F150 vs Tundra....I’ll make a decision tomorrow

tlrols

Hmmm...ROI and rolling stock? There is none! Maybe you might consider the cost of fixing what you have? No way will you rack up a bill equal to a new rig. I think you should skip thinking about ROI and just determine if you want a new rig. If you do I would consider that anything new might be the last internal combustion motor you see.

Can you hang tough to see what an electric F150 looks like? That is what I would do. The torque curve on an electric motor is amazing. It’s clean, no carbon, no gasoline, just gobs of grunt. Charging sucks admittedly time wise and range is not quite there yet. If you have $125k to light on Fire look at a Bollinger...wow! I think it is crazy expensive but that might help you bound your decision.

The Tundra is running a proven drivetrain. The F150 is newish in the series and as you noted twin turbos are expensive to fix. They need strict adherence to maintenance schedules.

Maybe your old ride is good enough. An engine rebuild is surely less than a new rig. I have a Toyota with 285K miles and enough money in a jar to pull the engine and rebuild...that’s equal to one year of truck payments.

Dalko43

Explorer
Kinda like Toyota leaving 2007 Rav4 owners high and dry after their engines died. Or when they knowingly put a flawed transmission in the 2007 Camry. How about the 2016 Tacoma tranny problems? Speaking of Tacomas, climb a steep hill and watch what happens to the oil pressure. Lets not forget the Tundra accelerator failures. Oh...oh...how about the Scion XD seats that slid forward during an accident? Lets not forget about the first gen Tundra paint/brakes/transmission issues.

I hate to be the one to tell ya...buuuut Toyota is far from blameless and definitely not perfect.

You're comparing exceptions to the norm...the 6.0l and 6.4l were well known problems; Ford itself knew about them, hence why they moved away from those designs. Still no fix offered from the factory.

That's a bit different from some Tacoma's burning oil on a steep incline a random Camry having some transmission issues. The only big issues that are even remotely comparable to the Powerstroke fiasco in terms of quantity or severity would be the rotting frames and sticking accelerator pedals...both of which Toyota addressed.

Dalko43

Explorer
a LOT of assumptions and projection in this post. And a bit to rose colored on the glasses with regard to Toyota's willingness to correct the frame issues. They really had no choice - it was a liability.

Every brand has issues. period. Few brands have the same issues that Toyota has had in the last 20 years, specifically related to the truck and SUV problems. But so few people are willing to be objective about this that it turns into a fanboy whining match.

And yet the market still considers those "less reliable" Toyota's more valuable compared to domestics on the used market....the market doesn't lie.

If Toyota's reputation for reliability were truly a facade, the average consumer wouldn't have such a high willingness to pay for those new and used Toyota's.

And I still find it laughable that people like you and @Jnich77 are going to try and argue that Toyota is any way comparable to Ford, GM and FCA in terms of reliability. Again, go look at what each model and year has listed on the NHSTA website for any of the last 5-6 years...look at the quantity and type of recalls and TSB's. For all the grief you're giving me for relying on anecdotal BS, you two sure seem reluctant to analyze and acknowledge what is seemingly one of the least biased sources out there for brand reliability.

Dalko43

Explorer
Just compared my trucks maintenance
schedule to the Tundra, Silverado, and Titan.... you 100% wrong.

My previous 3.5 went 170k with oil changes every 5 k and one set of spark plugs. That was the only maintenance it received.

So... I'll ask again, what exactly it maintenance hungry about either EcoBoost? ? ? ?

170k is nothing nowadays. This is the day and age where certain brands of gasoline trucks are known for going 400k-500k miles...with extreme examples making it as far as 1 million miles.

Try owning your 3.5l for longer next time and let us know how well it holds up.

rajacat

And yet the market still considers those "less reliable" Toyota's more valuable compared to domestics on the used market....the market doesn't lie.

If Toyota's reputation for reliability were truly a facade, the average consumer wouldn't have such a high willingness to pay for those new and used Toyota's.

And I still find it laughable that people like you and @Jnich77 are going to try and argue that Toyota is any way comparable to Ford, GM and FCA in terms of reliability. Again, go look at what each model and year has listed on the NHSTA website for any of the last 5-6 years...look at the quantity and type of recalls and TSB's. For all the grief you're giving me for relying on anecdotal BS, you two sure seem reluctant to analyze and acknowledge what is seemingly one of the least biased sources out there for brand reliability.
Why don't you go and do all the research yourself and report your findings back here complete with footnotes and charts?

D

Deleted member 9101

170k is nothing nowadays. This is the day and age where certain brands of gasoline trucks are known for going 400k-500k miles...with extreme examples making it as far as 1 million miles.

Try owning your 3.5l for longer next time and let us know how well it holds up.

Fleet vehicle, I had zero choice when it was turned in.

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes. And the EcoBoost nonsense is much the same. How many times has that been re- done now?

It turns out if you try to make a faux Porsche turbo it is just as quirky and maintenance hungry as, well, a Porsche...

Still waiting for proof to back up this claim.

D

Deleted member 9101

And yet the market still considers those "less reliable" Toyota's more valuable compared to domestics on the used market.

And I still find it laughable that people like you and @Jnich77 are going to try and argue that Toyota is any way comparable to Ford, GM and FCA in terms of reliability.

1. Statistically, speaking, Toyota is only marginally more reliable than Ford.

2. Saying that Toyota is "more reliable" in no way means that Ford is unreliable.

3. The "market" is relying on Toyotas reputation from two decades ago.

4. Toyota isn't gods gift to the automotive world....unless you like to pay tomorrows prices for yesterdays vehicles. Their vehicles are antiquated relics, revered by people who refuse to accept advancement in the automotive world.

5. Welcome to the ignore list.

bkg

Explorer

Why do people like you get so emotionally wrapped up in a brand? Chill out. Relax. You'll live longer.

D

Deleted member 9101

Dude, Dalko43 isn't the only person in this thread you need to quote and say that to, the ford troll is totally wrapped up not just in his brand but his one favorite model.

How about this: instead of yet again resulting to childish name calling you prove me wrong? Unless of course you can't and that's why you resort to third grade insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Yes. And the EcoBoost nonsense is much the same. How many times has that been re- done now?

It turns out if you try to make a faux Porsche turbo it is just as quirky and maintenance hungry as, well, a Porsche...

Bro... Where is your proof? Still awaiting your answer. I know you have seen this thread since posting this... So where... Is... Your...Proof?

Oh wait... I know the reason you won't answer...ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG! ! !

I have a deal for you. Admit that you flat out and intentionally lied and I will never respond to you again. Sound fair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles