Monty the 3rd Gen Montero

wolfdog

Great pictures, looks like you have a bit more droop on the front.
Do you think total chaos could also make lower control arms from the measurements they took off yours, or were they only looking at the upper arms?

jim

ChrisCosta416

Great pictures, looks like you have a bit more droop on the front.
Do you think total chaos could also make lower control arms from the measurements they took off yours, or were they only looking at the upper arms?

jim

I have a few more inches of travel in the front now! I think for right now they are only making upper arms. Total chaos makes mid travel and long travel kits for other trucks, but our vehicles have no aftermarket Longer CVs available. I’m sure with enough interest they would do it

wolfdog

I have a few more inches of travel in the front now! I think for right now they are only making upper arms. Total chaos makes mid travel and long travel kits for other trucks, but our vehicles have no aftermarket Longer CVs available. I’m sure with enough interest they would do it
Sounds Good I have been hatching a plan for longer arms another way, but people like total chaos have been doing it a long time there way for a good reason. I had thought sway-away may have been able to make some custom axle shafts I haven't asked yet though.

Jim

ChrisCosta416

Soooo as soon as I get everything installed, I found out my left lower brake line was rubbing against my wheel :( Details below

Just wanted to give Gen3 owners a heads up if you plan on buying the SAFEBRAKE extended braided brake lines for your Montero.
(Product code -MP-NP.02.2IN)

The front left side lower line seems to be a bit too long. (Note: this is the extended kit and I do have a 2 inch lift)

The front left lower line ended up rubbing on my wheel (which sits out 25mm FURTHER than the OEM Montero wheels) and the plastic coating and some of the braiding came off.

I have reached out to safebrake to request a replacement line and discuss shortening the line. (NOTE: Yes I do have the proto-type Total Chaos upper control arms but those do not seem to be the issue and the brake line bracket is almost in the exact same place)

My current way to fix this is by a zip tie! Thanks Leo! - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pajero-NM-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_8620.JPGIMG_8622.JPGIMG_8639.JPG

ChrisCosta416

BUT I DO HAVE SOME AWESOME NEWS I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE.

I picked up my GFC Camper today from RIGd supply in SoCal.

I ended own working with a machinist to create a solution to work with the Front Runner slats I have - I wish it would sit a bit lower but right now its at 7ft.

The tent feels really sturdy buuuut I needed more aggressive brake pads now!

IMG_8636-2.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Time for carbon brakes, the most grabby powerstop pads are pretty hard core. I've enjoyed them.

ChrisCosta416

Took the monty out for a little shakedown test today, 50 miles of trails. Currently testing the new Total Chaos UCA and re-designed Kings. Smooth as butter and felt very controlled. Also wanted to see how my GFC RTT custom mounting solution faired over all the bumps, handled it well! Pretty sure I am the first Montero with a GFC :)

DSC00258.jpgDSC00289.jpgDSC00308.jpgDSC00321.jpg

ChrisCosta416

Welp, I was driving to Chai in Van Nuys on Saturday (just to chill) and on my way down the 405 South (The hill that leads into Van Nuys) I lost almost all pressure on my brakes as my pedal went to the floor.

Thankfully I did not get into an accident and some pressure came back as I limped it to Chai. I believe there is a large amount of air in the lines or HBB. My motor is still running which is great.

Shoutout to @SONICMASD, Marcus, and others for pointing me in the right direction. I will try the Mitsu PROPER bleed procedure tomorrow. This doc by @nckwltn is very informative - https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...lic-brake-booster-hbb-failure-and-fix.167882/

If all goes well tomorrow stay tuned as I try to install some extended sway bar links to return the swaybar angle to the factory specs.

nckwltn

Explorer
for the record, I was able to bleed the brakes using normal methods after my HBB motor failed. Car seemed to stop just as well as it did before I removed and repaired the motor in the HBB. I'm sure the mitsu procedure would be best, but not sure how much better it could have gotten.

ChrisCosta416

for the record, I was able to bleed the brakes using normal methods after my HBB motor failed. Car seemed to stop just as well as it did before I removed and repaired the motor in the HBB. I'm sure the mitsu procedure would be best, but not sure how much better it could have gotten.

Good to know! Thanks!

ChrisCosta416

Well, I am still having brake issues. Recent brake work includes new stainless steel brake lines. Symptom: A few weeks after having the stainless steel brake lines installed - When I apply the brake at first it feels normal. Then when I let off the brake halfway and press down again the pedal gets weaker and gets closer to the floor. When I continue to press halfway the pedal eventually drops to the floor. So I apply brakes, let up halfway, apply brakes again and eventually the pedal will bottom out. Attempted fixes:
  • Bled the brakes multiple times the proper Mitsu way using a MUTIII Scanner
  • Verified brake booster electric motor is working - diagnosed per Mitsu FSM
  • checked for codes - no codes or warning
After talking with Chai and other owners on Facebook myself and others believe the issue is the seals in the master cylinder are failing. The seals blew due to either A) increase of pressure of the braided brake lines B) Brake bleeding finally busting the already worn seals C) Age

I could go with a reman or rebuilt one but all the units on Ebay don't really sound promising. Since when was a "dusted unit, parts replaced" considered remanufacturing? Craigslist seems to have dozens on people who are willing to work on them but only list being able to work on 01-02.

Because this unit is so critical to my safety and the safety of others, I bit the bullet and bought the whole HBB unit which includes a new pump as well...
Total cost is 1,515.38 for MR569728. I doubt the unit will come before Thanksgiving so I will be spending my few days off just chilling. Super bummed but it comes with ownership of any 15+ year old car.

On the bright side I installed my SuperPro swaybar links (front and rear) - After some research I measured my friends near stock Montero to try and match the swaybar angle of his with mine. Stockish angle is 13 degrees, mine went from 35 to 22 degrees. I am not sure I will see/feel any noticeable improvements.

IMG_8772.JPGIMG_8773.JPG

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Bummer on the brakes, glad you're okay. Really curious on the sway bar angle since i run one now and have 4" of lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles