Springbar type vs dave Ellis tent vs oz

Mpl1978

Since I can’t see these in person, wondering what size would be good for a family of 4. I want it big enough, I can glamp it up for the wife, but not limit myself because of the footprint. All three look great.

xwerx

Observer
I have a Springbar Traveller. We are a family of 4, 2 kids who over pack for every adventure. No complaints, absolutely love it. One thing.. it’s a larger heavy item when packed up.
83B9BB5E-8C66-4016-B738-4C4EFC85F478.jpeg

shade

Since I can’t see these in person, wondering what size would be good for a family of 4. I want it big enough, I can glamp it up for the wife, but not limit myself because of the footprint. All three look great.
Will you be sleeping on cots? That makes a big difference in the required floor space.

I can't speak to the other tents, but I have a 10'x10' Kodiak tent, which is very similar to a Springbar. It sleeps three adults comfortably on cots, along with our gear, and it fits on most campsite tent pads. A 10'x14' tent would be a better choice for four cots, but it may be more difficult to find a spot to pitch such a large tent. The Springbar design stands up impressively well to high winds.

Laps

I also have a Kodiak Canvas tent. Its 9' x 8' and will comfortably sleep 4 on pads, or 2, maybe 3, on cots. It is easy to set up, once you've done it a few times, very much waterproof, and the construction is top notch.

Mpl1978

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure about whether it will be those hyperlite type of cots, regular cots, or the exped duo may for the wife and I and bags for the kids. I want the wife to sleep as good as possible. Seems from the posts that a 10x12 would be adequate?

shade

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure about whether it will be those hyperlite type of cots, regular cots, or the exped duo may for the wife and I and bags for the kids. I want the wife to sleep as good as possible. Seems from the posts that a 10x12 would be adequate?
10'x12' will probably work. One of the nice things about full height cots is the storage space under the cots. If you opt for mattresses or pads, it can be more of a challenge keeping clutter down and gear organized, so I'd give some thought to that as well. Trying to live out of a tent that looks like a garage sale isn't much fun, IMO.

Mpl1978

I have not visited many national parks as our family is just getting into overlanding. The springbar 10x14 looks like a size that without a doubt is large enough for my family. My question is how limited will I be in most park tent pad areas? Thx

I have a Springbar "Made in the USA" Traveler 5 (I think it's the 10x10). I'm very happy with it.

It goes up reasonably quickly but it does require a site where you can stake it into the ground. Strength and Durability are simply amazing. On my last trip, I pitched it on a bluff with no protection and a storm came through with winds gusting over 70 mph. Amazingly it held up with no damage. I remember driving around the next day seeing tents in more protected areas torn apart in shambles. It looked like many of the campers in the area had left their campsite in a hurry, presumably spent the night in a motel. There are many videos out there on the interwebs showing these tents standing up to hurricane force weather.

The Traveler 5 has excellent air circulation and can hold two large cots with space for a few kids on the floor. With smaller cots or sleeping pads, Fitting 4 adults is easy.

Mpl1978

Glad to hear, I ordered the USA made 10x14 just to give some extra space to my growing boys. Tent is set to arrive tomorrow - did you seam seal it or just water cure it in the yard prior to your first use?

shade

Glad to hear, I ordered the USA made 10x14 just to give some extra space to my growing boys. Tent is set to arrive tomorrow - did you seam seal it or just water cure it in the yard prior to your first use?
No seam sealing on canvas tents. Just do the water treatment as recommended and it'll be fine.

jk6661

Observer
I have a 10x14 Springbar for my family of 3. We like the extra space. For 10x10 tent pads, we obviously have to extend outside the official tent pad area -- hasn't been a problem so far.

Unrelated tip for Springbar owners: Ditch the stakes and use a drill/driver to drive in lag screws topped with washers. Setup and takedown are a whole lot easier and about 3X as fast. This can work on a Kodiak, but you have to be careful not to shred the nylon stake loops. (Not my idea, BTW -- check YouTube).

shade

I have a 10x14 Springbar for my family of 3. We like the extra space. For 10x10 tent pads, we obviously have to extend outside the official tent pad area -- hasn't been a problem so far.

Unrelated tip for Springbar owners: Ditch the stakes and use a drill/driver to drive in lag screws topped with washers. Setup and takedown are a whole lot easier and about 3X as fast. This can work on a Kodiak, but you have to be careful not to shred the nylon stake loops. (Not my idea, BTW -- check YouTube).
I haven't used my tent enough on hardpan, but it's not a bad idea. I have Orange Screws for soft ground, and would probably pair some GRK Concrete Screws with an impact driver for the hard stuff.

GB_Willys_2014

Absolutely

Lag screws with an battery operated impact hammer ******.

My Kodiak has metal loops, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles