Opinions Solicited......Another Head Scratching Mid Size Truck Choice Thread

85_Ranger4x4

Fair. I do think the Rangers look a bit cooler with some narrow tires and steel rims in base spec:

View attachment 554634

My biggest gripe about the new Ranger is the FWD like wheel offset. I don't mind steelies but the stock ones on the Ranger look like they are off a base model Taurus without hubcaps.

And because of the offset you can't get away from that, even if you could get generic soft 8 or D windows, they would just look like interceptor wheels.

[Q

Can you really sleep two adults comfortably in a compact truck though? I'm 6'1", wife is 5'4". We tried it in my old Tacoma. Wife lasted two nights and said "never again." That's why I was happy to go with a CCSB on my current truck. Because I know there's no way I'm ever going to get her to sleep in the back, so that eliminates the need for a long bed.

One person? Sure, works fine. Did it many times in several different trucks (Mazda B2000, Ranger, Tacoma.)

But trying to sleep two average American adults in the back of a compact truck - even with a 6' bed - is for the young and flexible. Us older people need our space. :D

It's not a question of length, BTW, it's a question of width.

A twin size air mattress fits between the wheel wells in my 7' bed perfectly, cozy for two but doable.

I am taller than 6' so a 6' bed would be no dice for me.

nickw

Adventurer
My biggest gripe about the new Ranger is the FWD like wheel offset. I don't mind steelies but the stock ones on the Ranger look like they are off a base model Taurus without hubcaps.

And because of the offset you can't get away from that, even if you could get generic soft 8 or D windows, they would just look like interceptor wheels.

A twin size air mattress fits between the wheel wells in my 7' bed perfectly, cozy for two but doable.

I am taller than 6' so a 6' bed would be no dice for me.
your biggest gripe is wheel offset, really? :)

I think the wheels look very sim to the Hilux Steelies.

phsycle

Adventurer
your biggest gripe is wheel offset, really? :)

I think the wheels look very sim to the Hilux Steelies.

I don’t mind the stock offset either. Gives it a very utilitarian look.
But if one were dissatisfied, Spidertrax spacers would solve that issue.

jmodz

Something to note about the Colorado is that it recently made Consumer Reports list of least reliable vehicles and has the lowest overall score of any compact truck, even the Tacoma. The Ranger on the other hand has much better reliability ratings and is second only to the Ridgeline in CR’s ratings.

rruff

Explorer
But trying to sleep two average American adults in the back of a compact truck - even with a 6' bed - is for the young and flexible. Us older people need our space. :D
It's not a question of length, BTW, it's a question of width.

Me and my wife slept on a 36" wide mattress for a couple years. Don't think flexibility or age has anything to do with it.

jadmt

ignore button user
Something to note about the Colorado is that it recently made Consumer Reports list of least reliable vehicles and has the lowest overall score of any compact truck, even the Tacoma. The Ranger on the other hand has much better reliability ratings and is second only to the Ridgeline in CR’s ratings.
it is funny I looked at a bunch of new Bison ZR2's and regular ZR2's and half of them had a plastic piece by interior handle that wanted to fall out. As far as CR and Honda reliablity I take it with a grain of salt. I currently own a 2017 Civc, 2014 CRV and 2016 CRV and prior to those several accords and Odysseys and all have had more issues than my last 4 jk wranglers. my 2016 wrangler and 2018 wrangler have not had a single issue. Our 2014 Accord had something inside the unibody that continually rolled around it took forever for them to figure it out and they had to cut a hole in the body to get it out and then patch it with some kind of filler looked like crap. Not sure why my wife keeps insisting she drive Hondas. Maybe she likes the salesman lol.

jmodz

it is funny I looked at a bunch of new Bison ZR2's and regular ZR2's and half of them had a plastic piece by interior handle that wanted to fall out. As far as CR and Honda reliablity I take it with a grain of salt. I currently own a 2017 Civc, 2014 CRV and 2016 CRV and prior to those several accords and Odysseys and all have had more issues than my last 4 jk wranglers. my 2016 wrangler and 2018 wrangler have not had a single issue. Our 2014 Accord had something inside the unibody that continually rolled around it took forever for them to figure it out and they had to cut a hole in the body to get it out and then patch it with some kind of filler looked like crap. Not sure why my wife keeps insisting she drive Hondas. Maybe she likes the salesman lol.
For clarification I was saying that the Ranger is second to the Ridgeline in CR’s overall score, not specifically reliability. However I think it is also second to it in their reliability data. As for Honda, yes they have fallen off of a cliff in terms of reliability in recent years with their electronics and other issues. Honda is now ranked #12 for reliability amongst brands, more middle of the pack than their reputation would suggest.

I have found CR to be probably the most objective and unbiased car reporters (except for the Samurai). Their reliability is also gathered from thousands of survey respondents and mostly mirrors what people on the forums say (shockingly). I.e. 3rd gen tacomas aren’t great and are not as reliable, Jeeps aren’t reliable, the 4Runner is super reliable, etc...

nickw

Adventurer

I had to look....to my eye they look just like the Hilux ones!

1575918730876.png

1575918852705.png

85_Ranger4x4

I don’t mind the stock offset either. Gives it a very utilitarian look.
But if one were dissatisfied, Spidertrax spacers would solve that issue.

Not really, to "fix" it the wheel center need to go in.

The charcoal XLT wheels, the spokes actually protrude past the bead of the rim partially because of the offset. Luckily the wheels are aluminum under the dark paint so they will show every nick and scratch very loudly for all to see.
1.jpg

I don't particularly care for this exact wheel but something like this is what I would prefer with the wheel center more centered and the wheel having more dish. Adding and fender flares and different offset wheels are the only way to do it.

a049a5206642ee6dcb007c177d275b88.jpg

And in today's world of unit wheel bearings that is far less than ideal... so there is no real good "fix" for it on the user end other than to tolerate it.

I think a less loud color would help the Rangers steel wheel look too.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Cracks me up when people talk about steel wheels.

I remember replacing them on a regular basis because they got the wobbes ie bent pretty easily especially on heavy rigs.

Hell my trailer steel wheels had to go after too many wobbly miles.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not really, to "fix" it the wheel center need to go in.

The charcoal XLT wheels, the spokes actually protrude past the bead of the rim partially because of the offset. Luckily the wheels are aluminum under the dark paint so they will show every nick and scratch very loudly for all to see.
1.jpg

I don't particularly care for this exact wheel but something like this is what I would prefer with the wheel center more centered and the wheel having more dish. Adding and fender flares and different offset wheels are the only way to do it.

a049a5206642ee6dcb007c177d275b88.jpg

And in today's world of unit wheel bearings that is far less than ideal... so there is no real good "fix" for it on the user end other than to tolerate it.

I think a less loud color would help the Rangers steel wheel look too.

I like the look of more neg offset wheels as well, but spokes protruding isn't really that big of a deal. Raptors is the same way (not the beadlock version).

Procomp is another option. Goodlooking steel wheels. But it's really nitpicking if the only thing you're complaining about is the look of the wheels.

1575924788193.png

85_Ranger4x4

Cracks me up when people talk about steel wheels.

I remember replacing them on a regular basis because they got the wobbes ie bent pretty easily especially on heavy rigs.

Hell my trailer steel wheels had to go after too many wobbly miles.

You can't look like a hilux like that though?!

Nothing wrong with steel though, in a pinch they can be beat back into shape to hold air and get you home where aluminum just breaks so I think they do have some merit.

I do think a set of Crager D windows would like nicer than any factory Ranger wheel options aside from maybe the Lariat ones though...

85_Ranger4x4

I like the look of more neg offset wheels as well, but spokes protruding isn't really that big of a deal. Raptors is the same way (not the beadlock version).

Procomp is another option. Goodlooking steel wheels. But it's really nitpicking if the only thing you're complaining about is the look of the wheels.

View attachment 555340

If they even make the pattern the different offset pushing the wheel ouboard more is going to hose the little press-in wheel bearing, and the tires will be hanging out of the wheel well (which I guess is all the rage today)

It is kind of a nitpicky thing but it irks me. And really as far as things go if that is my biggest gripe about the truck it isn't too bad.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

2019 Colorado Number of TSB’s issued.... 282
2019 Ford Ranger No. of TSB’s issued.........6

85_Ranger4x4

2019 Colorado Number of TSB’s issued.... 282
2019 Ford Ranger No. of TSB’s issued.........6

I know there have a been a couple recalls on the Ranger. Seat belt had a glitch during assembly early on and recently a hot plastic smell from the heating system IIRC from an incorrectly made connector.

IMO typical minor new model kinks.

I don't follow the Colorado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles