F150 vs Tundra....I’ll make a decision tomorrow

FJR Colorado

Explorer
The big 3 also tend to come out with "revolutionary new features" which get abandoned along the way. Over the years you'll see things like 4-wheel steering, aluminum beds, all-new tailgates, etc. and then when these things implode, they are filed away in the trash.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I would much rather have a 30 year old truck rust out than a new truck spontaneously combust while driving with the family!:ROFLMAO:
View attachment 552682
View attachment 552683

Fords seem to have more horror stories than all others combined.

It will be interesting to see where Chrysler goes. I have zero confidence in Fiat or Chrysler but HUGE regard for Peugot and French engineering in general.

D

Deleted member 9101

The big 3 also tend to come out with "revolutionary new features" which get abandoned along the way. Over the years you'll see things like 4-wheel steering, aluminum beds, all-new tailgates, etc. and then when these things implode, they are filed away in the trash.

At least they are willing to try something new...Toyota keeps selling the same antiquated stuff and charging a premium price for it.

Dalko43

Explorer

Again...Toyota owned up to the issue and replaced the frames.

Remind me again...did Ford ever do anything for those 6.0 Powerstroke owners? Oh no....that's right, they left them high and dry and came out with a new 6.4l diesel, and when that one had issues they replaced it with a new 6.7l diesel.

Dalko43

Explorer
Considering its the best selling fullsize truck...that is to be expected.

Actually if its "best-selling" you'd expect it would be the opposite...less issues and less complaints. Ford's marketing and generation changes certainly have some benefit.

Go look at NHTSA to see how many recalls and TSB's exist for each brand/vehicle.

D

Deleted member 9101

Remind me again...did Ford ever do anything for those 6.0 Powerstroke owners? Oh no....that's right, they left them high and dry and came out with a new 6.4l diesel, and when that one had issues they replaced it with a new 6.7l diesel.

Kinda like Toyota leaving 2007 Rav4 owners high and dry after their engines died. Or when they knowingly put a flawed transmission in the 2007 Camry. How about the 2016 Tacoma tranny problems? Speaking of Tacomas, climb a steep hill and watch what happens to the oil pressure. Lets not forget the Tundra accelerator failures. Oh...oh...how about the Scion XD seats that slid forward during an accident? Lets not forget about the first gen Tundra paint/brakes/transmission issues.

I hate to be the one to tell ya...buuuut Toyota is far from blameless and definitely not perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bkg
D

Deleted member 9101

Remind us...how does the Tundra compare in crash test ratings to the F150? I seem to remember the Tundra being rated one of the worst in overall safety...

FJR Colorado

Explorer

Yes. And the EcoBoost nonsense is much the same. How many times has that been re- done now?

It turns out if you try to make a faux Porsche turbo it is just as quirky and maintenance hungry as, well, a Porsche...

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes. And the EcoBoost nonsense is much the same. How many times has that been re- done now?

It turns out if you try to make a faux Porsche turbo it is just as quirky and maintenance hungry as, well, a Porsche...

Exactly what is quirky and maintenance hungry about the EcoBoost? Please be specific.

Also, what is nonsensical about the EcoBoost? The are only two generations of the 3.5 and 2.7, the major difference being the addition of dual injection.

D

Deleted member 9101

Just compared my trucks maintenance
schedule to the Tundra, Silverado, and Titan.... you 100% wrong.

My previous 3.5 went 170k with oil changes every 5 k and one set of spark plugs. That was the only maintenance it received.

So... I'll ask again, what exactly it maintenance hungry about either EcoBoost? ? ? ?

bkg

Explorer
That's literally the one example the Ford, FCA and GM fanboys like to point to...yes the frame rot was a big deal, no one will dispute that.

The difference between Toyota and the domestics is that Toyota went out of its way to replace all the bad frames, and arguably even some that weren't bad, to uphold its reputation and make good on its product. Why don't you go talk to 6.0 Powerstroke owners or Ram 1500 and 2500 owners who have had longterm transmission issues...go see how they fared on their truck ownership experience. Crappy dealership experience and bad warranty coverage is well known with many of the domestics...and I'll take a few less mpg's and slightly outdated interior any day of the week if it means that I don't have to haggle with some service rep over why my vehicle won't get fixed.

Part of the reason the domestics change 2-3 generations for every 1 generation of Toyota is that they want customers to keep buying new trucks rather than hang onto them for 6-10 years and see how shoddy the build quality is. Also these "generational" changes really don't change the vehicles that much...same basic architecture with some slightly new interior tech, and different body panels. The brand new F-150 and Ram 1500 is remarkably similar to the 'aged' Tundra in terms of underlying platform design...the people who tip their nose at the Tundra because its a dinosaur focus on the superficial appearances and amenities rather than the chassis components.

a LOT of assumptions and projection in this post. And a bit to rose colored on the glasses with regard to Toyota's willingness to correct the frame issues. They really had no choice - it was a liability.

Every brand has issues. period. Few brands have the same issues that Toyota has had in the last 20 years, specifically related to the truck and SUV problems. But so few people are willing to be objective about this that it turns into a fanboy whining match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles