Need new tires

phsycle

Adventurer
Another tire thread. Looking for some new tires in size 285/70/17. I feel like that's a good size for multi-purpose trucks. Commuting, camping, etc. Driving in snow, pavement, dirt.

Top candidates are General Grabber ATX and BFG KO2. Pricing is about the same.

I've tried KO2's in the past with good luck. I've also had ST Maxx. Nice tires, but a bit too loud for me. Plus, snow performance was ok, but not as good as KO2's. I don't want Goodyear's.

Any others I should consider?

UHAULER

Explorer
Another tire thread. Looking for some new tires in size 285/70/17. I feel like that's a good size for multi-purpose trucks. Commuting, camping, etc. Driving in snow, pavement, dirt.

Top candidates are General Grabber ATX and BFG KO2. Pricing is about the same.

I've tried KO2's in the past with good luck. I've also had ST Maxx. Nice tires, but a bit too loud for me. Plus, snow performance was ok, but not as good as KO2's. I don't want Goodyear's.

I had some Yokahama GO15 all terrains on my van. Smooth, quiet and work good in snow.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...015OWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm having a good time with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in 265. Good price, too. Working great in sand / dirt / heavy rain and snowy roads. E rated. snow/mtn rated. I've been on a lot of rocky roads and dry washes with them, holding up great to rip-rap.
Reasonably quiet and pliable still with a couple years on them

Ducky's Dad

Explorer

Would be helpful to know what kind of vehicle they will be on. I like Toyos for trucks and have Load Range E AT-2s on the Tundra and on the Power Wagon. Also ran a set of Toyo M/Ts on the PW and liked them. When the PW wears out the ATs, I'll probably replace with Toyo RTs. The old GMC is running Nitto Terra Grapplers and I probably won't get another set of those. Had one tread separation and they are getting horribly noisy as they wear. May even have another tread separation, but can't isolate it. Shopping now for 285-70-17s in LR-E for the GMC half-ton. I'm no longer a fan of Goodrich AT-KOs because I also had a tread separation on those. On the plus side, the BFGs are quiet and handle well. Don't want to spend the money for Toyos on the GMC because that truck is on its last legs.

jadmt

ignore button user
Falken at3w are awesome tires. Have recently had ko2, toyo at2 and r/t, st maxx and for the money cannot beat the falkens. Better winter tires than all mentioned and way quieter than the st maxx or toy R/T

XJLI

Adventurer
KO2s here on my 05 1500 Silverado, have almost 60k on them and they have 30-40% left. Very happy with them.

Adventurous

Explorer
I've been very happy with my Cooper Discoverer AT/3s on my Ram 3500. I've taken them darn near everywhere, in all kinds of conditions, and they have yet to let me down. Quiet, low rolling resistance, and they were on pace to get 55K miles out of them with our 4K lbs worth of people and truck camper loaded up. Their performance was convincing enough that I got a second set to replace the first.

jbaucom

The Grabber ATX that I had on my GMC were solid performers everywhere but the interstate. I had a significant shake at 70+ mph, but it could've been the GM truck, since that generation was known for the "Chevy shake." Snow, gravel, light mud, rocks - they did great for an all-terrain. Discount Tire swapped them for a set of Falken AT3Ws and the high speed shake went away. They were good performers too, but I felt like the Generals had better traction on pavement and forest service roads.

TantoTrailers

I love my Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus tires! No road noise, minimal MPG loss, smooth as stock tires at 90mph, and they have gotten me through some sketchy terrain in my 2WD truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's hard to beat the Falken Wildpeak's for value and performance. When my OEM Goodyears wear out I'll put Wildpeaks on.

I have General ATX's in the factory 265/70/17 on my Tahoe. The only complaint I really have is that they are wearing down a bit faster than I would like, but it's a heavy vehicle doing mostly highway miles at 70-80 so could just be my driving

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I just replaced my Toyo A/T II's in a 285/75/17 with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's. I only got 32,000 miles out of the Toyo's so I decided I'd give something else a try. I haven't had the new AT3's in deep snow or ice yet, but they are quiet on the highway and they ride nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles