Victron Energy: Alternator/Solar Charging - LFP Battery System

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Note that victron rates their inverters with VA. 1600VA is 1300W continuous (at 25C), Though it can probably supply 2000VA for several minutes before it throttles back.

shade

Note that victron rates their inverters with VA. 1600VA is 1300W continuous (at 25C), Though it can probably supply 2000VA for several minutes before it throttles back.
Oops. Units corrected.

Victron's inverters provide extra start-up power that's about double the continuous output rating. As with some of their other product lines, the 120VAC gear lags their 230VAC options. I think the 1200VA model will be plenty of power for me if the 1600VA model doesn't get released soon, or costs $1000.

shade

To those in the know, what would a DIY 160Ah LFP battery built with similar quality components as the Victron cost? That's the single most expensive part of this system by far, and the only one that's likely to be DIYed, so I'm curious about how much of a premium I paid for the blue case.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Bare cells. Best deal available, about 800-1100$
BMS, programmable, can drive relays, and do cell balancing. 200-450$
Relays or contactors 100-200$
Battery monitor (standalone), 150$

So about 1250-1800$. This doesn't include Chargers, wiring, fuses, etc. Also not included in a battery box and balance boards (if required).

Most of the better commercial grade BMS could use the victron battery protect or similar Solid State relays, and the chargers would also likely be compatible.

shade

Bare cells. Best deal available, about 800-1100$
BMS, programmable, can drive relays, and do cell balancing. 200-450$
Relays or contactors 100-200$
Battery monitor (standalone), 150$

So about 1250-1800$. This doesn't include Chargers, wiring, fuses, etc. Also not included in a battery box and balance boards (if required).
Thanks. Seems like you may be shopping for your parts soon.

I was really just talking about a battery that used external management. With bare cell costs that high, $1400 wasn't so bad.

The rest of the running gear is pretty hard to DIY, so I wouldn't expect to see much savings on those components.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I agree that victron battery is a good deal. Worst case, if victron stops supporting it, or won't sell parts, you can pull the cap off, and access the cells directly.

I did see someone who got an order of 100AH cells from Frey battery MFG direct. They paid 100$ each including shipping. So 400$ per 100AH@12V nominal. A smoking deal really.

Photobug

I'll probably leave room on the board for a second DC-DC, but I may not need it. I'm only planning on heating a few gallons of water in a Corny keg that I pressurize for brief showers.

I can think of a better use for a pressurized corny keg in the backcountry.

shade

I agree that victron battery is a good deal. Worst case, if victron stops supporting it, or won't sell parts, you can pull the cap off, and access the cells directly.

I did see someone who got an order of 100AH cells from Frey battery MFG direct. They paid 100$ each including shipping. So 400$ per 100AH@12V nominal. A smoking deal really.
Yeah, that's exceptional. From what little I've seen, that's more the price range of no-name or used cells.

I'm not sure if Victron glues/welds their cases closed, or if there are some locking tabs accessible through the small vent slots along the top edge. I won't be opening it just to find out, but I may take a closer look.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I never really enjoyed the drinking myself. For some reason I don't need chemical encouragement to say dumb Sh##T. :ROFLMAO: Though I have found it easier to just say I am a recovering alcoholic, otherwise people feel the need to constantly "encourage"us to drink.

I do get some enjoyment watching backpackers struggle with a heavy pack, and discover they have 15lbs of various alcoholic beverages aboard, more than the weight of their food!

As a bonus, this means I have more room in my fridge for great ingredients.

shade

I have too much fun with all of the opportunities provided by sobriety to point & laugh at others. :)

And of course, the derp that flows from me now would definitely increase with boost in BAC.

Photobug

I don't drink the alcohol. Never have. ?‍♀️

No wonder you can afford all the cool electronics.;)

Drinking beer is not just about getting drunk that is just a fringe benefit. To me it's about enjoying the taste of a fine Ale. When I travel I often visit brewpubs or gastropubs to try the local wares. I seldom get drunk well, except when camping. I think of all the money I spent on food and alcohol over the years, and then all the other money I wasted on unimportant things, how many nice toys I could have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles