Comparison shopping: Colorado, Gladiator, Tacoma

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
The diesel engine or something else?
Sounds like he's a fanboy spouting off, because as we know none of the other brands on the market have any troubles!
Thought the portal was going to get better when they banned the super troll, guess nature abhors a vacuum.

jadmt

ignore button user
Karl Tyler Chevy in Missoula has a bunch of Bisons in stock and they had one at the football game with and msrp of $51200 and they were advertising it for $5329 off so $45871. It had the dealer installed power package ie intake and cat back upgrade, Bose system, engine block heater and a few more things.

spectre6000

Observer
I know of people with gas ZR2s, and diesels. No complaints, very pleased 2-3 years in. I looked long and hard at the forums for each of the makes under consideration. All have reliability questions IF you don't filter what you see. Enthusiast forums are typically centered around modifications and personalization. You also always find a healthy dose of repair-related content. With the older vehicles, that's 100% expected. With the newer vehicles, there's a hard lean toward the repair issues because A) people don't EXPECT to have repair issues with new cars (more in a moment), and B) they're still so new people aren't really doing much with them yet be it due to a lack of aftermarket for the first few years of a new model or a desire to preserve warranties.

I've owned a LOT of different cars of most makes and countries of origin. I mentioned earlier in the thread I went through several years trading out cars at least twice a year. One thing I learned in that time is that the first year of ownership dictates the quality of the rest. A lot of people (Toyota seems to have this especially bad, though I'm thinking more on the Camry side than the Tacoma side) seem to be under the impression that new cars don't require any car and feeding beyond putting gas in them... back to point A above, that expectation is not at all in line with reality, so you end up with a solid lean in new car forum content. To wit, as previously mentioned, I looked at the highest traffic forum for each of the models under consideration (I looked at a JL forum or forums for the Gladiator for this purpose since they're mechanically identical and there are no JTs really out there to have problems yet), and it was far and away the Toyota forum showing the most new car repair issues and the Jeep had the fewest. I own a Jeep vicariously (my wife's daily is a JKUR), and I know they're anything but failure proof despite extremes of care and feeding (she POR15'd the frame where the paint was rubbed off between the Dana factory and Jeep's Toledo assembly plant at around month 1 of ownership). The question raised is this: Is the Jeep truly more reliable than the Toyota? Or is it a misalignment of expectations? Is the one or two bent frame publicity things a sign of some endemic problem with all however many hundred thousand Colorado/Canyons, or did one guy do something insanely stupid and people were surprised?

Seneca. The nature of anger as a byproduct of misaligned expectations. Perceptions of reliability. Discuss.

spectre6000

Observer
In other news that may or may not be off topic, the GM strike is finally over. Hopefully tomorrow something happens and I get a projected build week or whatever it is that happens next.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
yea freaking games I guess they are afraid to say it must be like the Harry Potter Voldemort thing..
Not sure if it is against the rules or not, some forums I read have a sub dedicated to who got banned and why, not trying to be sneaky just trying to keep from pissing off the MODs.

jadmt

ignore button user
buliwyf seems to be MIA of late ok I should have remembered . Hope this does not violate a rule as that is not my intent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles