James Baroud discontinued?

shock81

Hi all,
After a few clicks on products, it appears their models are showing discontinued. Are they out of business? I couldn't find anything with a google search.

ttengineer

Adventurer
They have recently swapped US distributors, and I believe the website is still owned and operated by the old distributor.

They are also changing the models, or so I’ve heard, so new SKUs are being created I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shoredreamer

Observer
Don’t bother with jamesbaroudusa.com anymore as it needs to be deleted for the interwebs.

Check out the shop I work at:
Or
for the most complete info and product line.

PM me too if you have specific questions.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just saw this on facebook... as one person responded, "If this information is true, OK 4WD are ************** "

james baroud.png

ttengineer

Adventurer
There is a lot of bad blood.

Specifically between adventure ready and OK4WD, well Rin at least.

From what I gather a lot of it stems from a miscommunication with Rin and AR on a warranty replacement for a customer during the transition.

Wether it was intentional or not is not for me to speculate but it wasn’t pretty to watch unfold online.

The transition has also caused some rather long warranty claims for a few of us too, myself included.

I should be all set by December though so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
"After this breach of contract, OK 4WD took over the name of our company to create jamesbaroudusa.com without..."

A quick lookup of WHOIS information for that domain name (feel free to check yourself: at http://www.whois.net or a million similar services) shows that this domain name was created on 2013-01-03T15:22:21Z, which directly contradicts the statement made by James Baroud.

"This website allows OK 4WD to systematically and unequivocally discredit with our brand image and values with false consumer reviews"

I just browsed jamesbaroudusa.com: the homepage shows nothing but 5-star testimonials, and I don't see anything resembling reviews anywhere else.

Sure reads like a whole bunch of bullsh*t.

You are spot on. Rather than speak directly to us, settle outstanding debts and move on they have decided to slander and attack us online. We have been more than polite not exposing the their issues or taking legal action to date.

billiebob

Regardless of the mud slinging I still the James Baroud makes one of the best products out there.

Always way more to a story than either side is willing to state.

The battle is about marketing, sales rights in the USA.
Nothing to do with the product which is made in Portugal.
This is all about the lack of integrity among the USA distribution network.

If there was any truth to either sides story they would have won a massive lawsuit by now.

Last edited:

billiebob

Since this drama is all Born in the USA...
I'm curious how James Baroud is perceived in Europe, Africa, Australia.
I had one of the original clam shell designs on my YJ and loved it. I only sold it cuz I no longer want to climb the ladder.
After attending a few overland events I have yet to meet anyone critical of the JB performance.

Last edited:

Oilbrnr

I had one of their products from 2014-16 that I purchased from OK. They were great to deal with, but the JB did not fair well during that time. Trim fell off, fan failed within 6 months, cracks all over the gel coat. Ladder mounts broke.

For the price, I was less than impressed.

The WHOIS is a telling find.

James Baroud Tents

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
I had one of their products from 2014-16 that I purchased from OK. They were great to deal with, but the JB did not fair well during that time. Trim fell off, fan failed within 6 months, cracks all over the gel coat. Ladder mounts broke.

For the price, I was less than impressed.

The WHOIS is a telling find.

Dear Oilbrnr,

did you claim for warranty?

Best regards
James Baroud

ab1985

Explorer
The Falcon 250 recently piqued my interest. I've been reading up online over the past few days. What a cluster f#ck...

Oilbrnr

Dear Oilbrnr,

did you claim for warranty?

Best regards
James Baroud

At the time, getting any warranty support out of you via 4OK was abysmal. Short of replacing the whole thing at a considerable effort on my part was not worth it. Hence I sold it.

The only positive I could say is that is was quiet in the wind and deployed quickly.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Running a website for a product you no longer distribute pretending it's still a part of that company is extremely shady (and probably illegal). Regardless of when it was registered or if you promise not to use it to spread disparaging information. It's textbook trademark infringement (assuming "James Baroud" is trademarked).

The simple act of creating the impression with customers that you're in someway related to the actual brand is against the law (see all the companies that had to change their name because they contained the word "backcountry"), and magnified if your website in any way affects the trademark owners sales.
It's fine to own and use the website name, you bought it first afterall, but you can't pretend to be the actual company. Like having it direct to a page of yours that states you're not James Baroud and that instead customers should buy your own product. A little sleezy, but legal because people visiting the site know that you're not the real company.

But pretending to be a trademarked company (especially one you're fighting or competing with) is setting yourself up for a massive lawsuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles