*SOLD* 2016 RAM 3500 4x4 w/ XP Camper flatbed and upgrades

hermz

SOLD*

2016 RAM 3500 HD Crew C&C Dually 4x4

-Tradesman pkg. Perfect for intended purpose with rubber floors. Everything you need (Bluetooth, Sirius xm, power everything), nothing you don’t.
-~1200 miles. Had initial service and oil change/recalls performed. Started and driven at least once a month. On battery tender otherwise.
-Cummins Diesel ~750ft lbs torque
-Aisin HD Trans
-Manual shift 4x4
-Stock rated 30k+ lb towing capacity
-Block Heater/Cord
-52 gallon fuel tank
-Max tow pckg (trans coolers)

Upgrades (have receipts)
-Converted to “super-single” from dually. Custom wheels and 35” tires x 5
-Icon 1 ton suspension upgrade (3” lift)
-Custom built 8’ flat bed with removable headache rack and side rails. Became a “complete” vehicle after this with all necessary DOT additions.
-Custom spare tire carrier and storage boxes
-Custom Bushwacker steel front bumper/brush card powder coated black
-LED light bar, spot and fogs controlled by accessory switches inside
-Warn 16k lb winch and controller
-AEV snorkel
-Bushwacker fender flares (front)
-ARB air compressor with air ports on both side storage boxes (includes 2 air up/down hoses & gauges)
-ARB diff breather
-Custom grill
-NoHotWire disabler safety plug

49020068802_026be43132_h.jpg

*SOLD*

Last edited:

hermz

So can I put a flatbed truck camper like a FWC or Hallmark into this or is it designed just for an XP camper?

I have not done a ton of research into this as my intention was to always put an XPCamper on the back, but my understanding is that any flatbed camper like you mentioned should work on this setup assuming the dimensions are in line. Best example I have is shown on the below link:

https://www.savagecamper.com/custom-overland-ram-2500-truck-cummins-diesel/

That one has a FWC camper on an XP tray. I believe it is owned by someone on this forum? Best bet would be to reach out to any camper manufacture you might be interested in and see what they have to say. I would happily provide measurements, pictures or anything else that could be helpful to ensure the application would work.

CCJeep

What is the GVWR and curb weight? Is it registered in CA as a pickup or a commercial truck?
I know CA gets a bit weird with higher GWVR trucks that did not originally come "complete" with a bed that are converted to personal use. Sometimes requiring weight stickers, "not for hire" placards, weigh station stops, extra fees, etc....

hermz

What is the GVWR and curb weight? Is it registered in CA as a pickup or a commercial truck?
I know CA gets a bit weird with higher GWVR trucks that did not originally come "complete" with a bed that are converted to personal use. Sometimes requiring weight stickers, "not for hire" placards, weigh station stops, extra fees, etc....

Good question. I believe this RAM has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. *BUT, this was in the dually form so I am sure the current realized GVWR is less* I weighed the truck as it sits with the spare, headache rack, side rails, 55 gal full and it was right around 8k lbs. So you have about 4-6k lbs of load carrying capacity. California be damned, I wanted to make sure I had the most capable truck possible as I intended to push this thing as much as you can push a 12klb camper truck knowing I had a couple thousands pounds leftover (in theory). I've read too many horror stories about overloaded trucks.

But to answer your question, I never registered this truck in California hence it being so low mile. Based on my research, in California, this truck would be considered a commercial vehicle and therefore would pay a hefty weight fee ~$1200/yr. I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting waiting waiting for my XPCamper to be completed so I could register this thing off jump as a RV. That takes care of all the additional hassles. I have the certificate of origin from FCA (Fiat Chrystler Automobiles) and a Odometer Discolsure/Title Extension Statement Release of Interest from the RAM dealer in Washington to me as well. You would effectively be the first owner. If the new owner wanted to use this truck as a hauler, with the ability to put the camper on then it would need to be registered as a commercial vehicle anyway as you can get it big trouble hauling a load with a RV designation. I have a dealer friend who can help me get this thing registered to the new owner in California, but it would be your choice whether you would want this as a commercial vehicle or an RV. I personally had no intention of taking off the camper (goal was to travel full time), so it never made sense for me to register as commercial. Any other state then California and I assume this would be a non issue. Someone remind me why I live here again? :)

Last edited:

yfarm

Observer
I assume the MSO and odometer statement are in your name and the date of the sale was in 2016 or 17 but the vehicle was never registered? Was sales tax paid in Washington? I ask these questions as in Texas the tax offices start assessing penalties if tax is not paid within 30 days of purchase and if they backdated to the date the MSO was signed over to you could be very substantial. I registered a boat trailer in Florida 8 years after the original purchase that was never registered by the owner in Texas but only needed the MSO and a notarized letter from the owner stating that the trailer was never registered and merely stored.

hermz

I assume the MSO and odometer statement are in your name and the date of the sale was in 2016 or 17 but the vehicle was never registered? Was sales tax paid in Washington? I ask these questions as in Texas the tax offices start assessing penalties if tax is not paid within 30 days of purchase and if they backdated to the date the MSO was signed over to you could be very substantial. I registered a boat trailer in Florida 8 years after the original purchase that was never registered by the owner in Texas but only needed the MSO and a notarized letter from the owner stating that the trailer was never registered and merely stored.

Correct, both are in my name and the sales date was in early 2017. Sales tax was not paid in Washington as the intention was to register the vehicle in California. The vehicle was broken in around Washington under temp registration until the vehicle was shipped to XP Camper in Sacramento in later 2017 for upgrades. The vehicle was then shipped to San Diego waiting for my time for the camper to be installed. I was supposed to have the camper installed at the end of 2017/beg of 2018 and at that moment I was going to register it as an RV. That timeframe turned into later 2018 for a multitude of XP excuses. Then, that turned into April 2019 which as we all know now turned into getting absolutely F&%KED

From California DMV perspective, the vehicle has never been operated in California so could be considered in out-of-state storage. Once the vehicle is operated in California, then you have 20 days to get it registered until penalties applied. Obviously this is a complicated situation that was further complicated by delays and finally the non delivery of my camper. I am willing to work with the new buyer to get this registered in their state even if it means I first need to get it registered in my name here in California and get the sales tax paid at that moment. I just know that an out-of-state buyer will have a much easier time getting it registered and I figured I would offer the bonus of being the first registered owner.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sorry to hear about the crappy situation.

Gorgeous truck and should sell fast.

I am also in San Diego, and looking into building something very similar on a CA108 chassis (5500).

shellb

Adventurer
Damn, sorry to hear about your situation.

Understand wanting move on, but I’m not sure you want to compound everything by giving it away...

Someone is stealing it at that price...

hermz

Damn CA wish i could own this in CA without the headaches

If you plan to register it as an RV its pretty dang easy actually and fairly cheap to renew each year.

The commercial process would be one long day at the DMV but where they really get you is the yearly weight fee. I think it would be about $1000 more a year to register. My understanding is that as long as you only operate only for a personal capacity, you don't have to abide by all the commercial "for-hire" rules. But assuming you have a need to haul 4k lb loads in a 6'x8' flatbed, the utility of the truck could be worth it to pay extra and also be able to add and take off a camper as you please.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles