Help with system design (this stuff hurts my brain, yes I have used search)

Atagrob

We have a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab. We are building it for western U.S. camping. Sometime in camp grounds, sometimes in boondocks.

Have tow package so 130amp alternator.
New Interstate MTP-27F battery. (RC) Min @ 25 Amp 165 (I think this is important but I don't know what it means)

What we want to power:
ARB 50q Fridge, with transit bag, in bed of truck.
Cuisinart Brew Central Coffee Marker, 1 pot in the AM (I believe this requires an inverter to get to 120v?)
Charge cell phones/tablets
A few small LED lights

I'm assuming battery will be fine when we are moving? I'm assuming solar for when we are parked for multiple days?

Goals are to keep it fairly simple with an eye on cost. If we hit bad weather or were falling behind on charging the battery I'm not completely opposed to starting the truck to use alternator. Most of the time we deal with lots of bright sunshine. The more remote our location (no one around to jump us if we screw up) the more careful we would be about monitoring battery.

Given these set of facts what would you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

john61ct

Adventurer
The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. Deka labeled same batts also sold at Lowes.

If alternator is the only charge source a $50 IGN trigger solenoid will do.

If solar, shore power or genny charging, then a Blue Sea ACR instead.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. Deka labeled same batts also sold at Lowes.

If alternator is the only charge source a $50 IGN trigger solenoid will do.

If solar, shore power or genny charging, then a Blue Sea ACR instead.
So you are running 2 6V batteries instead of 1 12V battery? Could you explain a bit more on the way that works?

Photobug

What we want to power
ARB 50q Fridge, with transit bag, in bed of truck.
Cuisinart Brew Central Coffee Marker, 1 pot in the AM (I believe this requires an inverter to get to 120v?)
Charge cell phones/tablets
A few small LED lights

I'm assuming battery will be fine when we are moving? I'm assuming solar for when we are parked for multiple days?

Thanks for your input.

You will want a second house battery or at least a jump start battery to start your truck when you kill it's battery.

An alternator is a poor source of charging, unless you invest in an expensive set of equipment to make it happen and drive a few hours to get it done. Idling your truck for an hour won't do much for your battery's charge state.

Consider an alternative way of getting your morning coffee fix. The power it will take and the inverter need to run it will cost multiples of what the cofeemaker cost.

Other than that, the rest is easy.

Get a solar panel 100W it can be attached to a roof rack or a fold out "suitcase" style panel.
Get a MPPT or PWM controller.
Get a "house" battery.

Hook it all up and enjoy. If you need more you can add a second house battery and or more solar panels.

Photobug

So you are running 2 6V batteries instead of 1 12V battery? Could you explain a bit more on the way that works?

I am assuming the 6v batteries are to be used as a house (second) battery not the starting battery. Hooked up in series, (think of a flashlight when batteries are put end to end) two 6v batteries equal a 12v output. 6V golf cart are a sweet spot for getting 12v deep cycle battery power.

rkfoote

I added power to the bed of my Tacoma tied to the starter battery. See: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/12v-bed-outlet-install-write-up.378833/
I don't have a write-up, but later I added 100 watts of solar to the roof rack via: https://www.amazon.com/WindyNation-Off-Grid-Controller-Connectors-Mounting/dp/B00JML23X0
(I've since sold the Tacoma, but have done the same setup on a Ram 1500). I've found that the 100 watt panel works great for keeping the battery topped off while running the ARB fridge (assuming you're parking in the sun, and it never gets too hot is western Oregon).

The coffee maker (resistive heating) will drain a battery fast. I'd find an alternative way to make it (propane?) or if you're dead set on using it, you'll need a large inverter (1500 ~ 2000 watts) and I'd keep the rig running anytime you use it to get help from the alternator. Also note that the inverter is going to be drawing near 80~100 amps. If you want to run this from the back of the truck (or the front) you're gonna need some _very_ heavy gauge wire from the battery to the inverter.

Swiftone

I will address the coffee issue. Buy a Jet boil and some sort of a pour over or press system (I use an Aeropress) Many available on line. Packs in a smaller package, makes much better coffee. Easy to master and tastes great. No invertor needed. :) I keep one in my truck for those times on long drives where you just need a hot cup of coffee to stay alert. (seriously - daughter lives in Denver and we are in So Cal. Made many a cup of coffee on the side of the 70 while getting out and stretching my legs)

Others here will address the other power requirements.

Oh - and get an high speed USB adapter that plugs into the 12 volt socket in your dash to charge phones and tablets.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
With proper wiring and inverter, a small (sub 700W) coffee maker should run from the alternator without trouble. Though a jetboil or similar would likely be cheaper. Th3 2x GC2 batteries will supply 100A without issue if needed.

knoxswift

I will address the coffee issue. Buy a Jet boil and some sort of a pour over or press system (I use an Aeropress) Many available on line. Packs in a smaller package, makes much better coffee. Easy to master and tastes great. No invertor needed. :) I keep one in my truck for those times on long drives where you just need a hot cup of coffee to stay alert. (seriously - daughter lives in Denver and we are in So Cal. Made many a cup of coffee on the side of the 70 while getting out and stretching my legs)

Others here will address the other power requirements.

Oh - and get an high speed USB adapter that plugs into the 12 volt socket in your dash to charge phones and tablets.
X2 on the coffee press.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
2 6v golf cart batteries wired in parallel series make a good “house” battery bank, also a good upgrade for a travel trailer that usually comes equipped with one RV/marine battery.

I think he was suggesting that setup for a “house” bank, not as a replacement for the stock starter battery. I’m not aware of anyone that uses two 6v batteries for starting.

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If you want a real coffee maker (we do), the best bet is one with an insulate carafe so the heat plate won't remain on to keep the coffee warm. That way it is only drawing power for 10 minutes or so. Kitchenaid makes one.

Atagrob

As always thank you to those who gave their input.

So it is clear I can't have my coffee maker. I have a coffee press, we use a Camp Chef stove with a full size propane bottle (highly recommend this set up if you like to cook).

the best bet is one with an insulate carafe

This is the solution! I like to brew 1 pot of coffee, drink it over 1 to 1.5 hours. I hate having to brew 1 cup at a time and I hate less then hot coffee. The coffee solution will be a system that allows me to brew my 12 cups all at once then use a high quality Thermos to keep it hot while I drink it over time. No electricity required and a great excuse to buy more coffee paraphernalia!

Other than that, the rest is easy.

Get a solar panel 100W it can be attached to a roof rack or a fold out "suitcase" style panel.
Get a MPPT or PWM controller.
Get a "house" battery.

Hook it all up and enjoy. If you need more you can add a second house battery and or more solar panels.

Solar panel and controller I understand. I understand the idea of a "house" battery.

My new question is would this be part of a dual battery set-up that is connected to the vehicles charging system as well as solar? If so what would the system look like? What connects to what? I'm not a fabricator so suggestion of bolt together, quality affordable system are appreciated.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A dual battery setup with isolator, etc can be the beginnings of a house/aux battery system. Doesn't matter where the battery is mounted, its still an aux battery. Unfortunately we cannot teach you the basics of wiring, and electricity, you need to do some reading to teach yourself. Each vehicle has different spaces, and wiring locations.

Note that good quality deep cycle batteries are not common in the automotive group sizes, and the ones that exist are expensive. So either expect a short life from the others, or find another location for a better quality, and generally larger/taller true deep cycle.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
And a fairly robust inverter at that... Dunno the 'specs of that coffee maker, but if it brews more than a few cups, typically thats 800W or more.
800W from an inverter will draw about 80A from your 12V battery.
You better keep your motor running whilst brewing
And just so that no one is tempted, the one built into some Tacomas is optimistically rated at 400W max. It's not what one would call "high quality" either. Would be acceptable for a heating element without conditioning, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94