Drivers Side Camper Entry???

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Planning next build (think DIY Budget Earthroamer), and curious on something.

Generally i travel solo, seems almost every single custom camper i see has the entry door on the passenger side.

Any particular reason no one installs them on the drivers side? Seems not having to walk around the entire rig to enter it would be kinda cool and useful.

Is there something i am missing here?

Ive read some a couple things that state various laws it must be on the passenger side, but cant find any said laws to back up those claims.

Thanks

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The obvious drawback to a street-side entry door being that it would be hard to verify the lane was clear before opening it into traffic. With a car door, you can generally check the mirror and/or look over your shoulder, but with a typical RV door, you wouldn't have a lot of visibility...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The obvious drawback to a street-side entry door being that it would be hard to verify the lane was clear before opening it into traffic. With a car door, you can generally check the mirror and/or look over your shoulder, but with a typical RV door, you wouldn't have a lot of visibility...

Thanks, i've read this in several places.

Im not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but ive never, and can think of a scenario in which, i would be entering/exiting the camper in traffic.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Im not trying to be a wiseguy or anything, but ive never, and can think of a scenario in which, i would be entering/exiting the camper in traffic.

Do you never plan to park on the street? Make a sandwich? Retrieve an item from inside, etc.? If your answer is legitimately that you will never need to enter the camper module while the vehicle is parked on a normal street, then you are in a very slim minority. That is why they're usually on the curb-side.

I mean, it's your camper, so do what works for you, but you asked if there were any particular reason nobody puts the main door on the street side, and that's the reason: Most people desire the ability to access the camper while parked parallel to the street/curb.

deoc4114

From a more practical standpoint, most campsites are setup so you back in, hook up on the driver's side rear-ish and the living area of the campsite is on the passenger side.
Granted, if you don't plan on using prepared sites ever/often that might not matter either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Do you never plan to park on the street? Make a sandwich? Retrieve an item from inside, etc.? If your answer is legitimately that you will never need to enter the camper module while the vehicle is parked on a normal street, then you are in a very slim minority. That is why they're usually on the curb-side.

I mean, it's your camper, so do what works for you, but you asked if there were any particular reason nobody puts the main door on the street side, and that's the reason: Most people desire the ability to access the camper while parked parallel to the street/curb.

Valid points and makes sense. Thanks

Yeah, the next build will be a little too big to park on the street :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
From a more practical standpoint, most campsites are setup so you back in, hook up on the driver's side rear-ish and the living area of the campsite is on the passenger side.
Granted, if you don't plan on using prepared sites ever/often that might not matter either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ah, thanks, I honestly didn’t even think about that. Valid points for sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles