Opinions Solicited......Another Head Scratching Mid Size Truck Choice Thread

phsycle

Adventurer
If they even make the pattern the different offset pushing the wheel ouboard more is going to hose the little press-in wheel bearing, and the tires will be hanging out of the wheel well (which I guess is all the rage today)

It is kind of a nitpicky thing but it irks me. And really as far as things go if that is my biggest gripe about the truck it isn't too bad.

You got me browsing the Ford site for no reason. I’m actually really liking the XL. If I were in the market, picking this up for under $30k, 4wd, rear locker..... That is a goood deal. For the record, love the steel wheels. Positive offset and all. Mild lift, 255/85/16, sliders. Done.

1575944290761.jpeg

Last edited:

spectre6000

Observer
2019 Colorado Number of TSB’s issued.... 282
2019 Ford Ranger No. of TSB’s issued.........6

Interesting stat! Gotta pick that apart for sure!

Could go a few ways: Either the Chevy has more problems OR Ford pretends their problems don't exist... For ANY manufacturer, I expect to see at least several dozen TSBs issued, if for no reason other than infotainment and minor calibration updates. 6 honestly seems incredibly low, and given Ford's issues with transmissions and reliability in general over the last decade or two, they have demonstrated a strong propensity for sweeping things under the rug and hoping no one notices. That said, the 8-speed transmission sounds like it has been quite a problem child. Flipping the coin yet again, the Ranger platform is no spring chicken (being replaced in the next year or so), and it's possible they ironed things out elsewhere before we ever saw it...

Where was that stat gleaned from, and did it go into detail about the nature of the TSBs?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
1. Could go a few ways: Either the Chevy has more problems OR Ford pretends their problems don't exist...
2. given Ford's issues with transmissions and reliability in general over the last decade or two, they have demonstrated a strong propensity for sweeping things under the rug and hoping no one notices.
3. Where was that stat gleaned from, and did it go into detail about the nature of the TSBs?

1. Very good point. I wondered about that too.
It’s kinda like a Goldilocks thing.....Chevy’s TSB’s = too many, Ford’s = not enough;

2. Then there’s this recent expose (which gives me some pause, especially after owning once an ‘85 1/2 4wd Ford with a tranny that didn’t even last 6,000 miles and never getting any satisfaction from FoMoCo regarding a permanent fix;

3. Source = CarComplaints.com, and you can click on the links there to get a full list and details of every TSB issued for that model year.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

You got me browsing the Ford site for no reason. I’m actually really liking the XL. If I were in the market, picking this up for under $30k, 4wd, rear locker..... That is a goood deal. For the record, love the steel wheels. Positive offset and all. Mild lift, 255/85/16, sliders. Done.

View attachment 555376

Make it a XL, STX FX4 in Saber for me.

I have 14k on my new Ranger and so far I love it. I haven’t noticed any of the overly soft ride / handling issues. It’s no canyon carving sports car but it handles just fine. The power delivery is awesome I love the engine trans combo. It’s hard not to keep on boost the steady pull is to hard to resist which isn’t great for mileage. However when I’m nice to it loaded with kids dogs and their accessories for a long weekend I see about 23-24 mpg under normal heavy right foot around town I’m looking at closer to 21-22 mpg. As far as comfort goes I was in a 16 Ram 2500 tradesmen before this and it’s night and day. I do miss the space but in the Ram and my 2011 GMC 1500 company truck I would have to stop every 2 hours give or take to stretch out my gimpy right hip in the Ranger the pain is still the but is manageable more just a dull ache. Having a aching hip in the truck sounds bad hit I have it on the couch too being tolerable in the truck is pretty impressive considering. The no 6 foot bed of the crew cab and the 18 gallon tank sucks but the bed isn’t an issue for you.

Attachments

• 1D36B4AC-657B-4D62-90B8-A9968912CAB3.jpeg
    1D36B4AC-657B-4D62-90B8-A9968912CAB3.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 24

phsycle

Adventurer
I might have missed it but why no F150 in the mix? So much more truck for the money and I have a buddy that has a new 3.5 EB and another with the 2.7 EB and they are getting great mpg.

I wonder if it's a length or width issue to fit in the garage.

If length, then I'd look at a reg. cab F150, which is 1.5" shorter than the Ranger. It would open up a lot more options for a camper, as well as more hauling capacity.

1575989460568.png

spectre6000

Observer
Awesome link! I feel like I've seen that site before, but not in a context where it had much in the way of immediate import to me, and I never dug that deep.

How exactly is one supposed to swallow TSBs? (You don't, they're suppositories! Heya!) On the one hand, there was an issue in engineering or manufacturing, and you kind of want those things ironed out before they end up in the hands of the consumer. On the other hand, they listened, solved the problem, and set about fixing them. Any vehicle produced AFTER the TSB is issued, one assumes, has that issue rectified.

The complaints section follows exactly with what has been discussed here: the gas models have had a rough time. All of the transmission complaints were for gas engines, and even one of the electrical complaints was the starter on a gas engine (the starter solenoid failed in the active position). The TSB section requires more time and focus than I have available to me at the moment. Maybe tonight over some vinyl. Additionally, I'm not sure they warrant much attention since they were all issued before my truck was produced, and would thus have been resolved before they ever got to me.

85_Ranger4x4

I wonder if it's a length or width issue to fit in the garage.

If length, then I'd look at a reg. cab F150, which is 1.5" shorter than the Ranger. It would open up a lot more options for a camper, as well as more hauling capacity.

View attachment 555422

Reg cab has a fair amount of downsides too...

Like no interior storage. In my Ranger with two people I don't have much more dry secure interior storage on the road than a motorcycle with saddlebags...

I like my Ranger, it has about a perfect wheel base for trails and the 7' bad is very handy... it would be really hard to get another standard cab if something happened to this one though.

phsycle

Adventurer
Reg cab has a fair amount of downsides too...

Like no interior storage. In my Ranger with two people I don't have much more dry secure interior storage on the road than a motorcycle with saddlebags...

I like my Ranger, it has about a perfect wheel base for trails and the 7' bad is very handy... it would be really hard to get another standard cab if something happened to this one though.

Yeah, Tacoma was the same way. No interior storage in the reg cab. But on the full size regular cabs, there is a fair amount of storage behind the rear seats. Maybe not as much as an extended cab, but definitely more than saddle bags.

I can't think of any other downsides, though. The Ford is available with 3 engine options and rear locker in all trims (can't imagine how fast this thing is with the 2.7). The only thing missing is the larger 36 gal gas tank. I'd probably get a shell so storage room isn't really an issue.

1575994587632.png

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Yeah, Tacoma was the same way. No interior storage in the reg cab. But on the full size regular cabs, there is a fair amount of storage behind the rear seats. Maybe not as much as an extended cab, but definitely more than saddle bags.

I can't think of any other downsides, though. The Ford is available with 3 engine options and rear locker in all trims (can't imagine how fast this thing is with the 2.7). The only thing missing is the larger 36 gal gas tank. I'd probably get a shell so storage room isn't really an issue.

View attachment 555436

If you go back in time you could get the Tremor, 3.5EB, std cab shortbox with 4.10's.

My brother has a '14 Tremor, it will move.

And yeah, he has a little more room than my Ranger... it is still pretty tight and for all intents and purposes pretty similar. Going down the road it is pretty much off limits, you can't flip the drivers seat ahead to grab the camera or something any better than I can in my little Ranger.

It is about the only thing my Supercab F-150 has over his... and to me it is a huge deal.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Well, FWIW, here is the sweet ride (2003 K2500 HD gasser with the 6.0, with just under 90,000 miles on it) that I’ll probably be replacing:

7AD767B3-1776-421A-A6A7-4E5846CD47A2.jpeg

It’s just a bit too long and it’s also too tall for me to mount the pop up shell on it and still get it parked inside...but it’s going to be tough to let this go)

anyone?, anyone?

Last edited:

jgallo1

Adventurer
I actually owned a 2017 Tacoma, built it all up and sold it 6 months. My buddy is currently trying to sell his with a GFC. I love Toyota, My wifes 2018 4runner is awesome. Something is just off about the 3rd gen tacoma. I am back to a 1st gen tacoma. I drive alot and 70% is modern HWY. A newer vehicle seems like a better choice. Back to the thread.

I can add to this b/c I am currently trying to make the same decision. I have gone and test driven all of these trucks more than once.
I quickly eliminated the gladiator as well, lets leave that there.

The Ranger-
I dont mind the ride (I currently drive a 2002 tacoma), maybe thats why. It feels like a truck . I think the Ranger will be a great truck, especially since it is basically a T6. The T6 has a great reputation across the world. It has alot of pro's which have been discussed here.

Just to reiterate Pros / Cons:

Pros:
With the fx4 package you get a locker, decent payload, gearing and tow capacity.
The approach angle is better than the ZR2.
In the Ext Cab the back seat is bigger than the ZR2.
interior ergonomics seem to be decent.

Cons:
The gas tank is tiny. I hate having to carry a ton of fuel with me, might not be an issue for some.
The minute you get the fx4 package you you nix the steelies.
If you get the XL the screen is 4.2 ". In some trucks the 4.2 " screen is not a big deal, this one is garbage. It is super dark for some reason and is flat out extremely frustrating to navigate. The sales guy apologized for the quality of it. It seems you would end up using your phone instead of the screen. Not a big deal when you are driving a 20 yr old vehicle. If I am going to get a 2019/20 I want a screen with legibility.
Now you are stepping into an xlt so the high 20's-30 goes to mid 30's.
Add a bumper, winch, suspension, wheels, tires and you will be in the mid to high 40's. If you want the quality of suspension that is on the ZR2, it will be even more.
Once you load this truck down I have a feeling the gas mpg will be down into the mid teens.

The ZR2
Pros:
it feels like a truck but drives like a sports car.
front / rear lockers.
Diesel great mpg.
With the bison, all you need is a winch and tires.

Cons:
Small back seat.
ergonomically very strange. The doors have a two tiered storage system that seems completely useless.
Bad approach angle, even worse with bison.
the verdict is still out on the reliability.
The hood height is going to be an issue on steeper terrain.

I know for me and where I travel, the ZR2 is winning the race. There is still time for the ranger to win though.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx mucho, great review of the P’s and C’s. I somehow missed the important gas tank issue.

Some more on the Ranger:

+reviewers seem to really love the drivers seat fit
-actual owners seem to be having frustrating problems with getting the info screen to pair properly and otherwise work right.
+has maybe best payload
+supposedly better mpgs than all others?
-is a Ford ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

If you get an XL with the STX package, you should get the larger screen in the dash as well as other goodies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior