2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.0L EcoDiesel

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Going through the diesel package in a little more detail now that the configuration is online....

You also get the rear limited slip differential included ( a $600 option in other trim packages )

I am also seeing something about 'heavy duty brakes' with 'larger pads' listed.

3.73 gears included

Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 5800lbs ( in the Sport )

GB_Willys_2014

Well equipped how? You can get a sport diesel for under 40K that comes with the Diesel engine, heavy duty 8 speed automatic upgrade ( 8HP75 ), and front and rear Dana 44 axles.

If you want fluffy stuff like a fancy stereo or heated seats, I guess the price could creep up on you.

The Sport Diesel package is the deal of the century in my opinion. You really don't need the 4:1 transfer case with the 8spd automatic, especially with the diesel. It's like getting most of the good stuff from the Rubicon package ( plus diesel ) for half price. Adding lockers would be easy in the aftermarket. Heck, I saw an OEM replacement electric locker for the JL series going for $675 new the other day.

I think you are 100% correct here.

I just wonder about reliability; hopefully this third take of the EcoDiesel is reliable.

If so, well this could be very promising.

MOguy

Explorer
I think you are 100% correct here.

I just wonder about reliability; hopefully this third take of the EcoDiesel is reliable.

If so, well this could be very promising.

Lots of sensors on a vehicle that is supposed to be designed for off-roading and harsher environments.

I'm not going to say we should all be running carbureted motor but keeping electronics minimal I would think would be more reliable and if nothing else at least more maintainable.

I know all these connections are waterproof but over time they heat up, they shake, they cool down, they vibrate and eventually going to start to become not as watertight.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Lots of sensors on a vehicle that is supposed to be designed for off-roading and harsher environments.

I'm not going to say we should all be running carbureted motor but keeping electronics minimal I would think would be more reliable and if nothing else at least more maintainable.

I know all these connections are waterproof but over time they heat up, they shake, they cool down, they vibrate and eventually going to start to become not as watertight.

You know OEMs spend millions and millions of dollars testing this stuff right? I love a good old carb as much as the next guy, I have even invented modifications to make them work better off-road, but electronic fuel injection has been around a long long time now.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A few articles starting to pop up...

Unofficially......28mpg in mixed driving......

MOguy

Explorer
You know OEMs spend millions and millions of dollars testing this stuff right? I love a good old carb as much as the next guy, I have even invented modifications to make them work better off-road, but electronic fuel injection has been around a long long time now.

I've been off roading my Jeep since I bought it, the first Monday in February 2001 after I returned home from a deployment. I've been with with all sorts of people. I never remember the problems with TJ's and Y J's that we now have with people and their JKs. I don't think I have wheeled much with JLs.

Here is a post that list Wrangler complaints. You will see more complaints with newer ones.

Low predicted reliability.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've been off roading my Jeep since I bought it, the first Monday in February 2001 after I returned home from a deployment. I've been with with all sorts of people. I never remember the problems with TJ's and Y J's that we now have with people and their JKs. I don't think I have wheeled much with JLs.

Here is a post that list Wrangler complaints. You will see more complaints with newer ones.

Low predicted reliability.

The best year sales for the TJ platform was about 90k units. The JK and now JL are now doing over 240k units per year.
They are honestly having a hard time keeping up with the demand. I do think this has some impact.

The other interesting thing is that we are getting a completely different demographic driving the wrangler. I think this brought some expectations about what the vehicle should be in regards to fit, finish, NVH, etc.

I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are not THAT bad honestly.

MOguy

Explorer
The best year sales for the TJ platform was about 90k units. The JK and now JL are now doing over 240k units per year.
They are honestly having a hard time keeping up with the demand. I do think this has some impact.

The other interesting thing is that we are getting a completely different demographic driving the wrangler. I think this brought some expectations about what the vehicle should be in regards to fit, finish, NVH, etc.

I'm not saying they are perfect, but they are not THAT bad honestly.

No doubt they're selling them, chicks love them.

Jeep has finally made it Wranglers that can work as a family vehicle.

I didn't want a YJ because they road ruff, people wanted a better ride and along comes the TJ. People wanted more room and bells and whistles and along comes the JK. People want more and along comes the JK. I get it, BUT look at the page I posted. There are more late model Wranglers with as many or more complaints the Wranglers that are decades older. I understand there are more new ones around, the web and that page were not around back then so this isn't the best source but as I see people with newer ones and the web discussions it seems they have more of electrical problems. More than those I know driving 15 year old plus Wranglers.

Chrysler is providing what the market wants and is being rewarded with sales, good for them. Even the newest Wrangler is GREAT off road. In stock from probably better than ever. BUT, Let's see how many are on the road 20 years from now.

I just got a 19 Canary. Rides great, excellent JBL stereo, 40 mpg, glass roof and all sorts of cool stuff than older Camarys didn't have and I bet it won't last as long as the older ones. I do appreciate all the niceties and the comfort in the camera. It is my wife's primary driver and the family go here in their car. I just did the Jeep as more of the Rough and Ready take a beating go anywhere vehicle and I really. I suppose many want a do it all vehicle.

I am not anti new jeep, I just would like less bells, whistles and systems that could go down.

When the check engine light goes on my Jeep, on rare occasions, it is because I didn't tighten fuel cap down. When the CEL goes on in the new ones sometimes the sway bar won't reconnect, sometimes the steering is screwed up, sometimes they can barely move, or not move at all.

The bigger and better has its place but these new Wranglers with a basic limited slip could go further than almost anybody would ever take them, why electronic traction action control? those who push it further probably don't want the electronic traction control, those who don't woul never miss it

Back in the day it was people with broken Dana 35s that slowed us down, now it is check engine lights and happens far more frequent.

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

No doubt they're selling them, chicks love them.

Jeep has finally made it Wranglers that can work as a family vehicle.

I didn't want a YJ because they road ruff, people wanted a better ride and along comes the TJ. People wanted more room and bells and whistles and along comes the JK. People want more and along comes the JK. I get it, BUT look at the page I posted. There are more late model Wranglers with as many or more complaints the Wranglers that are decades older. I understand there are more new ones around, the web and that page were not around back then so this isn't the best source but as I see people with newer ones and the web discussions it seems they have more of electrical problems. More than those I know driving 15 year old plus Wranglers.

Chrysler is providing what the market wants and is being rewarded with sales, good for them. Even the newest Wrangler is GREAT off road. In stock from probably better than ever. BUT, Let's see how many are on the road 20 years from now.

I just got a 19 Canary. Rides great, excellent JBL stereo, 40 mpg, glass roof and all sorts of cool stuff than older Camarys didn't have and I bet it won't last as long as the older ones. I do appreciate all the niceties and the comfort in the camera. It is my wife's primary driver and the family go here in their car. I just did the Jeep as more of the Rough and Ready take a beating go anywhere vehicle and I really. I suppose many want a do it all vehicle.

I am not anti new jeep, I just would like less bells, whistles and systems that could go down.

When the check engine light goes on my Jeep, on rare occasions, it is because I didn't tighten fuel cap down. When the CEL goes on in the new ones sometimes the sway bar won't reconnect, sometimes the steering is screwed up, sometimes they can barely move, or not move at all.

The bigger and better has its place but these new Wranglers with a basic limited slip could go further than almost anybody would ever take them, why electronic traction action control? those who push it further probably don't want the electronic traction control, those who don't woul never miss it

Back in the day it was people with broken Dana 35s that slowed us down, now it is check engine lights and happens far more frequent.
We are at the risk of going OT, but I want to mention that the CarComplaint page you cite above lists the horrible plastic oil cooler as the primary complaint on 2014 Wranglers (I didn't look at all years, admittedly).

Mine has yet to go; notice, I fully expect it to fail. It barring that, I will replace it with the latest greatest (AF) upgrade in the next year or so when I have to replace sparkplugs.

So, my thoughts on this horribly constructed oil cooler... plastic, ugh.

- Is it a sign of poor quality, and false economy. IMHO, absolutely.

- Did FCA and dealerships treat customers poorly, and make a bad situation worse. IMHO, no doubt about it.

- Is it a catastrophic failure; is it a deal killer? IMHO, no. I will replace it when it fails or my 90k service, whatever comes first.

- Is it a PITA, yup. But so was the 90k replacement cycle of the timing-belt/water-pump on my Tundra 4.7 engine.

Ultimately, there are worse horror stories about engine and vehicle platforms.

Back to my old Tundra with the 4.7. Absolutely loved, LOVED that truck ... but it had the rot. For me, that was catastrophic.

Wow Lots of opinions but who of you is driving a jl? I am and have driven jeeps all my life since my first 1977 golden eagle 304 v8 cj7. The jkur was light years ahead of the tj and the jkur is light years beyond that. I had to add a 4 inch lift to run 315 70 17 on my jkur admittedly it had the. 3.8. Butas underpowered as it was the motor was pretty darn good. I sold it for 11000 with a 175k on it ever let me down or left me stranded even with a blown intake gasket around 150k. Still the jlur is even better.

And yes I have heated seats leather heated steering wheel nav and the 8.4 Uconnect steel bumper winch ready heavy duty alternatortow pack factory led sand aux switch tow package. So how does it all work just fantastic I flew from San Diego to idaho in May of 2018 picked it drove it back got caught in a snow storm over devils pass on 395 at about 7900 feet. Got out to play in the snow got back in the jeep and the heated seats and steering wheel automatically turn. Go ahead call me a snowflake! Smile while you say it.

Last week I was in the sierras looking for some solitude. But I was hunting season so the dirt roads were filled with f150s and the like towing travel trailers. It was in a word a zoo. I was using a Magellan explorist ( it is as bad as they say but it was cheap) and the nav I My jeep the jeep nav showed this high mtn lake. With only one trail to it. I figured ok I’ll head there. Turns that wasn’t much of a trail at all just a very tight very rocky stream bed through the woods. I was seriously asking my self can I make it? What if I get stuck or break? I thought about Turning around but it was too tight too many trees and big rocks. So I put it low disconnected the sway bar. (Automatic.) and crawled on. Heard some pretty hard bangs had to use he rear locker a time or two and ended up on the shore of high Sierra lake. Alone. Solitude! My old jkur would have made it but with drama.
My old tacoma 07 with locker, nope it would still be there. My lifted series 100 land cruise with center and rear lockers not so sure. No pickups could do it The point is the jkur is really really good. And until you own one and explore areas you never have been you won’t really know just how good good is. Here is the thing it is ready to go factory direct. I put on 315 70 17 basically a small 35 with no lift. The jeep was designed for it. I Added a super winch10k exp rock sliders-steps . The aux package is pre wired to run lights or anything that requires power so while I spent 10k on th jkur to get to the same point on the jkur cost about 1kthe motor is fine.
So would a diesel with more power heavier trans slightly bigger axels be better ? Yes for the range only though.by the way the axels on the jlur are larger than the jkur and the diesels even more so.
My point is the jeep jlur is excellent as is no 4:1 Low is not too low the death wobble was a limited thing and not a true death wobble more of a shimmy. Jeep replaced the steering stabilizer on the ones that needed it mine did not IMHO

MOguy

Explorer
Wow Lots of opinions but who of you is driving a jl? I am and have driven jeeps all my life since my first 1977 golden eagle 304 v8 cj7. The jkur was light years ahead of the tj and the jkur is light years beyond that. I had to add a 4 inch lift to run 315 70 17 on my jkur admittedly it had the. 3.8. Butas underpowered as it was the motor was pretty darn good. I sold it for 11000 with a 175k on it ever let me down or left me stranded even with a blown intake gasket around 150k. Still the jlur is even better.

And yes I have heated seats leather heated steering wheel nav and the 8.4 Uconnect steel bumper winch ready heavy duty alternatortow pack factory led sand aux switch tow package. So how does it all work just fantastic I flew from San Diego to idaho in May of 2018 picked it drove it back got caught in a snow storm over devils pass on 395 at about 7900 feet. Got out to play in the snow got back in the jeep and the heated seats and steering wheel automatically turn. Go ahead call me a snowflake! Smile while you say it.

Last week I was in the sierras looking for some solitude. But I was hunting season so the dirt roads were filled with f150s and the like towing travel trailers. It was in a word a zoo. I was using a Magellan explorist ( it is as bad as they say but it was cheap) and the nav I My jeep the jeep nav showed this high mtn lake. With only one trail to it. I figured ok I’ll head there. Turns that wasn’t much of a trail at all just a very tight very rocky stream bed through the woods. I was seriously asking my self can I make it? What if I get stuck or break? I thought about Turning around but it was too tight too many trees and big rocks. So I put it low disconnected the sway bar. (Automatic.) and crawled on. Heard some pretty hard bangs had to use he rear locker a time or two and ended up on the shore of high Sierra lake. Alone. Solitude! My old jkur would have made it but with drama.
My old tacoma 07 with locker, nope it would still be there. My lifted series 100 land cruise with center and rear lockers not so sure. No pickups could do it The point is the jkur is really really good. And until you own one and explore areas you never have been you won’t really know just how good good is. Here is the thing it is ready to go factory direct. I put on 315 70 17 basically a small 35 with no lift. The jeep was designed for it. I Added a super winch10k exp rock sliders-steps . The aux package is pre wired to run lights or anything that requires power so while I spent 10k on th jkur to get to the same point on the jkur cost about 1kthe motor is fine.
So would a diesel with more power heavier trans slightly bigger axels be better ? Yes for the range only though.by the way the axels on the jlur are larger than the jkur and the diesels even more so.
My point is the jeep jlur is excellent as is no 4:1 Low is not too low the death wobble was a limited thing and not a true death wobble more of a shimmy. Jeep replaced the steering stabilizer on the ones that needed it mine did not IMHO

There have been allot of advancements but that doesn't mean they are more or less "superior" to older systems, just simpler to drive. Out of the box the new wranglers are probably more capable then ever. We will see in 20 years how it is still working. Maybe I am cynical but back in my younger days when my friend and got TJs and YJs and other than oil changes and self inflicted damage or modifications we weren't dealing with the problems that plague many today. My friends for, whatever reason, have always been Jeepers. We had the discussions about the new TJs were real Jeeps and will have problems just like today but the only difference was the TJs didn't have allot of problems. We didn't spend much time chasing down problems like we do today. I friends with older TJs and YJs still aren't spending as much time as those with the newer wranglers.

As far as wobbles or even death wobbles. That will never end with heavier front solid axle vehicles with coil springs, you just have to make more of an effort to keep up with it. This is even an issue with TJs but I think because they are lighter it is less of an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles