Hard Sides in standard pop up

SixLug

Explorer
So, I am in the beginning stages of looking at pop up truck campers, and I see the same things over and over about cold weather camping and the soft sides not being the best thing for that overall. That is the general consensus it seems, and it makes sense. Those that have the pop ups, why not try to add 4 removable "panels" that are hinged or something so when the camper is popped up, you just fold up the panels on all four sides and now you have actual "walls". They could be some kind of honeycomb or insulated panels. Very crude drawing, aft looking forward, below. Make sense? Already thought of?

Untitled.jpg

Photobug

If you buy the right popups the walls come insulated or a winter kit is an option. Hallmark, Outfitter, Norstar I believe have this option. Other than that the mylar silver bubble sheets are often used to insulate and create a blackout curtains. I use it in my truck shell and it does a good job and can be rolled up and left at home in summer.

john61ct

Adventurer
Reflectix type sheets offer insignificant insulation.

At least an inch of high R-value is the least I'd bother with.

Being more comfortable is one goal.

But with an active heat source, the fuel savings usually pay for whatever you can do to slow down heat losses.

Obviously, the use case rules, camping out in ski area parking lots or Alaskan wilderness in winter, is different from the desert at night.

The Artisan

Adventurer
So, I am in the beginning stages of looking at pop up truck campers, and I see the same things over and over about cold weather camping and the soft sides not being the best thing for that overall. That is the general consensus it seems, and it makes sense. Those that have the pop ups, why not try to add 4 removable "panels" that are hinged or something so when the camper is popped up, you just fold up the panels on all four sides and now you have actual "walls". They could be some kind of honeycomb or insulated panels. Very crude drawing, aft looking forward, below. Make sense? Already thought of?

Untitled.jpg
I have something similar but hardsides
Kevin20190615_083911.jpg

Photobug

Yes systems with fold down hardwalls exist in Europe. and https://www.sandkorn-leichtbau.eu/

The problem I envision and is demonstrated by this German model: You are stuck with big solid panels in your trailer year around. It looks like the shell is almost useless in the down mode with the big panels taking up headroom and moveable space. Then popped up there are no windows. So stealth camping is not an option and you end up with a camper geared for winter camping and losing some summer comfort.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Do it! I've thought of the same thing many times. Soft walls are not my jam. The result of years in tents. Should be simple. Piano hinges and he made panels.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Speak of the devil:

LosAngeles

Do it! I've thought of the same thing many times. Soft walls are not my jam. The result of years in tents. Should be simple. Piano hinges and he made panels.

Except you are adding a lot of weight to have solid walls come up where the soft wall in a Hallmark is, for example.

plus the Hallmark 3 layer soft wall is no joke. People regularly camp in below freezing with no problems.

We are getting a Hallmark, but with the super efficient and quiet Truma Combi Plus. Runs on 120v or Propane. Well auto switch over. Not cheap, but nothing like a tent! ;-)

just my 2c.

beef tits

Unfortunately the best option for true winter camping is a hard-side. I have not seen a good option yet for a true 4-season pop-up. Freeze protection is another issue altogether with water systems. Even in my hard-side I have to limit my water usage to spring summer fall typically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles