What Half-Ton Truck & Why

rajacat

I've never heard an instance of outright failure of a 10 speed in a F150. Rough shifting, yes but failure no. I'm sure there must be some failures, somewhere but they certainly must be extremely rare. I do peruse the F150 forums and have yet to see any certified complete failure. The 10 speed is definitely built Ford tough.

D45

Explorer
How does the 6.2L motor in the GMC/Chevy trucks perform?

Power numbers make it a beast, but does the mileage suffer?

D

Deleted member 9101

I've never heard an instance of outright failure of a 10 speed in a F150. Rough shifting, yes but failure no. I'm sure there must be some failures, somewhere but they certainly must be extremely rare. I do peruse the F150 forums and have yet to see any certified complete failure. The 10 speed is definitely built Ford tough.

There is no shortage of Supercharged 5.0's and modified 2.7/3.5's putting some pretty impressive HP/TQ numbers through the 10 speed and they are holding up with out issue. In the Mustang world the 10 speed has been thoroughly been abused and held up quite well. IIRC it doesn't start slipping until you get above 650WHP. Plenty of guys pull 8-10,000 pound trailers behind trucks at 70+ MPH with the 10 speed and they don't flinch.

As for the shifting, my step brother has a 2019 Limited with the 3.5 HO and it shifted pretty roughly for the first 3-4 thousand miles (the adaptive tranny has a rather long "learning curve"). It smoothed out some and then Ford did a programming update that helped a lot. At about 10k he went with a tune from Brew City boost and now it shifts amazingly well, it also makes an obnoxious amount of power considering the size of the motor...haha.

Here is an example of 540WHP (~600+ at the crank) being sent through a mechanically stock 10 speed:

D

Deleted member 9101

How does the 6.2L motor in the GMC/Chevy trucks perform?

Power numbers make it a beast, but does the mileage suffer?

According to Fueleconomy.gov they get 17 city and 20 highway.

I know from my 3/4 ton GMC at work with the 6.2 that it does pretty good if you baby it...but as soon as you look at a trailer or the gas peddle it plummets.

Wrathchild

Been happy with my 2014 Sierra 5.3. (Just rolled over 60k miles) I’m on 35s regeared to 4.56 and AFM disabled. OVRLND cab over camper. Truck says I averaged 14.6 MPG over 1500 miles on a lot of twisty up and down roads. I’m sure it’s less than that but im ok being lied too hah regearing and not driving like a race car is what’s preserving my mileage I think.

My 5.3 does burn oil. About 1.5 quarts over 50% or so of the oil life monitor. Well within GM tolerance, but annoying none the less. My previous 6.0 gasser didn’t burn an ounce...

Were I were to do it over I would have bought a 2500 gasser again or an extended cab 1500 vs the crew cab. Get a slightly longer bed as well as been built in the US. Only real complaints I have is with QC stuff from the Mexican plant. I did have the vacuum pump fail at about 35k and that was really annoying. Lived in a place at the time with no way to get warranty service and it cost me a chunk of change as well as it’s a PITA job.

Truck is a bit of a dog and wish I had a bit more motor. Future plans are to do the top end and get rid of the AFM lifters that are known to fail. As well as headers back and a real tune.

billiebob

I loved the max tow and max payload package

I hated the ride with the 20" tires, never again anything over 18"
You are on the right track

On fuel economy, the new trucks empty get great mileage but add some wieght and they all drop to 15mpg at best. Glad you are getting the max tow and max payload packages but those will hurt fuel economy even empty. The manufacturers are playing games with the computers. And building Soccer Mom pickups which only hit the high gas mileage numbers if you buy the base power, base payload, base tow model and never haul more than 2 kids with their ballet gear.

Last edited:

Wrathchild

According to Fueleconomy.gov they get 17 city and 20 highway.

I know from my 3/4 ton GMC at work with the 6.2 that it does pretty good if you baby it...but as soon as you look at a trailer or the gas peddle it plummets.

I think you mean the 6.0. 6.2 is only available in half tons and totally different engine design. But I agree, the 6.0 is thirsty! And bulletproof.

D

Deleted member 9101

I think you mean the 6.0. 6.2 is only available in half tons and totally different engine design. But I agree, the 6.0 is thirsty! And bulletproof.

(goes out side, pops hood, looks at sticker) Yep.. you are 100% correct, I was .02 off...haha.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don't understand how people drive to get such horrendous mileage. Picked up my 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Supercab in May of 2016. As with all my vehicles, fuel purchases are entered into an Excel spreadsheet which calculates the mileage among other things. Over 40,000 miles on it now and the overall fuel mileage since I bought it is 20.96 mpg. According to the spreadsheet the best tank I've ever gotten was just under 24 mpg and the WORST was 17.3. The truck has been totally dependable - never been in the shop for any reason. All I've even done is change the oil and rotate the tires.

My new 2019 Expedition 3.5 with 10spd worst case short local kid sports trips 17mpg and highway trips are typically 21-22mph 65-75mph speeds.

I do think Ford has perfected the 3.5 since 2012.

The 3.3 is Fords Fleet cheapest maintenance option and a good choice if your risk adverse to turbo engines.

phsycle

Adventurer
I am a bit confused. One of the major gripes you had with the 3.5 was the poor MPG. Yet the other engines you list are as “bad” or worse. A Toyota 5.7, 5.0 Coyote, 6.2L, are all going to get worse mileage. And at the same time, with less power.

Personally, even if the mileage were the same, I’d rather have the power if I’m having the deal with the MPG.

I don’t have a catch can in my ecoboost either. General consensus seems to be very mixed. I don’t plan installing one.

5.0 is a good engine. I wouldn’t necessarily have any issues if I had one. Things get overblown online. Only those that have issues complain. And if you’re selling over a million trucks a year, you’re bound to hear some complaints surface. Same with 10-sp transmissions.

motoboss

Bad Influence
Your Google **** must be weak. This has been an ongoing issue for a while and apparently you don't own a Ford.

Last edited:

rajacat

@motoboss
I own a 2018 F150 3.5EB 4WD SCAB. It has been faultless. The tranny doesn't slip or hunt. Just smooth as silk. Tell me, have any of those lawsuits been successful? I suspect that many of those problems are software issues. Of course there's going to be a few total failures among the 100's thousands of 10 speeds Fords out there.
I never said that there weren't any failures or problems. The F150 is the best selling truck by far so there's bound to be some failures. Maybe you should google some of their competitors about their tranny problems or other issues?

What kind of truck do you drive?

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I don’t agree that the 6.2 is a totally different design than the 6.0. My L96 uses the same “ls3” style square port heads, only difference is displacement and the compression ratio is probably different.
IMO, and I could be wrong, is that the 6.0 is de-tuned for longevity and fuel economy compared to the 6.2.
My 6.0 does seem to use some oil at 130k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles