it gets.

85_Ranger4x4

If you get an XL with the STX package, you should get the larger screen in the dash as well as other goodies.

You get other goodies but the bigger screen isn't one of them until you go XLT.

Yes, you can get both STX and FX4, but (at least in my region), you can get the rear locker as stand alone. Personally, If i were buying, I’d skip the FX4 and just get the rear locker.

And also, find another dealer.

+1

With the XL you have to get the STX appearance package to get the FX4.

I have to have the STX package on the XL to get the color I want plus you get nicer seats which I ain't gonna argue about.p the black bumper. The all-terrain tires take out a significant chunk FX4 package price plus it does get you get skidplates and the offroad angle thing on the dash (never had one, I think it would be neat) Otherwise sans FX4 you get all-season highway tires, I am cheap enough I am going to wear out whatever tires it comes with before I buy something different and I don't want street tires.

If you don't want Saber and are going to upgrade bumpers and tires out of the hole then yeah, you just killed a lot of my reasons for wanting the STX/FX4. For me I would get one as a rural daily driver.

You can get the locker on a 2wd XL if you want, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. When I was talking to the Ranger team when they launched the truck in Detroit they were rather proud that you could get the locker in any trim level and with either drive option.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
.... The all-terrain tires take out a significant chunk FX4 package price plus it does get you get skidplates and the offroad angle thing on the dash (never had one, I think it would be neat) ....

I don't know about the Ranger, but the skids that come on F150 FX4 package are more like splash guards. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend money to get them.

Also, I don't have FX4 (just STX), but I do have the inclinometer. Not sure if it's the same on the Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

I don't know about the Ranger, but the skids that come on F150 FX4 package are more like splash guards. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend money to get them.

Also, I don't have FX4 (just STX), but I do have the inclinometer. Not sure if it's the same on the Ranger.

I am more worried about snow and cornstalks than rocks. It sucks when a rogue cornstalk flips off your belt...

It says the inclinometer is included with the FX4 package, STX doesn't mention it.

While I complain about my small tank it still takes longer to empty than my bladder takes to fill. I have the FX4 XLT with the large screen and it works pretty well. I really wanted XL, 4x4 and locker but the CFO wanted her lumbar support and heated seats so we ended up with all of the gizmos. As much as it pains me to say it I kinda like all of the gizmos and even catch myself playing with the inclinometer

spectre6000

Observer
I just learned that the Ranger's engine/body were not exactly meant for each other... There's been a thing floating around the interwebs lately about a convoluted oil change process that is simply bananas. I read that a Ford PR guy came out and said, 'It's not that bad...'. Apparently you don't have to remove the wheel to access the oil filter... you can technically squeeze in there if you crank it all the way over. And you don't have to remove the wheel well liner, you can technically get away with just removing a few fasteners and bending it down (which sounds like a great way to break the adjacent fasteners and mess up your wheel well liner). Also mentioned in the internet rumor was that you have to unbolt the power steering module shield and move it over to drain the oil, and that doesn't seem to have been "corrected"...

I obviously haven't experienced this yet, but when you have drivetrains not intended for the cars they end up in, bad things happen. It reminds me of my Dodge Dakota with the old Mercedes SOHC V8 from the Diamler merger... The engine isn't terrible, but it definitely isn't intended for that truck... In an R107 SL, it's a solid engine, if not exactly spirited. In a truck, it's a dog. That's not the part that's applicable, I'm just complaining on that front. What really sucks is oil changes. The filter is located directly above a frame member such that it's impossible to change your oil without making a royal mess. If you're having to tear down anything more than a bare minimum, that basic maintenance item becomes much more of a PITA. Human nature being what it is, this means oil changes will either be more expensive or less likely to happen/less frequent... Personal beef.

That said, I also don't like when manufacturers put aluminum heads on iron blocks, and that's what I just plunked down $50K on, so.... Who am I to judge?

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I just learned that the Ranger's engine/body were not exactly meant for each other... There's been a thing floating around the interwebs lately about a convoluted oil change process that is simply bananas. I read that a Ford PR guy came out and said, 'It's not that[\i] bad...'. Apparently you don't have[\i] to remove the wheel to access the oil filter... you can technically squeeze in there if you crank it all the way over. And you don't have[\i] too remove the wheel well liner, you can technically get away with just removing a few fasteners and bending it down (which sounds like a great way to break the adjacent fasteners and mess up your wheel well liner). Also mentioned in the internet rumor was that you have to unbolt the power steering module shield and move it over to drain the oil, and that doesn't seem to have been "corrected"...

I obviously haven't experienced this yet, but when you have drivetrains not intended for the cars they end up in, bad things happen. It reminds me of my Dodge Dakota with the old Mercedes SOHC V8 from the Diamler merger... The engine isn't terrible[\i], but it definitely isn't intended for that truck... In an R107 SL, it's a solid engine, if not exactly spirited. In a truck, it's a dog. That's not the part that's applicable, I'm just complaining on that front. What really sucks is oil changes. The filter is located directly above a frame member such that it's impossible to change your oil without making a royal mess. If you're having to tear down anything more than a bare minimum, that basic maintenance item becomes much more of a PITA. Human nature being what it is, this means oil changes will either be more expensive or less likely to happen/less frequent... Personal beef.

That said, I also don't like when manufacturers put aluminum heads on iron blocks, and that's what I just plunked down $50K on, so.... Who am I to judge?

Sheesh. Yet another internet-induced drama. It’s 4 or 5 clips. Reach in and undo the filter. It was the same process on 5VZ Toyota’s. Not a big deal, especially at 7-10k mile OCI, which is once a year for me.

85_Ranger4x4

I just learned that the Ranger's engine/body were not exactly meant for each other... There's been a thing floating around the interwebs lately about a convoluted oil change process that is simply bananas. I read that a Ford PR guy came out and said, 'It's not that[\i] bad...'. Apparently you don't have[\i] to remove the wheel to access the oil filter... you can technically squeeze in there if you crank it all the way over. And you don't have[\i] too remove the wheel well liner, you can technically get away with just removing a few fasteners and bending it down (which sounds like a great way to break the adjacent fasteners and mess up your wheel well liner). Also mentioned in the internet rumor was that you have to unbolt the power steering module shield and move it over to drain the oil, and that doesn't seem to have been "corrected"...

This is like year old crap, it isn't a big deal. The truck has been in production for almost a year, if this was real we would be well past "rumor" stage.

The cast iron block, aluminum headed V8 in my driveway has 180k on it, knocking on wood it runs great.

phsycle

Adventurer
Old Honda Civic i had back in the day was a pain. Had to break my in two places to reach that filter located conveniently behind the block, above the cross member and exhaust pipe. Oil changes in trucks now days is a cinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles