Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

biedron

Those are correct, I was a little confused at first too. The zipper is not attached to the backing, the backing creates the pocket that slides onto the headliner (like a pillow case, and is hidden when you re-install the headliner), the Velcro that affixes to the headliner closes off the fourth side. It is hard to slide into place because th hook Velcro catches on the headliner unless you have a long enough strip of loop Velcro to keep from getting hung up on the headliner. I wish I would have taken more pictures during the install, I didn’t take a picture of the roof side of the headliner.

View attachment 543053

Much obliged! I had wondered why you removed the headliner completely. The "pillow case" description makes sense.

biedron

Much obliged! I had wondered why you removed the headliner completely. The "pillow case" description makes sense.

Got the map pockets installed today. Thanks again for the tips larock1971

I managed to loose one of the button head cap screws in some black hole while reinstalling the headliner so I’m going to have to ask John what the size is so I can find a replacement

JDaPP

Adventurer
Hate to do it but have posted mine for sale:

86scotty

Cynic
scotty, who makes that ladder and have you had any issues using it?

rusty, how stable is that with it just resting against the top?

I made it out of some scrap I had on hand. It's heavy but we loved it. It's 1x2 mild steel, not sure of the thickness but I can measure it. I have some still around.

It made a huge difference for us with the J30 since after we put storage boxes (home built Goose Gear style, but taller) getting to bed from the inside basically became impossible.

86scotty

Cynic
Expo East: Any J30 owners going? I'm not a J30 owner any more but we'll be there and curious if any of you guys here are going. We're camping off site due to the insane cost of camping on site. That's my little protest. I hope it helps.

Who's going and where are you camping?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Expo East: Any J30 owners going? I'm not a J30 owner any more but we'll be there and curious if any of you guys here are going. We're camping off site due to the insane cost of camping on site. That's my little protest. I hope it helps.

Who's going and where are you camping?

I'll be there with my around-Africa "open floor plan" J30. I've got my own booth in the vendor area, under the mushrooms :)
I'm hosting a party on Friday night, swing on by for some laughs and games.

-Dan

sbly

Observer
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this but I know guys are always looking for Ursa Minor J30s. Just a heads up for anyone in the market for a Jeep/J30, Lum's Auto Center in Warrenton Oregon will be selling a 2018 Jeep JKUR Recon edition in Gobi with a black Ursa Minor J30. The Jeep has a long list of modifications (AEV 2.5"....) and the J30 has a few mods (CVT awnings....) also. A point of contact at Lum's is Jody, (503) 440-5882.

Roger M.

Adventurer
For those who don't follow the Venture4WD YouTube series with Chris Schontz, and who may not have seen this weeks episode on YouTube ... as a testament to durability and construction quality of the Ursa Minor pop-top, Chris flipped his Jeep on its side while travelling at speed, and wound up at rest in a water filled ditch. Except for having to dry a bunch of sleeping items out and do some work on his fuse box (which was immersed in the water), the Ursa Minor top was tough enough to come out of the crash pretty much totally unscathed.

Shaken up, but determined to push on ... this weeks YouTube episode is worth a watch as a demo of the toughness of the Jeep, the toughness of the Ursa Minor pop-top, and of course the determination and toughness of Chris, who pressed on nonetheless, while still obviously very shaken up from the crash.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I'm trying to prewire my JK for my top that's due to be finished next month. How much of the pigtail protrudes from the B pillar and what type of plug does Ursa Minor use? They're supposed to ship me a harness but it's yet to show up and it's getting cold here. I figured If I knew what plug is used I can source it myself and get the job done!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For those who don't follow the Venture4WD YouTube series with Chris Schontz, and who may not have seen this weeks episode on YouTube ... as a testament to durability and construction quality of the Ursa Minor pop-top, Chris flipped his Jeep on its side while travelling at speed, and wound up at rest in a water filled ditch. Except for having to dry a bunch of sleeping items out and do some work on his fuse box (which was immersed in the water), the Ursa Minor top was tough enough to come out of the crash pretty much totally unscathed.

Shaken up, but determined to push on ... this weeks YouTube episode is worth a watch as a demo of the toughness of the Jeep, the toughness of the Ursa Minor pop-top, and of course the determination and toughness of Chris, who pressed on nonetheless, while still obviously very shaken up from the crash.

Wow, I had not seen that yet.

I also put mine on it's side, and it just barely chipped the fiberglass on the roof. The J30 is extremely tough!

-Dan

larock1971

I'm trying to prewire my JK for my top that's due to be finished next month. How much of the pigtail protrudes from the B pillar and what type of plug does Ursa Minor use? They're supposed to ship me a harness but it's yet to show up and it's getting cold here. I figured If I knew what plug is used I can source it myself and get the job done!

Here’s a couple pictures of the harness connector. If memory serves, the red went to positive on the battery, black went to ground, white went to the third brake light. I tucked the connector and extra wire into the B pillar.

0D12E82C-0AFD-415E-9E33-44522F4CC6F8.jpeg

F7D09A30-A806-4347-AC13-B1296C77BD80.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles