New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The more I look at the new Luxury Defender the more I see 2 opposing designs philosophies. The rear of the new Defender is squarish, functional, meant for utility. The front is the outcome of regulation, smooth and bland and looking more like Disney than Defender. It's as if two different designers with completely different thinking were given the design of the front and rear. I have to wonder if McGovern is happy with this disconnect. Maybe the front end will grow on me but currently I'm headed in the opposite direction. Hopefully the aftermarket can solve the issue.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
JLR designers aren't the only ones creating bipolar designs.

19_honda_ridgeline_awd_00300.jpg

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
The more I look at the new Luxury Defender the more I see 2 opposing designs philosophies. The rear of the new Defender is squarish, functional, meant for utility. The front is the outcome of regulation, smooth and bland and looking more like Disney than Defender. It's as if two different designers with completely different thinking were given the design of the front and rear. I have to wonder if McGovern is happy with this disconnect. Maybe the front end will grow on me but currently I'm headed in the opposite direction. Hopefully the aftermarket can solve the issue.

I don't see two opposing design philosophies. I see the front being safer if you hit a pedestrian (i.e. = function), and I see the rear as aimed at practicality (= function). I don't use the front of a vehicle to load up, attach and remove things to constantly or otherwise need a particular shape in the front to "do stuff".
Modern vehicles also have crumble zones - and not only to protect a pedestrian you might hit, but mostly because it protects the occupants. I'm not sure I'd do without those either all in the name of making it look more "utilitarian".

Edit: I just realised that the slope might also keep the led headlights free of slush, snow, and mud as opposed to round LED lights inset into a brick front. Took a closer look: Looks like they're still inset a bit, so I guess it might be close to a wash.

Last edited:

soflorovers

The front end is my least favorite portion of the new Defender. Fortunately, it appears that the OEM bullbar will rectify many of those issues IMO. I'm not celebrating quite yet, but my biggest issue with the front of the new D110 is the curvature, and the new bar appears to create a much more square appearance.

1573844836178.png1573844851841.png

mpinco

Expedition Leader
My experience with OEM bullbars is that they are cheap, fab'd from thin metal. That said, there is hope since the mount points are there. Actually a whole new front clip would be preferable as that would address the Disney look.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Pedestrian regulation has been of limited success and may actually be contributing to deaths. The slope of the front ends simply launches the pedestrian higher in the air. The end result, the secondary impact of hitting the ground/tree/lampole is the 'killer'. Kind of like the latest craze in baseball stats, launch angle.

The real issue at least here are the homeless who are mentally ill, drugged or drunk or all all of the above stepping directly into traffic. The highest pedestrian/vehicle incident rate correlates with high local homeless density. But we are off topic other than regulation having unintended consequences and limited effectiveness.

Edit add: The other category for pedestrian stats is ............. cell phones, drivers not paying attention. Where are we headed with that 'feature'? More technology to distract the driver.

JeepColorado

Agree; it looks disconnected. I like the back, but the front is terrible in my opinion. Nothing a classic-style ARB Front Bumper wouldn't fix!

blackangie

The more I look at the new Luxury Defender the more I see 2 opposing designs philosophies. The rear of the new Defender is squarish, functional, meant for utility. The front is the outcome of regulation

Nailed it.

Its actually quite flat on the front but curves at the top and sides, even winch has cover to be pedestrian friendly.

As you say when people understand that regs depicted some of the look, the whole car makes sense, it really must have been a tough job.

I don't mind it from factory and I know it will look better in person, that's what people that actually have seen it say. But agree aftermarket will no doubt come to the party.

3476d940fdad5602e897d6efda21a0a0.jpg

blackangie

The front end is my least favorite portion of the new Defender. Fortunately, it appears that the OEM bullbar will rectify many of those issues IMO. I'm not celebrating quite yet, but my biggest issue with the front of the new D110 is the curvature, and the new bar appears to create a much more square appearance.

View attachment 550585View attachment 550586
It will be an AU bullbar, however I'm sure there will be a way to attain it, via 3rd parties as its a dealer fit item.
14be3216e57c56f15aa9662b9526dfa4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

My experience with OEM bullbars is that they are cheap, fab'd from thin metal. That said, there is hope since the mount points are there. Actually a whole new front clip would be preferable as that would address the Disney look.
50mm tube is not thin metal, most tube bars run this, and you can land a car on it, especially if its braced like this one

blackangie

Pedestrian regulation has been of limited success and may actually be contributing to deaths. The slope of the front ends simply launches the pedestrian higher in the air. The end result, the secondary impact of hitting the ground/tree/lampole is the 'killer'. Kind of like the latest craze in baseball stats, launch angle.

The real issue at least here are the homeless who are mentally ill, drugged or drunk or all all of the above stepping directly into traffic. The highest pedestrian/vehicle incident rate correlates with high local homeless density. But we are off topic other than regulation having unintended consequences and limited effectiveness.

Edit add: The other category for pedestrian stats is ............. cell phones, drivers not paying attention. Where are we headed with that 'feature'? More technology to distract the driver.
Any stats or links to back this up, not that it matters, if its true regs will change in time.

Limited success, is success where lives are concerned.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
It will be an AU bullbar, however I'm sure there will be a way to attain it, via 3rd parties as its a dealer fit item.
14be3216e57c56f15aa9662b9526dfa4.jpg

That is no bull bar. It will provide zero protection from animal strikes. It's a brush bar, useful for trampling saplings at most. It's also ugly, the way it frames those stupid angry eye headlights and ruinously placed heat exchangers.

blackangie

That is no bull bar. It will provide zero protection from animal strikes. It's a brush bar, useful for trampling saplings at most. It's also ugly, the way it frames those stupid angry eye headlights and ruinously placed heat exchangers.
Someone sounds like an angry child

Zero is false its 50mm tube, it will provide protection, if you hit a bull, no bullbar will save you, crumple zones and airbags do.

Ugly, thats your opinion, imo its very complimentary to the vehicle also prob the only shape they could do from factory due to pedestrian impact etc.

The eyes give it personality, and the seperate coolers which are a necessity for extreme heat are up higher and closer to centre over the disco (i have seen a pic at my dealer, not a prob for off-road), I have 2x separate coolers behind bash plate on my RRC in AU a must for outback or long deep sand travel on 40deg Celsius days.

Come up with a better idea and maybe let LR know

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Facts aren't angry.

It's a brush bar. It will serve its purpose as a brush bar.

It is clearly, to those who understand the difference, not a bull bar. Let's consider a true example of one and quote this very publication:
Unsurprisingly, the biggest benefit of an ARB bumper is improved safety for you and your passengers, which is achieved in three main ways.
  • First and foremost, the reinforced design protects the radiator, engine, and other vital components from damage in the event of an animal strike. This greatly reduces the chance of you being stranded with a disabled vehicle in some remote corner of the world.
  • Second, the bumper is shaped to push an animal or other object underneath and to the sides of the chassis. This discourages any debris from rolling up onto the hood or into the windshield, where it could potentially harm the driver or passenger.

My opinion that it's ugly is not angry. It's just ugly. The angry eyes are not unique. I believe tasteless Jeep owners invented it long ago. I didn't claim heat exchangers are bad. They are ruinously placed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles