?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

phsycle

Adventurer
... I told him I was interested in a new F250/350 gasser and he said I was nuts.

I just asked him to clarify and he said not recall related just 56 transmission jobs total in the shop and not many 10 speeds and not all trucks so that does change things. I was talking F250/350 so when he said they had 56 transmission jobs I assumed SD's but now sounds like that is not the case.

I don't get this. So hardly any in the shop are new 10 speed SD's and yet you are nuts for shopping SD's? Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic friend.

jadmt

ignore button user
I don't get this. So hardly any in the shop are new 10 speed SD's and yet you are nuts for shopping SD's? Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic friend.

He works on Fords all day long and he said he would not get a new Ford pickup to much ******** going wrong. He has a 2011 F250 and his wife drives an explorer. He also drives a 2014 Jeep jkur and a Ferrari 458 Italia that he stole for $150K which tells you he is not afraid of unreliable stuff lol. I told Him I thought the 10 speed was supposed to be bullet proof he said "no" lol.

D

Deleted member 9101

and wheel liners they are not that expensive.

By far the cheapest place to get them is on Amazon. Search for "used" wheel well liners and they will be less than 50% of the price from Ford.

The last two sets that I bought that way were brand new and never installed...but the boxes were damaged, so they were sold as used.

D

Deleted member 9101

I told Him I thought the 10 speed was supposed to be bullet proof he said "no" lol.

Unless he is privied to the data showing the number of repairs vs trucks sold... He's just voicing his opinion. If you look at the number of SD trucks on the road and their sales number, clearly there is no issues woth the transmission.

jadmt

ignore button user
Unless he is privied to the data showing the number of repairs vs trucks sold... He's just voicing his opinion. If you look at the number of SD trucks on the road and their sales number, clearly there is no issues woth the transmission.
yes he is just voicing his bias opinion as some one who works on them all day long and has been a Ford mechanic for around 36 years. I know when it comes to buying a new vehicle I would always trust the sales person over the mechanic :). but hey I like new stuff so it is easy for me to trust the salesman as they are only looking out for my best interests. My buddy he only works on stuff and he really could care less what I buy.

D

Deleted member 9101

yes he is just voicing his bias opinion as some one who works on them all day long and has been a Ford mechanic for around 36 years. I know when it comes to buying a new vehicle I would always trust the sales person over the mechanic :). but hey I like new stuff so it is easy for me to trust the salesman as they are only looking out for my best interests. My buddy he only works on stuff and he really could care less what I buy.

The thing is, even if he works on 10 a day.... That number (and corresponding opinion) is meaningless with out more data. He is oblivious to the actual reliability, since he doesn't know how many are sold, still on the road, or needing repairs.

The reality is the 6.2 Super Duty is damn near bullet proof. I work for the State of Florida and we have hundreds of them spread out across different agencies. When I spoke to various fleet managers across the State before buying one, they all agreed that the Super Dutys were problem free and only required the most basic of maintaince. The trucks range from patrol vehicles for LEOs to my office where they get burried in the mud on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bama67

That makes no sense. You sure your buddy doesn't work at a RAM dealer.

We had a huge fleet of Super Duties in West TX that catch total hell and we NEVER had one in my tenure there to have a transmission issue. Also never heard of it on the various forums I am on.

Oh, and how can he have so many Super Duties with 10spd issues when the 10spd isn't even available in the Super Duty yet?

phsycle

Adventurer

I'm not sure where the salesman comment came from, but I think the point was, your friend sees a very very small sample size. Is he actually seeing a larger percentage of SD's having issues, or just a larger number due to the fact that sales have almost doubled since 2011?

jadmt

ignore button user
The thing is, even if he works on 10 a day.... That number (and corresponding opinion) is meaningless with out more data. He is oblivious to the actual reliability, since he doesn't know how many are sold, still on the road, or needing repairs.

The reality is the 6.2 Super Duty is damn neat bullet proof. I work for the State of Florida and we have hundreds of them spread out across different agencies. When I spoke to various fleet managers across the State before buying one, they all agreed that the Super Dutys were problem free and only required the most basic of maintaince. The trucks range from patrol vehicles for LEOs to my office where they get burried in the mud on a daily basis.
I am agreeing with you...
That makes no sense. You sure your buddy doesn't work at a RAM dealer.

We had a huge fleet of Super Duties in West TX that catch total hell and we NEVER had one in my tenure there to have a transmission issue. Also never heard of it on the various forums I am on.

Oh, and how can he have so many Super Duties with 10spd issues when the 10spd isn't even available in the Super Duty yet?
I clarified that I thought it was SD because that is what I want and he said all different vehicles.

jadmt

ignore button user
I'm not sure where the salesman comment came from, but I think the point was, your friend sees a very very small sample size. Is he actually seeing a larger percentage of SD's having issues, or just a larger number due to the fact that sales have almost doubled since 2011?
written words never invoke the humor that was meant. What I mean is I want one so I listen to sales pitches over mechanics gripes.

Alloy

I know 4 techs none of the would buy a first year vehicle. One said the might get one at the end of the model year if they didn't see too many in the shop.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am agreeing with you...

I clarified that I thought it was SD because that is what I want and he said all different vehicles.

Well...even if he was talking about the 10 speed in the Muatang/Ranger/F150/Expedition/Navigator/ Everist... Then he's wrong. The new 10 speed tranny can take hundreds more HP/TQ than the motors in front of them produce and not flinch. There are literailly millions of them on the road right now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I don't worry too much about 1st year stuff.

The '99 Grand Cherokee I had was a 1st year model it was fine. As was the 2000 Suburban I owned, the '99 Grand Am, the '03 Accord...

Our '14 Cherokee was a first year. No issues.

The '15 F150 that replaced it is a first year. I've put over 60,000 trouble free miles on it so far.

Besides, weren't the two Tundras that hit a million miles 2007's? Which correct me if I'm wrong were 1st year models for that generation of Tundra....

Last edited:

Alloy

Well...even if he was talking about the 10 speed in the Muatang/Ranger/F150/Expedition/Navigator/ Everist... Then he's wrong. The new 10 speed tranny can take hundreds more HP/TQ than the motors in front of them produce and not flinch. There are literailly millions of them on the road right now.

I'll drive 2-F150s. One is owned by a freind the other by the father in law. Both have issues with tranmission shifting. It's the software not the tranmission.

Ford says there's no harm, nothing wrong when the transmission jumps gears and makes a thunk.

When not loaded the father in law has several of the gears locked out in his F150

May also want to look into the durability of the aluminum boxes. From what I've seen they are not as durable as a steel box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles